Venger_

A serious question to BIS developers

I have one serious question for the developers (I'm not sure they even read these forums or partake in any of these discussions).

How is it possible for the most realistic sim/game on the market not to have individual sensitivity settings for all the different aspect of the game. I'm in disbelief how it's gone this many years and this hasn't been added. No threads on it, no mods, nothing. I don't know what other players think but being able to set the following sensitivities separately would be game changing and just a much better experience instead of always having to niggle with the settings, and the fact that there aren't even numeric values next to the X and Y sensitivities makes this whole process even more annoying.

• Infantry aim sensitivity (hip-fire)
  • Infantry aim down sight (below a certain range for close-medium combat)
  • Infantry scope sensitivity (above a certain range for sniper scopes)
  • Helicopter sensitivity
  • Plane sensitivity
  • Vehicle sensitivity

I don't mean to come across rude but this is really baffling for a game that takes armed combat this seriously :eh: just one sensitivity for the entire game??

If anyone knows of any mods or scripts to add shortcut hotkeys to different sensitivities that we can change on the fly, please let me know.

1 hour ago, Venger_ said:

(I'm not sure they (devs) even read these forums or partake in any of these discussions).

I don't know what other players think

I'm not surprised that you aren't aware of whether or not the devs spend any time in these forums, you're only just brand new here, and i can assure you they do get involved. Maybe they could poke their noses into topics more often than they do, maybe their current level of activity is enough and we get by just fine on the community's collective help, maybe a good mix of both would be the best way to go. I don't know, that's up to them to manage.

I've never had a problem with sensitivities. If someone wanted the turret of a tank to move quicker, or a plane to roll faster, or anything else like that, they can set the values controlling those things in a mod's config. But to be honest, i think it keeps things more realistic that way, so that players are forced to make best use of a capabilty/shortfall of things like vehicles and aircraft. As for small arms, grab a mouse with a shortcut button for sensitivity changes. I think this practice became the standard for all pc games quite a while ago so there's plenty on offer, even in cheap ones. But then again, I've never had a problem with the sensitivity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beno_83au said:

grab a mouse with a shortcut button for sensitivity changes. I think this practice became the standard for all pc games quite a while ago so there's plenty on offer, even in cheap ones. But then again, I've never had a problem with the sensitivity. 

I wish I just had mouse buttons lying around doing nothing, but as gamers I'm sure you realize that's not realistic. Point here being it's an obvious element that's missing in the game. Its OK, we can admit there are flaws. Nothing is perfect.

I'm glad to hear the developers do take part in discussions. I'm really interested why they offered zero customization when it comes to sensitivities. Something so important in such a game.

20 minutes ago, Venger_ said:

I wish I just had mouse buttons lying around doing nothing, but as gamers I'm sure you realize that's not realistic. Point here being it's an obvious element that's missing in the game. Its OK, we can admit there are flaws. Nothing is perfect.

I'm glad to hear the developers do take part in discussions. I'm really interested why they offered zero customization when it comes to sensitivities. Something so important in such a game.

As I said in another thread made by you to this very topic, a gaming mouse with programmable sensitivity and sensitivity switch button costs around 20$.

I'm sure your GPU was more expensive.

Cheers

• Like 7

To be brutally honest...

I don't see why this is such a big deal. As Grumpy and Beno said, just buy a mouse with adjustable sensitivity if it's bugging you that bad. I've knocked up over 5000 hours, ranging from milsim, casual to competitive play. And I've never once had a big issue with it. (I also come from a competitive battlefield and brief COD background: It makes sense in those games though, because they're so competitive and arcade)

I believe you can change helicopter/jet sensitivities independently (or perhaps thats only if you have a gamepad)

But being able to change the sensitivity of turning a turret on something like a tank would just be silly (if you're talking about realism), would stray far from realism tbh. And if you're talking about freelook, i really don't see the significance of spending resources on that. 

And I'm not sure what Arma 3 being the most realistic sim/game on the market (*Insert skepticism here*) has got to do mouse sensitivity settings. I fail to see how mouse sensitivity directly correlates with Realism and Simulation.

Should probably add something helpful. You could go into your profile keybinds/settings and have a look around there, open it up in notepad. Might find something to do with sensitivity adjustments, but I've never looked myself so it could be a dead end

Regardless, welcome to the Forums. :) 

p.s. Theres no need to be so dramatic and antsy, Developers don't spend their days off basking among the thousands of threads. threads probably often strike the eyes of developers, but it doesn't mean they spend time concocting replies to each. I'm sure they have better things to do. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

As I said in another thread made by you

I remember seeing your reply, figured I'd make the same point.

