Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

@ June 27 2003,14:40)]But face it, you can survive in a Yak or La by just yanking and banking- try that sort of thing in an 190 or 109 and you're a dead duck.

And you can survive in a 109 or 190 by booming and zooming, plus you can decide when to engage. If I try to fly at 4000 meters in a La or a Yak I'm a dead duck as well...I've seen quite a few 109 and 190 pilots online who I just couldn't touch because they kept their speed up... each aircraft has individual strenghts and weaknesses which are only enhanced if you used teamwork and tactics, so what's your point? ;)

Admit it, you're just recruiting for the Luftwaffe  wink_o.gif

dammit you're good tounge_o.gif

I was going to try the "Only commie bastards fly Soviet planes" tack, but then I remembered how many Euros we have here, and realized that saying something to that effect might be counter-productive. biggrin_o.gif

I didn't understand a single word of what you were talking about. I guess I need to learn more about tactics to understand it. BTW thanks for the links Tovarish. tounge_o.gif

$33ker @ June 27 2003,17:40)]I didn't understand a single word of what you were talking about.

Basically, Tex and I were agreeing in that you should fly Russian planes  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I guess I need to learn more about tactics to understand it. BTW thanks for the links Tovarish. tounge_o.gif

Just found another link for you, good stuff, just wish they chose a better font/background combination, it isn't all that easy to read  tounge_o.gif.

http://www.dirtydozen.i8.com/tactics.html

In either case, keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it smile_o.gif.

*edit* replaced with much better link

I can't get onto the IL2 forums right now but since I find this place friendlier anyway I'll post here.

Anyway just got IL2FB and seem to be getting to grips with it. Sadly my machine is so basic that I've had to turn off so many options that its only a shadow of what it could be.

I'm not sure how much I thnk its an improvement though. Single player is kind of tedious in the length of time I'm spending before I get to fight. But whats really ticking me off is the damage model against the AI. Does the AI suffer any effect for anything but a critical hit ( ie. pilot, engine, fuel tank ). I've shot aircraft so full of holes I can't believe they still fly but infact they'll pull snap turns and attack me.

Theres an option for easy gunery but it's too easy. Anybody know of a mod or switch that makes single player guns a bit more effective without making it an outright arcade game?

I can't get onto the IL2 forums right now but since I find this place friendlier anyway I'll post here.

Anyway just got IL2FB and seem to be getting to grips with it. Sadly my machine is so basic that I've had to turn off so many options that its only a shadow of what it could be.

I'm not sure how much I thnk its an improvement though. Single player is kind of tedious in the length of time I'm spending before I get to fight. But whats really ticking me off is the damage model against the AI. Does the AI suffer any effect for anything but a critical hit ( ie. pilot, engine, fuel tank ). I've shot aircraft so full of holes I can't believe they still fly but infact they'll pull snap turns and attack me.

Theres an option for easy gunery but it's too easy. Anybody know of a mod or switch that makes single player guns a bit more effective without making it an outright arcade game?

Yes, its called the Mk108 cannon. Hard for the buggers to fly when their wings are missing.

You need to tell us the aircraft your flying,as the armament differs quite alot.

Like Badgerboy said, if you're flying an I-153 or an I-16 model 18 wit 7.62 machine guns, expect to do a lot of spraying with little results. Same goes for the machine guns on the 109's - they had about half the rate of fire as their Soviet counterparts, and especially the early 109's with cannon smaller than 20mm.

Actually thats not quite what I meant though thanks. I can do the damage even with the smaller guns as I rarely shoot until I'm under 100m. Even the smaller guns can be quite nasty that close.

What I'm having occasional problems with is that I do a lot of damage and get no benefit from it, even with field guns under my wings. If the AI punches a large hole in my wing I find the balance of my plane shifts drastically one way, I loose my rudder and I can't yaw. A damaged human plane can be a real challange to keep in the air and ease back to your own lines.

However,if I shoot off every control surface and punch great holes in every part of an AI plane he keeps flying fine unless I hit a critical part like the engine.

I can score my share of kills even with the lesser weapons ( just had three with an early Bf109 just 30 minutes ago ). Its just that the AI plays under different rules to me and sometimes I feel very cheated when I have done enough damage to down a human player but the AI won't recognize it.

In OFP terms I feel like I'm playing against AI who are immune to anything but head or chest shots while I still take damage as normal. Not very fair when it happens. However the next option up ( turning off realistic gunnery ) is like putting a death ray on the plane. Its far too powerful to be fun.

I have however found the situation has been improved by turning all my graphics options down to 'pig ugly' and squeezing a few extra frames/second out of the game. I figure that while the game runs slower a few of my bullets might get 'dropped' resulting in fewer hits than I deserved.

