What was the reasoning behind making it so you have to push a button to find the range of a target using rangefinders. It just seems like you tried to fix something that wasn't broken and the old system was perfectly fine in my opinion.

• Like 1

Well, in response to the third thread or so that's been opened today by people like yourself, because it's more realistic that way. And no, BI probably has no intentions of reverting it back to the old system. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cameron Buchanan said:

What was the reasoning behind making it so you have to push a button to find the range of a target using rangefinders. It just seems like you tried to fix something that wasn't broken and the old system was perfectly fine in my opinion.

Right, and new update 1.70 has just buggered up another truckload of things, why the hell can't BIS stop messing AA3 about?

No sooner do we get familiar with things than they bring out an update and we have to re-learn everything all over again.

The situation is so bad that I'm on the point of abandoning AA3 and switching to other games. 

• Like 1

You'll just have to get used to it. The new system makes more sense than the old one. 

How a real LD works:

A rangefinder emits laser beams at the push of a button. Those beams bounce off distant objects and the rangefinder's high-speed clock measures the total time it took from when the beams left the unit until they returned. IE, push button to range a target.

Although there's a patent pending from 2013 for a continuous range finder.

Most laser range finders don't measure the time (since it's really just small differences) but instead the frequency phase-shift of the light reflected. But the calculations for that alone make a continuous range finding highly unlikely. If you want/need accurate updates on the position of a target, feel free to button mash your range finding key.

14 hours ago, belbo said:

Although there's a patent pending from 2013 for a continuous range finder.

Most laser range finders don't measure the time (since it's really just small differences) but instead the frequency phase-shift of the light reflected. But the calculations for that alone make a continuous range finding highly unlikely. If you want/need accurate updates on the position of a target, feel free to button mash your range finding key.

I don't think military's would want to use continuous range finders (in the future), because they might reveal your position / intentions to advanced sensors of the enemy.

Arma3 is in a weird state right now.

Compared to Arma2 (released in 2009) at the same stage of development A3 is lacking a truckload of assets (look at all the various A2 vehicles, plethora of various stryker (ATGM, CV, ICV M2, ICV Mk19, MC, MGS) and hmmwv (M2, Mk19, Crows, Avenger, TOW,  variants like TOW, mortar, crows, etc), where as A3 only has the most basic variation, same HMG or GMG turret on all 3 faction MRAPs, no other variants given.

Considering A2 had all these vehicles/assets within 2.5 years after release.

There were no changes made to the core gameplay. Please correct me if I failed to remember anything.

Now in A3, we got the enhanced heli flight model (can be turned off), improved infantry stances with weapon deployment in all stances,

then there's the (most likely) abandoned underwater feature and now the new sensors affecting a plethora of vehicles but still have not one single shotgun, motorcycle or bicycle in the game, not to mention female civilians (doesn't really have to be any female soldiers, still this extremely limits mission making).

Anyone remember the alice module in A2? Talking civilians that you could ask questions if they had seen anything? As a vanilla feature?

I think it's a good thing that a game that's almost 4 years old is still receiving such major improvements and gameplay changes.

Who the hell cares about having to push a button when using the rangefinder?

Cheers

• Like 6

As an old man you should know your history better.

If you are going to compare levels of content to ArmA 2, you will be severely disappointed. ArmA 2 was really a game-and-a-half, as it cannibalized large numbers of assets from Game 2, a canceled project that cost BI years of dev time and lots of resources. That will not and should not be repeated.

You also forget how many low-quality vehicle assets ArmA 2 had, again dating to its canceled predecessor. A2 also had a lot of neat gimmicky modules like the armory, ambient combat, quick missions etc, but most of these were really barely functional and in an alpha-like state.

A3's higher standards have tradeoffs. And the feature suite still has expanded enormously. You forget how barebones A2 was. In A3, you barely even need ACE mod, because so many of the formerly-groundbreaking modded features are now standard in the game.

• Like 7

Maybe a controversial opinion but I played OFP for about 8 years, but when Arma 2 came about I felt it was too much like OFP and not worth spending a lot of time on in that era. So I played some other games for a couple of years. Only with Arma 3 I picked up the franchise again. Especially with the recent updates since Tanoa I feel the game has really matured and provides a unique experience. And of course, here and there, there are still clunky OFP remains in the game, so I feel right at home ;-)

HA, these posts are like my go to entertainment now. What a joke. 

On 5/18/2017 at 3:03 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Arma3 is in a weird state right now.

Compared to Arma2 (released in 2009) at the same stage of development A3 is lacking a truckload of assets (look at all the various A2 vehicles, plethora of various stryker (ATGM, CV, ICV M2, ICV Mk19, MC, MGS) and hmmwv (M2, Mk19, Crows, Avenger, TOW,  variants like TOW, mortar, crows, etc), where as A3 only has the most basic variation, same HMG or GMG turret on all 3 faction MRAPs, no other variants given.

Considering A2 had all these vehicles/assets within 2.5 years after release.

There were no changes made to the core gameplay. Please correct me if I failed to remember anything.

Now in A3, we got the enhanced heli flight model (can be turned off), improved infantry stances with weapon deployment in all stances,

then there's the (most likely) abandoned underwater feature and now the new sensors affecting a plethora of vehicles but still have not one single shotgun, motorcycle or bicycle in the game, not to mention female civilians (doesn't really have to be any female soldiers, still this extremely limits mission making).

Anyone remember the alice module in A2? Talking civilians that you could ask questions if they had seen anything? As a vanilla feature?

I think it's a good thing that a game that's almost 4 years old is still receiving such major improvements and gameplay changes.

Who the hell cares about having to push a button when using the rangefinder?

Cheers

arma 3 was more like a base game for people to modify and expand on. Here are your tools, go make great things. 

One and probably the primary reason for this change has been authenticity. Voted tickets even on the old feedback tracker asked for manual lasing and cool-down time.
Together with the addition of tank fire control-systems it made even more sense to make rangefinders operate manually. Otherwise we'd face a discrepancy between having a precise range - anywhere you look, all the time - with a rangefinder and having to press a key in a million-dollar tank cockpit (or less but still expensive RCWS or other advanced systems).

It's also an unification - with the updated Apex or Arma 3 key presets a single key - "T" - gives you a targeting action for the "object" under your cursor in multiple situations
- anywhere - reveal/report target to your group
+ Rangefinder - measure distance
+ RCWS - measure distance and adjust zeroing gun accordingly
+ tank and APC cannons - measure distance, speed, adjust zeroing and lead
+ vehicles or weapons with sensors - mark target

• Like 5

oukej, I don't envy you, but you're doing a great job right now communicating to the community. :)

Funny enough: I have my rangefinder bound to "R" since ages... you now... for R... like... "Range"... :D

9 hours ago, belbo said:

oukej, I don't envy you, but you're doing a great job right now communicating to the community. :)

Funny enough: I have my rangefinder bound to "R" since ages... you now... for R... like... "Range"... :D

It's better than certain angry grumpy rants :D