Burnie117

Helicopter camera

Hey Dev-Guys,

I hope this is the right section to post this.

I am having serious trouble flying choppers with the new camera settings. Right now the camera is following the choppers movements. If I pull the nose up the camera will go under the chopper and if I tilt the nose down it goes over it. This is causing an issue for people that fly with mouse and keyboard because the chopper will always try to right itself. This means I have to constantly tap W (Nose down) to pick up/keep the speed. With the new settings the camera will bob downwards every time I hit W. That camera bobbing effect is causing me to get dizzy after a few minutes. This was not an issue before since the camera remained somewhat stable.

I would really appreciate it if you could give us the option to use the flight model from before the update. I really love flying in this game but I dont love to throw up over my keyboard.

Thank you and sorry if my English is not so good.

• Like 19

Is there possibility to set old helicopter camera? The new one (sorry but) sucks. A lot of people doesnt like new (locked to back) camera. 

When trying to speed down its problem to land on helipad. I hope there is method to fix that. 

Please, i need quick answer.

Sorry for my eng, its not best but i hope you will understand what i mean.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 11

We're aware of the issue and will come up with a solution. Sorry for the inconvenience. It's been caused by external camera unification so the camera follows vehicle also in pitch. Which is awesome for airplanes, but for helicopters it has reduced the awareness when landing.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, oukej said:

We're aware of the issue and will come up with a solution. Sorry for the inconvenience. It's been caused by external camera unification so the camera follows vehicle also in pitch. Which is awesome for airplanes, but for helicopters it has reduced the awareness when landing.

Balls I ment to bring that up on dev branch a good time ago. 

• Like 3

Merged with another thread.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The HopelessGamer said:

@oukej what about the vtols unable to land in hover mode? I cannot seem to get the hover mode to work very well at all? 

Please check the updated VTOL Field Manual entry.

• Like 2

@oukej

We will wait. I was looking for answers on different forums (for example. steam) and the best option is settings to change camera mode.
Airplane camera:  camera follows vehicle also in pitch. ON/OFF

Helicopter camera:  camera follows vehicle also in pitch. ON/OFF

This will be good :)
Expected time for patch/fix? 

• Like 3

@oukejI was thinking just revert back to the original flight mechanics for the standard setting and change the advanced setting to have the new flight mechanics. That would include all flight mechanics such as vtols included because i can no longer fly them it is incredibly difficult. Simple and easy fix. Win win.

Edited by The HopelessGamer
  • Like 2

Is there a estimated time for the fix .. i loved to fly .. but not as it is now ^^

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oukej said:

Please check the updated VTOL Field Manual entry.

I have and the Blackfish is now almost impossible to fly with the new fiddly key combos and vectoring procedure, and also I can't get the flaps to work. There was nothing wrong with the Blackfish before 1.70, so why change it?

Plus the Blackfish external camera view is now messed up same as the helicopters view because the camera stays pointing in the direction the nose is pointing, which means we lose sight of the ground when flaring for landing etc.

Edit- For good measure I'll mention that since 1.68 the Blackfish in multiplayer doesn't sit on the ground properly before takeoff and after landing.It slides slowly around as if its on ice, bumping into things even when the engines are off and nobody's aboard, what happened to the brakes?

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly agree with Burnie117. I've been flying in ArmA since 2 and it has been one of the best things about the ArmA series. Since the release of 3, this flying mechanics have only improved in quality and feel, but this feels like a step in the wrong direction. I never get motion sick but this put my over in a few minutes; it's a lot like flying in Just Cause 3, awful. I wouldn't say out right remove the new camera system but at least have the functionality of disabling or maybe adjusting the intensity of the camera. Thanks for all the work you guys do on this game, aside from this detail, I'm really enjoying the the new DLC!

• Like 1

wait, this means they did now a fixed camera behind air vehicles that follow it's movement,

does this mean no more freelook arround planes with the use of any headtracker?

can't test atm, can anyone confirm if free 3rd person camera headtracking still works?