35 minutes ago, Venger_ said:

I wish I just had mouse buttons lying around doing nothing, but as gamers I'm sure you realize that's not realistic.

As a gamer I have 3 mice (1 is a spare, small one from a few years ago when the kids handled it better than a normal one), and all of them have multiple buttons, including dedicated sensitivity adjustments, and all cost less than AUD$30 (and everything here is overpriced). Plus, I've never been in the market for a mouse that has that functionality, so I guess that's somewhat of an indication towards how common it is now.

39 minutes ago, Venger_ said:

I'm really interested why they offered zero customization when it comes to sensitivities.

To answer this, I'll quote my earlier response:

3 hours ago, beno_83au said:

If someone wanted the turret of a tank to move quicker, or a plane to roll faster, or anything else like that, they can set the values controlling those things in a mod's config. But to be honest, i think it keeps things more realistic that way, so that players are forced to make best use of a capabilty/shortfall of things like vehicles and aircraft. As for small arms, grab a mouse with a shortcut button for sensitivity changes. I think this practice became the standard for all pc games quite a while ago so there's plenty on offer, even in cheap ones. But then again, I've never had a problem with the sensitivity. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Venger_ said:

I'm really interested why they offered zero customization when it comes to sensitivities. Something so important in such a game.

I seemed to have missed this comment when i scanned through.

Step 1: Press ESC
Step 2: Click Options
Step 3: Click Controls

Step 4: Click Mouse

Pessimism won't get you far either. 

Absolutely useless replies. Instead of supporting a logical addition to a game based so much on realism, the best you guys can come up with is "uhh..pay more money and buy a different gaming mouse".

Now I see why years later, nothing has been done about this, and I guess nothing will.

I used logic (as did the others), I explained how limiting rotating speeds of turrets and manouverablity of aircraft should be done at their config level, and should not be left open to how fast a player can move a mouse regardless of sensitivity settings (as was mentioned again by BroBreans in reference to realism). There's no need to flame our replies as useless when they're addressing specific topics raised by yourself, and where one has even taken the time to respond again to the second topic you've created about the same thing.

Maybe in the future it would be worth taking some time to consider what peripherals you plan to purchase, and choose one/s that suit the games you wish to play, and how you wish to play them.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Venger_ said:

Absolutely useless replies.

Absolute arrogance.

You refuse to even accept anyone else's word. 

You keep preaching this. In the name of realism this must happen yet you still haven't explained what this has to do with realism. 

@beno_83au and I both mentioned how being able to freely change sensitivities among vehicles would be far from realistic. As the movement of a turret etc is limited by mechanical issues. Not how fast you can throw your mouse across a table. Yet you still can't seem to accept someone else has a valid point and you're adamant that everything must change to suit you. 

I can tell you now this won't happen in the next update, and probably not the next after that. Perhaps don't hope and take the simpler route around such a small issue.

Probably the reason nothing has been done about this particular issue is no one cares? Most Arma 3 players would rather see resources spent else where. I assume you're fairly new to the Arma series if you believe mouse sensitivity is such a major issue. Trust me, I'm sure you'll find some other biblical issue you'll feel obliged to post 2 threads about. 

Now if you still refuse to read and take in our comments (of help) i suggest you rethink the aim of this post. 

Theres a feedback tracker for a reason. 

20f5797901.png

First thing I found. Probably piss poor quality. But at least you can't complain about price.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Venger_ said:

Absolutely useless replies. Instead of supporting a logical addition to a game based so much on realism, the best you guys can come up with is "uhh..pay more money and buy a different gaming mouse".

Now I see why years later, nothing has been done about this, and I guess nothing will.

Welcome to the forums and what a way to "start out on the wrong foot". BI does not exist to cater to nor satisfy your every whim.  

That would be because its a non-issue. 

• Like 3

@Venger_ BI developers are active on this forum, to answer your question. And debate about issues such as this is encouraged on the forums-and that debate can get heated-no problems there. However, referring to people's responses to threads you start as "useless" is not an advisable, or acceptable way to behave here.

I would also ask that you read our forum rules, as you have managed to break several already. Bumping topics is not permitted, and you have created 2 separate topics discussing exactly the same issue within days of each other.