I`ve got all my machine guns stuck  on 100m but kept the cannons for longer range.

The il-2s a funny plane to start off  with playing on line as it pisses ppl off when they think there in for an easy kill and then the fun begins as u wobble about and let ur tailgunner fire away plus  u can see behind  u better in it by switching to  tailgunner if ur on a server with cockpit view only  biggrin_o.gif

One of the manuavers that i can`t get the hang of is when ur flying too fast onto a slower plane.

When im the slower plane the enemy seems to do a big yo-yo and always finds my tail end where as when  i try that  i always lose my target sad_o.gif

One more thing,will we ever see the spitfire in Il-2?

Ah, the beloved yo-yo. Best way to practise that is to make repeated runs on a friendly aircraft. If your playing in a server without padlock, then use your intruments.

Practise with padlock, and try to remember how many degrees of bank and pitch it takes to yo-yo a aircraft at a particular speed, and then apply that in the no padlock server.

(I always fly with the padlock. Flying with a 17" tunnel doesn't cut it. I had no problem tracking other aircraft when I was practising aerobatics in RL, so until they release a 360' wrap around screen for home computers (I've used a proper simulator one before and it was fantastic), I'll stick with padlock, as it IS actually more realistic in that respect.

Hmmm... tried to play the demo today, and i must say: I Suck!! tounge_o.gif

How do you people navigate in those huge maps where you hardly can recognize where you are? and how does padlock work? I tried it but nothing happened! too bad the training doesn't work in the demo. sad_o.gif

$33ker @ June 27 2003,17:40)]I didn't understand a single word of what you were talking about.

Basically, Tex and I were agreeing in that you should fly Russian planes  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

lies!

Quote[/b] ]One of the manuavers that i can`t get the hang of is when ur flying too fast onto a slower plane.

When im the slower plane the enemy seems to do a big yo-yo and always finds my tail end where as when i try that i always lose my target

Try barrel-rolls.

@ June 30 2003,03:46)]

lies!

Quote[/b] ]One of the manuavers that i can`t get the hang of is when ur flying too fast onto a slower plane.

When im the slower plane the enemy seems to do a big yo-yo and always finds my tail end where as when  i try that  i always lose my target

Try barrel-rolls.

Why waste E though? Keep practising those Yo-yo's, they will help you immensely if you like to B&Z.

$33ker @ June 29 2003,23:10)]how does padlock work? I tried it but nothing happened!

According to this old site:

Padlock Enemy:  Padlocks the closest enemy object (aircraft or vehicle) within a three (3) kilometre range and within the current field of view.  Padlock is lost when this object goes beyond the natural field of view or fly's into cloud.  With 'No Icons' selected under the 'Difficulty' settings, padlock will not differentiate between friendly or enemy.

A padlocked target has a red triangle around it.

Hi does any ones game freeze crashes after 10-30 minutes or 20 seconds because mine crashs after 10-30 minutes here are my system specs.

MotherBoard & Chipset- AK79G AMD

Processor- 1.4 ghz AMD Athlon

Memory - 512Mb

Graphics Card - NVIDA Geforce 2 Ultra

Sound Card - Sound blaster live!

Operating System - Windows ME

Yes I had this freezing problem when using 2 PC133 ram sticks together. Switched to one 512MB 333DDR module and I get no more freezing.

However for you it could be a CPU overheating problem or something else. Maybe even try lowering the timing settings for your RAM in the BIOS.

Also, if you have a Live! Value card I suggest you take it out now, and replace it with something that's a little safer. tounge_o.gif

I've got a question for you Luftwaffe types, on the proper use of MW50 boost with Complex Engine Management. It seems like when I activate it, I take a 50% gamble on blowing my engine. I've read on the Ubi forums to throttle back before activating and deactivating, but I either forgot to do so in the heat of battle, or there's more to it.

Badgerboy? Tex? Anybody? smile_o.gif.

never had any problems with engines blowing, but I have experienced almost complete loss of power when I fiddle with the mixture settings while the MW50 is activated. Other than that, haven't really had any problems.

@ July 07 2003,15:15)]but I have experienced almost complete loss of power when I fiddle with the mixture settings while the MW50 is activated.

Yeah I should have been more clear, that's what I'm experiencing. Nothing noticeably goes Kaboom, but RPM spikes and then drops never to rise again. So something in the engine obviously blows.

*edit* BTW I'm starting to really like the bf109G-10 smile_o.gif. Good mix of power and maneuverability, now if I can just use the boost properly...

My experience is to just leave well enough alone in planes with the MW50- they always seem to have more than enough engine power as it is.