venom.226

Ragdoll Physics Plus+ v1.0

@cb65 I'm using a much older version of bloodlust, from like 2016 or so. Its a lot simpler and much better than the new version IMO, which is pretty broken from what I've heard. I can post it to dropbox if you want.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, VEN0M.226 said:

@cb65 I'm using a much older version of bloodlust, from like 2016 or so. Its a lot simpler and much better than the new version IMO, which is pretty broken from what I've heard. I can post it to dropbox if you want.

Thanks that would be great, I've been trying to find an earlier version of BloodLust for a while now.

Cheers.

There is also BloodLust Redux here with some bug fixes:

https://github.com/TheWreckingCrewUK/bloodlust_redux

I also use BloodLust, but using BloodLust Lite from SWS. 

I think the older versions in terms of blood splatter were way better. If you can advise the version number, I might have an older copy lying around.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm about to drop a new update in a few days. I'm posting the open 1.1 SP beta below, hopefully I can gather some feedback or bug reports from some of you before I release it on steam.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/am2sszty2r456ou/RFX_BETA_2021.zip?dl=0

***1.1 CHANGELOG***

-many general improvements to the existing ragdoll physics system, they should look more natural now. Deaths from the prone position shouldn't look weird/unnatural anymore.

-units will occasionally try to keep their balance before falling down, a la GTA or RDR.

-ragdoll simulation time has been disabled, they can now be "reactivated" at any time during the game from bullets, explosions, etc. This means that ragdolls will never again freeze in place, or in the air if the building they were in was destroyed. EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE, very subject to glitches in MP.

-decreased bullet force slightly

-decreased explosion force slightly

-many other small fixes and improvements that I can't remember right now

***BUGS/GLITCHES***

-units will still occasionally fly into the sky if killed during certain animations, the self heal animation for example is notorious for this. Still trying to work on a fix, even though I honestly have no idea why it happens.

-units will also sink into the ground, typically when they are incapacitated and transitioning from the ragdoll to the static wounded animation.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy.

venom.226

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VEN0M.226 said:

-units will still occasionally fly into the sky if killed during certain animations, the self heal animation for example is notorious for this.

I'm sure the rpt, or debug code could tell you something related to that particular situation if you watch it in action,

it might give you a clue on the direction of the conflict or code that is causing the issue.

Btw thought you had another account name with your name Venom on the forums here, i mean you been here

since start of Arma3 if i recall correctly, as i used your mod here back in 2015 for my IFA3WarMod as i had asked you for permission back then

to add it to my mod, now your mod is only 100x better, amazing how long you stuck with it, very happy for your work!

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 5:56 AM, VEN0M.226 said:

-ragdoll simulation time has been disabled, they can now be "reactivated" at any time during the game from bullets, explosions, etc. This means that ragdolls will never again freeze in place, or in the air if the building they were in was destroyed

My dreams for 7.5 years come true,  Thank you kind person!

I hope this will not cause performance problems

Later.

@venom.226 

I'm posting the open 1.1 SP beta below, hopefully I can gather some feedback or bug reports from some of you

I had some tests, there seems to be no noticeable performance issue, good!
It looks like you made a small revolution in A3 ragdoll physics, I see how dead bodies react to bullets and the poses of the dead bodies look natural, I would say perfect!

Corpses can now fall from the second floor when the house is destroyed! Vehicles dropping corpses! It looks very good!
The only problem I noticed is that the corpses do not react to near explosion. Any explosion nearby will not make them react.
Can you make corpses react to explosives the same way?

Without reaction to explosions, it looks a unnatural

-units will still occasionally fly into the sky if killed during certain animations, the self heal animation for example is notorious for this.

after two hours of testing I have not seen such problems! In general, I have not seen jumping corpses, even under different conditions.

@venom.226

I have more test results.
I discovered a new problem.

Sometimes, for reasons unclear to me, a dead body does not stop its convulsions.

This happens for all dead bodies at once in my mission, It looks strange!

At this point, I see how the performance of the game drops very much (9FPS!)

Video Example:

Thus, the convulsions of the dead will never end.

If my rpt-file helps you then I can show it to you. 

This may be a problem with my mission, but you have to check why the convulsion continues.

There are a lot of units in my mission, maybe the number of units affects the problem?

Still, with less numbers of units (approx battle with < 6 squads of 8 soldiers ) I can`t see any problems. I think you need some trick to keep performance. 

Do you have a way to disable ragdol for dead bodies if it is far from the player?

Or if the number of corpses exceeds a certain threshold?

Edited by mickeymen
Added additional info
  • Thanks 1

@Gunter Severloh

On 2/3/2021 at 5:22 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

I'm sure the rpt, or debug code could tell you something related to that particular situation if you watch it in action,

it might give you a clue on the direction of the conflict or code that is causing the issue.

This was a pretty good idea, unfortunately the game doesn't seem to log anything related to the PhysX ragdoll simulation. Thanks for the input though, I've indeed noticed that you've been following the mod since I posted it here way back when, thanks for the continued support man i really do appreciate it.

@mickeymen thanks for the detailed writeup! I've also noticed that the new ragdollSimulationTime settings are proving to be pretty glitchy. I've seen the convulsions happen as well, its odd because either every corpse does it or none of them do, and I can't figure out why it even happens to begin with. For example,  I've been using OPTRE's Madrigal and Iberius maps quite a bit lately, the convulsing very rarely happens on either map. Altis on the other hand is the opposite, I get a lot of the glitchy convulsions anytime I play on it. I've decided that the best course of action is to leave these settings out of the Steam version, but I'm going to add a new "experimental" SP version to the .zip archive, that way anyone who wants to play with the unstable ragdollSim settings may do so.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:08 AM, mickeymen said:

Do you have a way to disable ragdol for dead bodies if it is far from the player?

