Sign in to follow this  
scotg

CIP modeling questions

When doing 3D model research for vehicle CIPs, I noticed in some of the accompanying images that the ridges-style CIPs (looks like Venetian blinds) can be pulled out of their brackets and turned around. This changes the slants from upward- to downward-facing, and would potentially give a different thermal reading. In one very specific case, two M2A2 Bradleys cover the flank of a convoy with their rear CIPs flipped, slants facing up. The obvious part is that the diagonally cut corners of these small CIPs would fit with the bracket if they were "un-flipped." The scene is also full of other armored vehicles heading into combat, including an M1A1 with its CIP slants facing up.

Although I found some interesting information about CIPs through my Google searches, there was no description given as to which is the proper way. From visual references, there are as many image results with slants up as there are with slants down. in the RHS vehicle mods, the slants are always down-facing, with an added decal at the top which says "UP ^." It almost seems to imply this is the correct orientation, although it would be in contradiction with the vehicles in that link. Does anybody know for sure if there is a benefit to flipping them or the proper way of inserting them? Perhaps there are combat and non-combat modes? Perhaps it is flipped when in-country, or during an exercise?