Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Ohh, for those that would like to get to know a bit more about The Forgotten Battles addon for IL2; you can check these sub-sites of the IL2 main site: http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_features.php and http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_screenshots.php and last but not least http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php.

I'm looking forward to getting into some (heated) discussions with all of you again! smile.gif

And now it's simply a thread about the new IL2 addon which it should have been about in the first place.

If you want to cyber with each other do it in PM's smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to the ME262. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it only carries 100 30mm. rounds sad.gif Maybe the ground attack variant will help me ration my ammo better, since it has two 30mm guns. But thats still more than enough.

And theres some other Russian plane, its a heavy bomber. It has an open cockpit, and looks sort of boxy. I forgot the name, but it looks really cool too. smile.gif I think it was the T-3 or something, I dunno.

And the British Hurricane looks really awesome too. In fact, I'm looking forward to all the lend-lease planes.

Now I need to buy a new joystick! Wo0t!

It looks great. With only a 100 rounds thats more than enough, just close in until the bomber fills your sight and squeeze. A short burst from a single Mk108 in a Bf109 takes down the largest plane, so imagine what 4 would do smile.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Nov. 10 2002,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And now it's simply a thread about the new IL2 addon which it should have been about in the first place.

If you want to cyber with each other do it in PM's smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, yea. The title isn't as catchy anymore though! smile.gif

Thanks anyway. tounge.gif

Yeah i went out to the mall yesterday and picked up a copy of this game along with precision 2 joystick. Kicks ass !

I tried a dogfight with the Me262. Fucking pointless! biggrin.gif

Tracers with the smoke from their burning magnesium looks so hot. (hint BIS) not to mention the explosions and fire/smoke (hint BIS).

Ok off I go now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Nov. 10 2002,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm really looking forward to the ME262.  The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it only carries 100 30mm. rounds sad.gif  Maybe the ground attack variant will help me ration my ammo better, since it has two 30mm guns.  But thats still more than enough.

And theres some other Russian plane, its a heavy bomber.  It has an open cockpit, and looks sort of boxy.  I forgot the name, but it looks really cool too. smile.gif  I think it was the T-3 or something, I dunno.

And the British Hurricane looks really awesome too.  In fact, I'm looking forward to all the lend-lease planes.

Now I need to buy a new joystick! Wo0t!<span id='postcolor'>

Ah yes, the TB3 Russian heavy bomber. I'm also looking forward very much to the Heinkel He-111H-2. The plane I'll be flying will either be a Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4 or Focke Wulf FW-190D-9 though. Probably the Dora 9, as it will require a lot of skill to pilot effectively in a dogfight. Have you guys seen the new water effects? The water looks amazing and really life like! Or the new cruisers and battleships? Oh, you might want to check out (for the ones that didn't know yet) this site: http://www.il2center.com. Here you will find the planes that are being constructed by 3d party modelers. You should go on the forums and check out the screenshots section. Take a look at the Tempest paintwork #4 thread or the screenshots of the P-80 Shooting Star or Gotha Go-229. They look marvellous, don't they? smile.gif

EDIT: Good to see these boards are still so active btw! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 10 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah i went out to the mall yesterday and picked up a copy of this game along with precision 2 joystick.  Kicks ass !

I tried a dogfight with the Me262.  Fucking pointless!  biggrin.gif

Tracers with the smoke from their burning magnesium looks so hot.  (hint BIS) not to mention the explosions and fire/smoke (hint BIS).

Ok off I go now.<span id='postcolor'>

uhmmm, I'm assuming you dogfought (?) against a Me 262. Forgotten Battles hasn't been released yet so it isn't flyable.

COLINMAN

can someone post some nice screenshots or something 'cos I MIGHT get this game with a nice joystick too. PC gamer have it as their fav flight sim. Is the ground really that detailed and stuff?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 10 2002,19:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">uhmmm, I'm assuming you dogfought (?)<span id='postcolor'>

I beleive it is: "assuming you had a dog fight with" tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Nov. 10 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can someone post some nice screenshots or something<span id='postcolor'>

Or you could find them yourself? Not that hard really smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 10 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">uhmmm, I'm assuming you dogfought (?) against a Me 262. Forgotten Battles hasn't been released yet so it isn't flyable.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Silly rabbit. Me262 is in the original IL-2, it's just not flyable. I was in a dogfight versus "it".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Nov. 10 2002,20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Nov. 10 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can someone post some nice screenshots or something<span id='postcolor'>

Or you could find them yourself? Not that hard really smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif yeah but that means I have to do *cringes* work

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 10 2002,13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 10 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">uhmmm, I'm assuming you dogfought (?) against a Me 262. Forgotten Battles hasn't been released yet so it isn't flyable.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Silly rabbit.  Me262 is in the original IL-2, it's just not flyable.  I was in a dogfight versus "it".<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly that's why I wanted clariffication if you were on drugs or not smile.gif

COLINMAN

Funnily enough, the crashes are another great part of the game. With much of the fighting taking place at low-level, sometimes its impossible to bail out due to the height.

