HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Battle of Lythium

3r9zv0E.jpg

U.S. and Afghan Special Forces take a combat role clearing Taliban cells along a trade route, known as Lythium, between the provinces of Badghis and Bala Murghad Afghanistan. 

As a traditional ALiVE Insurgency mission, the idea here is to replicate a long-term persistent campaign, going out on patrol, talking to the locals, clearing and holding towns, and destroying the enemy resources. For more insight on how to play, please read the how-to-play instructions in the mission briefing area. For a more in-depth analysis of what the bells and whistles of an ALiVE Insurgency entails, here is an excellent breakdown from the ALiVE wiki: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Insurgency

Although solo play is encouraged, the mission should ONLY BE run on a local hosted server. If you want to use a dedicated server, grab the PBO from the link below. Features include:

CAS and logistical support
The full suit of ALiVE features including suicide bombers, IED's and VBIED's
AI Recruitment
Helicopter and ground vehicle resupply triggers 
The Muslim Call to Prayer
Ambient civilian traffic
Multiple bases and outposts to choose from for respawn
Intelligence on dead bodies
Zeus Game Master for Admins

Mods:

CBA*

ALiVE*

Spyder Addons*

Community Factions Project*

CUP Weapons*

CUP Units*

CUP Vehicles*

JBAD*

Lythium*

Note: * means I'm subscribed to the Steam Workshop version of the mod.

Saving your progress: This mission uses a local saving feature, which is accessed in the esc menu and initiated by the "server save and exit" function. To continue your save, simply act as if you're starting the mission over again and your data will load automatically. To start the mission over, change the PBO name or execute "call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceClear" in the debug menu. This mission should only be played on a local hosted server, even if you're playing alone with AI. If you want to play the mission on a dedicated server, for now, unpack the mission, open the Data module, and change the local saving option to "cloud."

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryowpa41cu5rbfg/Battle_of_Lythium_CFP.lythium.pbo?dl=0

Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=964769969

• Like 6

At the moment, I've designed this to be a slow burn, so take you're time exploring this beautiful map. I wanted to release this ASAP because I know how many of you are eager to play an ALiVE mission on this map. Lythium is HUGE, so don't expect enemies around every single corner (which would kill performance and IMO wouldn't be realistic or fun, though do expect some Taliban pretty close to your starting base :) ), but rather, spread out in a way that will surprise you and keep you guessing. Of course, as is my style, I'll be editing and balancing the mission as time goes on as I see fit and as suggestions come in. For now, consider this a playable first draft.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

Update. I forgot to enable the intelligence on dead bodies option (*smacks head*). I also added some new Diary Record entries to help new players use the suite of ALiVE features.

Update. The mission has been reworked. 

There are now a more enemies, including random camps in the mountains. 3CB now gets access to some US A10 air support to compensate, as well as some other tweaks and improvements to bring the mission to ALiVE 1.3.5 standards. 

• Like 1

hey i am trying to build an ALiVE mission for my squad on Lythium but indexing seems to be out vehicles and ai spawn in walls fall off towers did you reindex it?

3 hours ago, flibble666 said:

hey i am trying to build an ALiVE mission for my squad on Lythium but indexing seems to be out vehicles and ai spawn in walls fall off towers did you reindex it?

No, it was indexed by Tupolov, who is basically the lead dev of the ALiVE mod so the index should be as good as it can possibly be. 

I actually just moved to a new apartment, and have been testing the source of an unrelated stutter bug on CUP maps, so I haven't played on Lythium as much as I'd like.

Try it out. If you notice anything unusual, let me know in as much detail as possible (for example, if it's vehicles, are they ambient civilian vehicles or vehicles that spawn with Taliban groups?) and I'll pass your observations along to see if it can be cleaned up.

Update. I added a few ANA Pawnee's for players to fly in, increased the Taliban manned CQB threat a bit to make air travel a bit more dangerous, removed a few 3CB bases, and made the default item for all of ALiVE's tablet goodness a compass (which all players have by default).

thx i spoke to Alive guys and they said it was a bi issue and nothing the could do i am also getting exploding vehicles near the south airport (alive spawned) which is due to BI "safe" locations to spawn vehicles i was wondering if you had come across this if i cant get my mission to work ill try yours thx for the guidance.  

I generally only allow ambient civilian vehicles to spawn because I have a hell of a time getting ambient enemy military vehicles spawning without exploding on almost every map, including some vanilla ones. Meaning, I almost always set the ambient vehicles option on the MIL obj module to no (it's set to yes by default).

