Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

ok then so whats the best plane u`ve found so far and how are the bombers working out smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Mar. 20 2003,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok then so whats the best plane u`ve found so far and how are the bombers working out smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my personal favorite is the 109F4, but I have no illusions- the best prop plane in the game is without doubt the Yak-3, with the La7/La5 coming in second. It is the closest thing to yank n' bank that you'll find in the game. Plus, they've upped the meanness of the Yak-3's armament to the point that it kind of scares me lol. I put a stream of mg fire into a K4, and the poor bastard didn't even have a chance to bail out before the thing blew up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and how are the bombers working out <span id='postcolor'>

Visually, they look great, but the AI needs some work. Bombers should never attempt stall turns at 400 feet! Best bet, steer clear of the bomber campaign until it gets patched.

A plus point however; night raids on cities! Getting lit up by the searchlights is an scary feeling...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Mar. 20 2003,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok then so whats the best plane u`ve found so far and how are the bombers working out smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'll report on the bombers in a bit. Flying the I-16 has been getting a bit repetitive (and now I find out that the reason I haven't been downed by enemy fire might have to do with the fact that they're damn near invulnerable to low caliber machine guns unless you shoot the pilot..there goes my ego tounge.gif ). So I'll start a TB-3 campaign

WoOt! I just shot down that ace in the P39 smile.gif

It took me four tries, but I think I got lucky... he attempted to run for some reason, even though he had all his ammo left. Maybe he just wanted to put some distance between us so he could turn around, I dunno. I was flying a BF109F4.

I tried to fight that ace who flies a LA7, but I got roxxored sad.gif I was using the FW190A5, but he got me with relative ease.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 18 2003,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do know that the 'Ace' AI will kick anyone's ass at any time, when given a halfway decent airplane- put the Prokryshkyn P-39 on Ace and I defy you to to do anything but run away. I know- I spent the better part of an afternoon trying to beat it, and got maybe 3 or 4 hits lol.<span id='postcolor'>

Was he supposed to be hard? First try in a Bf-109F4

http://members.shaw.ca/cinman/temp.trk

tounge.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 20 2003,04:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was he supposed to be hard? First try in a Bf-109F4

tounge.gif

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Fine, make me feel inferior lol

Well, I see what Badgerboy means about bomber AI being a bit wacky. Near the end of the mission one of our flight started maneuvering like a fighter (for no reason, we weren't under attack) Almost flew into me, and eventually crashed. Crazy bastard. Other than that...taking of has never been such a challange! biggrin.gif Damn, I almost took off sideways, that was a hairy moment indeed in a 4 engined bomber and a full bombload smile.gif. I think I might like this. The bomb sight kicks ass!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 20 2003,04:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 20 2003,04wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was he supposed to be hard? First try in a Bf-109F4

tounge.gif

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Fine, make me feel inferior lol<span id='postcolor'>

Bah, watching you guys and I'm half expecting Sidewinders to start flying from all the Heads Up Display style visual aids you use tounge.gifwink.gif

when I can afford track ir I'll give up the padlock, but hey I'm sitting in front of a 17in monitor for god sake!

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 20 2003,05:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when I can afford track ir I'll give up the padlock, but hey I'm sitting in front of a 17in monitor for god sake!<span id='postcolor'>

15in and I use a hat switch wink.gif. BTW, I just completed a track that I challenge anyone to duplicate or beat. I'm going to upload it to my student webspace tomorrow and then I'll post it here. I'll e-mail it to Tex though since I have his adress, anyone else who wants to see it  now PM me within the next 5 or so minutes before I go to bed smile.gif.

*edit* I was referring more to the distance readout and the speedbar as opposed to padlock. I'd use it myself if it didn't completely disorient me. As it is, I've gotten pretty good at using the hat switch for situational awareness.

Allright! Just as promised here's Tex's track:

http://academic.algonquincollege.com/student....kyn.TRK

And I don't mean to steal your thunder bro, but here is, in my opinion, the coolest track I've ever recorded - Me in my Yak-3 vs not one, not two, but 3 Kozhedub La-7's set to Ace. Beat that! biggrin.gif

http://academic.algonquincollege.com/student....la7.TRK

Pfft... only on of those is a real kill- the other two crash on their own  smile.gif  as soon as I get home I'll see if I can top it

what did impress me was where you actually dragged your wing on the ground for a split second. Very cool

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 20 2003,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pfft... only on of those is a real kill- the other two crash on their own  smile.gif  as soon as I get home I'll see if I can top it

what did impress me was where you actually dragged your wing on the ground for a split second. Very cool<span id='postcolor'>

In real life they would have counted as kills - the first two went down while taking evasive action after I had fired on them. I've said it before, I like low level dogfighting because most AI and other humans can't handle it and will crash eventually. I'd like to see you fly that long turning like that at under 10 meters with no speedbar wink.gif (btw, the wing touch wasn't intentional, I kind of panicked when that La7 nicked me with it's guns, and when I felt the wing nick the ground I nearly pissed myself biggrin.gif )

*edit* watched the track again with extrernal views of the other planes. The first one to go down crashed while taking offensive action against me, but still after I had fired on and hit him smile.gif

Well I've got the IL2 demo and i wanted to buy FB but my comp is too old (AMD Duron 800 + 384mb Ram + GF2MX 400 32mb) and im not buying a new comp until OFP 2... (want a good one then)

So im looking for the orig version..