Or if the number of corpses exceeds a certain threshold?

Its really a shame that this is impossible, the game doesn't support scripting anything that is read from a .cpp or .bin file. The following settings are what specifically control the ragdoll simulation, taken from the mod's .cpp file:

class CfgRagDollSkeletons
{
	class BaseRagdoll
	{
		primaryWeaponBone="";
		secondaryWeaponBone="";
		weaponSleepLinearVelocity=0.1;
		weaponSleepAngularVelocity=0.1;
		weaponDropMinTime=1;
		weaponDropMaxTime=3;
		weaponDistanceLimit=0.1;
		weaponDistanceLimitTime=2;
		sleepLinearVelocity=0.1;
		sleepAngularVelocity=0.1;
		simulateMinTime=360;
		simulateMaxTime=360;
		simulateDistanceLimit=0.5;
		simulateDistanceLimitTime=2;
		recoveryBlendTime=0.0099999998;
		recoveryCosLimit=-1;
		recoveryDistLimit=100;
		animBlendTime=0;
	};
};    

As you can see, the SimulateMinTime and SimulateMaxTime are what control when the ragdoll "sleeps" or freezes indefinitely. In this example here, I have them set to 360, which means that the ragdoll simulation will end after 360 seconds, or six minutes. I also found that setting the min/max time too high breaks garbage collection scripts as well, which is another reason why these settings aren't going to make the cut to the steam version.

Anyways, 1.1 is pretty much finished, I'm still trying to decide if the ragdolls should have more or less knockback from bullet impacts, I've noticed that the community is pretty split between arcade and realistic physics. Hopefully I can find a solution that appeals to everyone. Thanks for reading ya'll.

venom.226

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VEN0M.226 said:

I'm still trying to decide if the ragdolls should have more or less knockback from bullet impacts

If your taking votes i vote for more visual impact. Mainly because Arma has always been the exact opposite of that -meaning they were statues just absorbing bullets. personally what makes games fun is watching things react to your actions -even Angry birds - people instinctively like watching things react to what their doing in a physics based way. So if its slightly exaggerated just to convey artistic impression of "getting shot" i think thats okay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VEN0M.226 said:

@mickeymen thanks for the detailed writeup! I've also noticed that the new ragdollSimulationTime settings are proving to be pretty glitchy. I've seen the convulsions happen as well, its odd because either every corpse does it or none of them do, and I can't figure out why it even happens to begin with. For example,  I've been using OPTRE's Madrigal and Iberius maps quite a bit lately, the convulsing very rarely happens on either map. Altis on the other hand is the opposite, I get a lot of the glitchy convulsions anytime I play on it

This truble makes me very upset. If it weren't for this problem, then your mod would look as a revolutionary masterpiece!

I also encounter this problem only on the Altis map, but still it does not always arise. How can a specific map affect ragdol? You have to find out.

Until that time, the my problem of endless convulsions happens only in my Altis large-scale missions, where many units are involved.

However, if I just put on the Alltis -2 or 3 opposing squads of 8 soldiers at stake, then I do not encounter such a problem.
Please try to find reason of this problem. I think you need more time to understand the cause of endless convulsions.

As you can see, the SimulateMinTime and SimulateMaxTime are what control when the ragdoll "sleeps" or freezes indefinitely. In this example here, I have them set to 360, which means that the ragdoll simulation will end after 360 seconds

Then what value will the endless effect give? As far as I understand you, the mod (RFX_BETA_2021) uses an infinite ragdoll time

I'm still trying to decide if the ragdolls should have more or less knockback from bullet impacts

My personal opinion - Bullet impact looks great, I just enjoy it!!! 

But the lack of impact of explosions looks bad. Didn't you answer why near explosions don't affect your ragdoll?

Seems to me, now It's better to pay more attention to explosions impact than bullet imact.

Alright ya'll, I've updated the mod to 1.12. The ragdoll physics model has gotten an upgrade, you should see units react to bullets and fall much more naturally than 1.0. Check the readme for the full changelog.

Link to 1.12:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn85yg83urdbkax/VEN_RFX_2021_AIO.zip?dl=0

Anyways, I'm having trouble with the steam upload, people are reporting strange unintended behavior and I can't figure out why. Let me know if the dropbox upload has any issues please! You'll know if its working as intended, trust me. Thanks.

venom.226

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now i'm tried mp version your updated mod and not saw whichever bugs. I'm very appreciate your work on this mod!

• Thanks 1

@WAR326 I'm very glad to hear that! Thanks for downloading. Looks like the workshop could be breaking the mod, for no apparent reason.

Has anyone else ever had issues with uploading to the workshop? I can't figure out how or why this mod won't work properly when I upload it to steam. Any advice at all would be great.

• Like 1

Awesome work on this mod Venom.226!

Is this mod still not compatible with RHSAFRF?  "RHSAFRF. No idea why they included their own PhysX params, but as of now RPP is incompatible. RHSUSAF works great though! (According to @reyhard this will hopefully be fixed in a later update, which is good news!)"

I'm running the Ragdoll Physics Plus+ v1.12 from the Steam workshop.

*** Update *****

My bad, I noticed I was referring to the first release of the mod.

Edited by jigsawsocial
Update