• Like 1

Glad to hear BI is fixing this - best case scenario would be a hotfix before the weekend allowing the 3rd person camera modes to be toggled between new and old, independently for helis and planes.

• Like 2

I hope a fix will be released soon actually is hard to land with big helicopter or the huge V44X Blackfish.
i cannot immagine why change things that works well... 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mizar70 said:

I hope a fix will be released soon actually is hard to land with big helicopter or the huge V44X Blackfish.

Not the first time they change something to the worse. Just look how good the game looked prior to the APEX release.  The new lighting destroyed many many custom terrains and they don't even bother to inform the modders how they can change back to the old visuals.

Although somethings got worse there is a need to mention that they improved other things in the game which is of course very positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mizar70 said:

I cannot imagine going to the efforts of setting up an account on a forum to reply to a topic. Only not to bother reading anything in said topic that is a thread 16 posts deep...

Dev stated 3rd post down .. issues with the helos camera this is an unintended knock on from the change to the jets camera. Fair enough. 

• Like 2

yeah this sucks even with head tracking. But if there is a positive side to this i can fly real tight circles around a fixed object such as a tree or tank etc. But yeah please fix the camera to what it was before 1.7. Is there a dev link somewhere we can track the progress on the fix? And don't even get me started on the VTOL's or the barley functional,non moving,incorrect colliders,90% textured,severely reduces performance on multiplayer servers,POS carrier. The Nimitz mod is even better than this. You can't expect us to believe nobody flew a helicopter during testing. They knew this was a problem but released it anyways. How 'bout that Q&A team huh? Thats what im talking about :thumbsup:

Look at this link:

An example. Fixed: Linux Dedicated Server was refusing to start

They didn't run the server before release? WTH?

• Like 1

I have the same problem: I was a good pilot until this cam changes, which comletely fu`` me. Cant ever land slowly now, only with autohover its possible. Why do you update the camera settings and dont do more important stuff like fix the "looking throgh walls" bug? I just cant understand...

3 hours ago, RacerX said:

You can't expect us to believe nobody flew a helicopter during testing. They knew this was a problem but released it anyways. How 'bout that Q&A team huh? Thats what im talking about :thumbsup:

I noticed. then got a call and went out on the pish with my pals. great night. but never reported the camera issue. I take full responsibility.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

I noticed. then got a call and went out on the pish with my pals. great night. but never reported the camera issue. I take full responsibility.

no no. Its my fault. I should of knew better then to buy it lol

Is this the thread for discussing ALL the new 1.70 glitches?

If so, here's another one-

Titan AT missiles are now invisible after firing! Previously you could see the glowing rocket motor exhaust in the crosshairs as it flew towards the target, but now NOTHING!

1 hour ago, pooroldspike said:

Is this the thread for discussing ALL the new 1.70 glitches?

If so, here's another one-

Titan AT missiles are now invisible after firing! Previously you could see the glowing rocket motor exhaust in the crosshairs as it flew towards the target, but now NOTHING!

Jesus,  spike. You shoulda been on development branch last few weeks coulda helped catch half this shit.  

If there is a problem with the titans it may be something to do with the fins that were added. 

Desolate for English google translation

Hello I created a special account please give the user a choice to return to the old view of helicopter piloting the new is unpleasant in air combat and awful during emergency landing and ended up I had a problem with the head, I liked it stolen with the ghost hawk before this update, the new vision disguises me from arma to piloting, I heard a lot of this update for the jet but the opposite is true

13 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Jesus,  spike. You shoulda been on development branch last few weeks coulda helped catch half this shit.  

If there is a problem with the titans it may be something to do with the fins that were added. 

the dev notes say that the rocket motor has been fixed to properly "burn out". This means the motor does not stay burning all the way to the target but burns out before. This IS the accurate way titans work

• Like 2