But for now the demo is fun.. i love the FW190A5 (stalls quick though.. ) and also the Yak 9T (love the cannon).. im learning how to fly planes and aim and ive shot quite a few planes.. still i can't wait until i get the full version smile.gif:)

That's not too far from my specs.

PIII 733 (overclocked -940)

512 PC133 Ram

Radeon 7500 64mb DDR

I would up the Ram to 512 and definitely get a better Graphics card, but you're not in completely horrible shape as far as CPU is concerned. The good news if you're looking for the original is that the price has plumetted. Bad news is, you'd be missing out on a lot.

*edit* you do realize how long the first OFP was under development don't you? wink.gif

Well Torvarish, I guess I disagree with you on sim helpers. As far as I am concerned that a flight sim shouldn't be harder than RL. The fact that I don't have peripheral vision means that seeing my insturments is harder than it should be. A glance down is now 1 or 2 hat switch hits. As for icons. I know I can see farther than the dots on the monitor. I could turn them down to say 2km I would, but I can't.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 21 2003,05:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well Torvarish, I guess I disagree with you on sim helpers. As far as I am concerned that a flight sim shouldn't be harder than RL. The fact that I don't have peripheral vision means that seeing my insturments is harder than it should be. A glance down is now 1 or 2 hat switch hits. As for icons. I know I can see farther than the dots on the monitor. I could turn them down to say 2km I would, but I can't.<span id='postcolor'>

I understand the resolution limitations of a computer screen versus the human eye, and I wasn't entirely serious when I critizised you for using those aids hence the " wink.gif " smiley smile.gif (FYI, I know I've seen icons being limited in their effectiveness online...in some servers they only show up within 1km or so...beats me as to how to change that though). To me though they detract from the  atmosphere of the game...it's a personal thing and I've learned to do without them. Besides, online, if icons are off everyone has the same view limitations. As far as the speedbar goes, I used it in the original Il-2 until I got FB, and I find it much more satisfying to use the actual guages on the aircraft as opposed to a digital readout. WW2 pilots had to look down into the cockpit, and I don't see one flick of the hat switch as a horribly ineffective way of doing it. Then again, just personal preference I guess.

*edit* "wide" cockpit view also helps see all your instruments, that's what I used mostly in the Yak-3 vs 3 La7's track

Well, I tried it Tov, and I shot down all three (pilot kill on first pass, engine explosion, and sawed off the last one's wing). Unfortunately, it went so well that I got greedy and instead of taping it, I went right on in for 4 La-7s, and haven't been doing as well (always scoring kills, never sealing the deal). As soon as I do, I'll be sure to post it smile.gif

Il see about it Tovarish.. i might be able to overclock my CPU too...

For now im having lots of fun with the YAK 9T..

Yesterday I made a quick mission with my squad (3 planes) against 4 JU52's (on Ace) and 2 ME109G2's (veteran)

we shot down the ME's and after that we went after the ju's and i quickly shot down 2 before both my guns jammed.. the AI shot down another and i tried a new approach... i set the time at the slowest and slowly moved towards the JU52 and then rammed it.. i lost a few rudders in the progress but the JU fell down.. i managed to land and then I ended the mission tounge.gif..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 21 2003,08:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I tried it Tov, and I shot down all three (pilot kill on first pass, engine explosion, and sawed off the last one's wing). Unfortunately, it went so well that I got greedy and instead of taping it, I went right on in for 4 La-7s, and haven't been doing as well (always scoring kills, never sealing the deal). As soon as I do, I'll be sure to post it  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Greed is a bitch isn't it? biggrin.gif. Nice work downing all three. Did you do it without using externals? One other reason I chose to fight them low is I knew that at altitude there would be no way I'd down one without another sneaking up behind me, and unfortunately the Yak-3 dosen't have mirrors. So I made myself an almost impossible target by turning hard right off the deck to make up for the inability to track 3 planes at once or constantly watch my six.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Mar. 22 2003,02:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well...... I finally got it, were do you all play online at?<span id='postcolor'>

HyperLobby is probably the best match service:

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/