Holding your horribly damaged plane steady while you slam it into a field is very rewarding. For fun try seeing how fast you can hit the ground in a IL-2 and survive. I managed an angle of 35 degrees and 250 knots, and walked away from it.

As for A/C, its either going to be Hurri's or Spits, or the 109 K.

A Mossie is also going to be available soon as a thrid party development. These addons have to be evaluated and integrated by the IL-2 team to ensure quality work, and no cheating in multi. (Look at CFS!wink.gif

This is one thing I'm looking forward to:

Searchlights_2.jpg

Yes, they will be multi crewed! You can fly with your friends in the same A/C!

-----------------------------------------------------------

And anyone who liked B17 2, you may be interested to know, that talks are going on to buy the code. The gamers can finish the multiplayer code that was never implemented, and release a damn fine patch! Imagine 10 people in the same A/C in multi! I'd steer clear of radio operator though however.

I got IL-2 ages ago, but I wasnt planning to get Forgotten Battles, instead I was thinking of getting CFS3. But now that I see how crap CFS3 is, Forgotten Battles has got my money smile.gif

The fact that it will have an inbuilt Dynamic campaign very much appeals to me. Also, many 3rd party aircraft will come out with Forgotten Battles, and more after its release.

This Website is a great place to look at some of the 3rd Party planes been made. In short, Forgotten battles is going to IL-2 as Resistance was to OFP.

Here's the craziest thing to happen to me in Il2:

After a headon pass with the enemy I go into an easy E efficient turn, only to get into a flat spin

il1.jpg

Not good. After losing a few thousand meters in alt I decide to save my ass and get out.

il2.jpg

il3.jpg

Aaahhh, nothing like a the cool crisp air in your face, you feel alive. Wait... the plane seems to be right above me!

il4.jpg

Damn non-steerable parachute, I've seemed to have bailed out of a flat spin and jumped right under the damn plane!

when parachutes reataliate

That's going to leave a mark!

il6.jpg

il7.jpg

pic of mutilation

COLINMAN

Edit:ralphwiggum: pic size > 100kb

Whats even worse is when you bail out only to be cut to shreds by AA fire........

One thing I hope they fix in Forgotten Battles is how when someone bails out they have a tendancy to clip straight through their plane. It looks ridicoulas when you bail out and move straight through the plane, and are still alive!

I just hope they add some kind of visual cue that let's you know when your plane is on fire. I like the MiG-3 on 1942 servers, but the damn thing is incredibly flammable and I never know that I'm burning until I'm thoroughly fried in the cockpit tounge.gif

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> Besides that...2 words...Dynamic Campaign!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 10 2002,18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats even worse is when you bail out only to be cut to shreds by AA fire........

One thing I hope they fix in Forgotten Battles is how when someone bails out they have a tendancy to clip straight through their plane. It looks ridicoulas when you bail out and move straight through the plane, and are still alive!<span id='postcolor'>

well the clipping isn't as bad as Project 1. The sim is still rough, but man does it have petensial

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

COLINMAN

Must be the A-4 X model with special no-matter technology tounge.gif

I do hope that FB will fix the clipping problem. What would be better is that 1. No clipping and 2. If you do hit the tail on your way out, you die.

Anyway, I've been following IL2 for ages and started getting interest a few months before the demo got released. I got the demo when it was first released and immediately fell in love. Then I got the "Gold" game when it was first released and I'm still loving it. I can't wait for FB though, it'll be amazing. And as to those screenshots with the I-16 falling on the chute, were you the one that also posted those screens on the IL2 boards a while ago? I've seen those before and thought they were quite hilarious back then. smile.gif

Oh, and Jamesia, I provided a link to the FB screenshots section in my original post. It should bring you right to the screenshots page. Have fun! smile.gif