Vortorsk Rebuild

https://imgur.com/a/ZG9KTkx

Welcome and thank you for reading my topic. I am presenting here an early look / development updates of my upcoming terrain, Vortorsk. This is my first terrain project and hope to hone my skills as I develop the terrain further. This terrain is a multi-island eastern European theme post-apocalypse map, the nature of the apocalypse is up to mission makers, although the map WILL have a subtle storyline coming with it. This map is fictional and loosely based off the shape of my home state in the U.S.

The island is located in the Sea of Okhotsk, and has been abandoned for many years since the fall of the Soviet Union, after losing the support of the USSR the micro-nation Vortorsk fell into disarray, it began slowly bleeding its population. 6 months later in June 1992, an event occurred crippling the nation and killing off a majority of the remaining population. Many attempted to flee the island by boat or plane, but most civilians were forced to stay on the island, eventually succumbing to something or another... The major cities on the island have since fallen into decay and have begun to fall apart, nature is slowly taking back the cities but due to the harsh climate in the Sea of Okhotsk, it has been a slow process. Many civilians had fled underground in one of the many locations below ground level on the island, making for good hiding spots and terrible dead ends. The military of Vortorsk was not prepared for the events of 1992 and fell apart within months, leaving scattered supplies across the island from lost patrols, deserters, and worse. With the current state of the island, not much is stopping anybody from getting to the island, but it has been all but erased from maps and made difficult to find, be warned however as only rumors circulate as to what really happened, seeing it firsthand may give you a clear picture of what happened, but it may also give you a very clear fate. Paramilitary forces have also been said to operate off the island as it is essentially lawless there and there are almost no living inhabitants on the island, or atleast, normal inhabitants. There have been some incursions onto the island ordered by the Russian Military but all of the expeditions ended horribly, thus the island was quarantined and forgotten. Some however remember, some attempt to find the island, fewer actually do, and so far, none have returned.

Island Specs:

Size: 20480x20480 or 419km2

Layout: 3 Major Islands, 10 Minor Islands (POI count TBA)

Season: Fall (Possible seasonal versions in the far future)

Setting: Post-Apocalypse abandoned island

Current Object Count: 381462 

• Like 28

Looking good! Love the apocalyptic feel to the map with the abandoned cars etc 

Looks very good so far! I love me some combloc cities with cookie-cutter apartment highrises, like on Taviana back in Arma 2. 

It is indeed reminiscent of Taviana, one of my all time favorite custom maps.

You should add more islands as you go along(like Icebreaker did with Panthera, adding more islands), make it not only like, but bigger than taviana

Will be redoing much of the generated forest trees aswell they dont really have any randomization to them, as for more islands there is about 7-8 small islands and 2.5 main islands

been trying to edit the lighting but so far nothing has worked :s

Gave up messing with the lighting and skybox it looks terrible but thats a problem for another day, redoing all of the flora on the map as I got many updates and details added to the sat image from a friend (old one was super sh1et), new forests below for all interested

Spoiler

431b1a1e65555740eb13a3bf1971a688.jpg

714830240d8ea3df5d6662c44c23236f.png

3e0e65bcc16e4d436f985542756d92f5.png

defdb603216b1c5ba5313f89441d6d76.png

b51b7b6a29eebd819abbb2aa2fcfadfa.jpg

• Like 1

Re: your issues with the lighting - have you spoken with the CUP Terrain pack devs? They've been wrangling with the same issue for some time.

24 minutes ago, CameronMcDonald said:

Re: your issues with the lighting - have you spoken with the CUP Terrain pack devs? They've been wrangling with the same issue for some time.

No I have not yet, I was just giving it a few hours a day of my time, which ended up being a waste of time as theres no reliable info out there about it, and my countless attempts at making noticable changes flat didnt work lol, I just decided to stop caring until I get closer to a releasable state

the lighting fixed itself 100% did not do anything to it........ idek but alls good now, currently in the process of breaking up the forest lines to add more definition to where they meet open fields, once that is finished ill continue working on the next major city on the south island

ambient sounds are also completed as of last night, i may make a video running around but nonetheless they are very nice, during the day you hear assortments of birds, forest breezes, crickets, other various animal and insect life, during the night however you hear much of the same but occasionally strange sounds echo throughout the forests :p

• Like 3

second city still unnamed (this one isnt finished yet) 

551fa4ab695fbd2535434c83b1bf4dac.jpg

• Like 8

For you - it's apocaliptic entourage, for soviet dudes - it's home!))) Nice map. Good idea to add some buildings from stalker - now it looks real кoммunistic!))

Looks really good so far. Will you be using any communist landmarks? For example, Taviana had statues of Lenin, hammer and sickle symbols. Just curious.

1 hour ago, AZCoder said:

Looks really good so far. Will you be using any communist landmarks? For example, Taviana had statues of Lenin, hammer and sickle symbols. Just curious.

so far i have statues of bushlurker in some places if that counts lmao, else a friend of mine is trying to make some communist propaganda textures i can place around 

Awesome! Bushlurker always counts.

• Like 1

A simple one to use could be the statue of the Soviet troops or the T-34 statue from Chernarus. I'm sure I've seen a Lenin statue floating around somewhere too.

I have made progress on the 3rd city on the southern island, very unfinished although much of the layout is in place, i have also begun to understand the lighting config more after hours of frustration, and will soon be redoing all of them to create a more unique atmosphere on the map for clear and overcast skies70d85478a6bb37a54f47d2a4bfb654dd.jpg

also tweaked the forest clutter to have more diversity, may be redoing the forest mask aswell because its currently just a paste from chernarus forest mask

00c3ff81859d1111bc9b4f61ebe48246.jpg

edit: also soon shall be redoing the entire sat and mask to have smooth transitions from beach to grass from grass to forest and from forest to mountain

• Like 3

Looks great! Love the large changes in elevation and hoping there will eventually be locations up there to visit! Keep up the great work.

Just now, colince411 said:

Looks great! Love the large changes in elevation and hoping there will eventually be locations up there to visit! Keep up the great work.

they will have retextured trees and possibly towns covered in snow if i ever figure out how to use object builder

• Like 1