As others have pointed out-there are valid reasons why vehicle turrets do not have sensitivity sliders-it would allow turrets to move far too quickly-thereby breaking the realism of the game that you previously mentioned. It has nothing to do with the type of mouse used.

if a large amount of the community decide something should be changed/added, then dev's will look at this. However deciding you alone are right and everyone else's opinion is wrong is not the way to achieve this.

• Like 7

I apologize for my recent post. I was in a bad mood and this issue is clearly not a big deal to the majority of players so I'll just learn to live with it. I think the issue is most of you play this game either as infantry, or a chopper pilot, or some other role. If you played a bit of everything, and had to constantly change sensitivities on the fly, without any numeric values to help remember where exactly you set your sensitivity to the last time you stepped foot in an aircraft, and then had to guess where it was when you switch back to infantry, you might then better appreciate the point of having individual settings with numeric values to go by. But alas, the majority seem fine with the current set up so I'll accept it for what it is. Hopefully someone releases a simple mod one day that will solve this issue without affecting the speed of the turrets, since some of you believe that could be used to cheat or manipulate the game unfairly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Von Quest said:

Thanks, checking it out now. All I need is to find some sort of utility that can change sensitivity on the fly, and let me use shortcut keys on the keyboard. That would make things so much easier. F12 for infantry, F11 for heli, F10 for planes, etc

This probably won't help you but at least I'm trying ;)

Have you tried with mouse acceleration ON?

I know most gamers don't like it but I can't understand why.

Its completely automatic sensitivity...

Of course if you're not used to it then it will feel really awkward but its worth giving it a chance to get used to.

As for aircraft, I would suggest a joystick rather than mouse anyway.  

Please try this little expiriment. Spawn an HMG offroad and a rifleman. Play as the riflemean. Then get into the pickup as gunner and feel the difference. It was done on purpose to give it a bit more realism.

Seriously? Even after you already started complaining about it?

you decided to disregard the already given comments and just start a new thread in hopes that you get attention? 

On 5/14/2017 at 8:20 AM, SpacePilotMax said:

Please try this little expiriment. Spawn an HMG offroad and a rifleman. Play as the riflemean. Then get into the pickup as gunner and feel the difference. It was done on purpose to give it a bit more realism.

I get that, believe me. A gunner should turn slower than hip fire aim for infantry. Common sense.

My question is a little different. Let's say you play as infantry 33% of the time, another 33% in choppers and the rest in either jets or land vehicles. So you play a bit of everything. Now lets assume the sensitivity that you use for your infantry is a little too low for comfortably piloting choppers, and lets assume the sensitivity that you use for choppers is a little too high for jets, so you have to change sensitivity every time you get in and out of vehicles to have optimal control. My question is, with the lack of numerical values to go with sensitivity in Arma, how would you set your infantry, chopper and jet sensitivities each and every time you switch, and know where to set it to, etc?

I've never had an issue with this. Just get used to it because it shouldn't change.

9 minutes ago, Nightmare515 said:

I've never had an issue with this. Just get used to it because it shouldn't change.

Do you play as infantry only?

Just now, Venger__ said:

Do you play as infantry only?

I do everything. Jets, infantry, tanks, helis, all of it and I have never had a problem since Alpha.

15 minutes ago, Nightmare515 said:

I do everything. Jets, infantry, tanks, helis, all of it and I have never had a problem since Alpha.

Nice. I guess every one is different. I find the infantry sens way too low for choppers to really move effectively, same for jets. So the constant switching ruins things for me. I messaged one of BI staff about this and they recommended me a neat little mouse sensitivity utility that can change speeds on the fly, just what I wanted. Thank you oukej! Glad we have some helpful staff members around here.

• Like 1

I really don't see why all the hostility in this thread. I couldn't see it taking more than 6 hours for a single dev to implement this. I personally would find it a useful addition. It's not like it's going to hurt the rest of you who don't need it. As someone with neurological issues affecting hand-eye-coordination, I can easily see how not having individual settings could be crippling for a select few players.

Btw, as someone who probably makes more posts on the feedback tracker than threads on the forums, I can see why @Venger__ would think the devs don't read the forums. As has already been mentioned they don't have the time to make their presence known. On top of that there's a whole load of small annoying bugs and flaws that I've noticed throughout my time playing Arma 3 that seem to take years to be fixed after constant pestering from the community. Originally I thought they were just lazy or something but after some time I came to realize that their studios are probably quite small and have a lot of work to do.

• Like 1