Even just allowing the civ vehicles like I usually do in the civ placement module (as I do in this mission) can still result in explosions on some maps, so fair warning, you might still see it on Lythium too.

Highhead (ALiVE dev) is always trying to refine this code but as you saw in their dev reply, it's an uphill battle. Anyway, give it a try and see.

As far as I've seen so far, normal BLUFOR/OPFOR motorized/mechanized groups that spawn using the MIL/CIV obj modules seem to be spawning in without any issues. But I haven't tested it too too much. Remember, unless you're next to their spawn points, most of these groups will be virtualized on init anyway and will move to safer waypoints as OPCOM gives them orders.

I also updated the mission yesterday to make sure BLUFOR could only get Logistic resupply groups from a static location just south of the southern base. I had it before where it could happen anywhere, but sometimes it was causing them to resupply right on top of where I have players spawn/respawn. Lol. Autigergrad uses a nice out of the way location for this in his Lythium mission and I decided to use the same place here, because it's a good resupply spot!

HeroesandvilliansOS

Found the following error images\talbanhuntingclub.paa not found - Land_Noticeboard_F init="call{this SetObjectTexture [0,""images\talbanhuntingclub.paa""];}";

images\talibanhuntingclub.paa

Thank you for the ALiVE missions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithII said:

HeroesandvilliansOS

Found the following error images\talbanhuntingclub.paa not found - Land_Noticeboard_F init="call{this SetObjectTexture [0,""images\talbanhuntingclub.paa""];}";

images\talibanhuntingclub.paa

Thank you for the ALiVE missions.

Hey thanks for the report. Where are you seeing this error? In the mission itself when playing? On the role selection screen?

That's a custom image I placed on a sign at one of your bases. The mission file when unpacked should have a folder called "images" with a file inside it called "talibanhuntingclub.paa"

I'll take a look later to see why this is popping up. I don't see any reason for it, unless you removed it yourself, or have a corrupted download, or maybe I accidentally removed it or fluffed up the code! Lol.

I'll be back in the evening after I get home and see what's going on.

4 minutes ago, KeithII said:

It's just a spelling mistake on that Noticeboard omitting "i".

Haha wow. Even after you quoted it spelled incorrectly, I didn't see it. Lol.

Yeah that explains it. :)

I'll fix it and push an update later. Thanks for letting me know about the error.

@HeroesandvillainsOS Can you modify the mission to get FFAA (spanish army) instead british, or can I modify your mission?

Thanks, and good work as usual :f:

P.S: Because solo? the module option isn't enabled to save in alive Warroom?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spark23 said:

@HeroesandvillainsOS Can you modify the mission to get FFAA (spanish army) instead british, or can I modify your mission?

Thanks, and good work as usual :f:

P.S: Because solo? the module option isn't enabled to save in alive Warroom?

Hey Spark23! By all means feel free to modify however you'd like. I actually debated on using the Spanish guys here but since I'd never personally used them, I figured it was safer to use my tried and true Brits. :)

I've been modifying the mission a bit behind the scenes. The PBO up above is up-to-date, I just haven't bumped the thread. If you haven't DL'd the mission recently, be sure to grab it. Also, for anyone curious, I have this and all my other missions ready to go on Steam Workshop, but I'm still waiting for an ALiVE and 3CB update to pull the trigger on that.

Anyway, adjusting the mission to save to the cloud database on War Room is super super easy. All you have to do is open the Data module in the editor and change the dropdown that says "Local" to "Cloud." That's it. The only reason I set these all to local saving is simply because I don't want to overwhelm new users with having to figure out how to create a dedicated server. This mission is perfectly fine for dedicated server use as long as you edit the Data module option.

One other thing I'd look for if I was you is to make sure I don't place too many Taliban. The map is freaking enormous so it makes balancing tougher than it would on a map the size of Sangin or even Takistan. I've let it run for a few hours and it looks good, but I haven't had a chance to see how things shake out at the 8-10+ hour range. I'd imagine it's fine, but if you do happen to get severely overrun by Taliban after a few long sessions, I'd personally set the Military Placement Civilian Objective module to "Objectives Only" and then manually place a few dozen Taliban groups around the AO instead (syncing the group leader of each to the Virtual AI module).

• Like 1

I just found your mission and it's great so far, thanks for the work on this.  Looks like this is my 'go to' mission for the foreseeable future.  Very cool!

Being new to the Alive module campaign scenario, question is do I need to enable anything with the Alive module in your campaign or it's just plug-and-play?  I notice when I did the Alive save, there is a lot of call-outs in that hand held device that pops up (data module perhaps?) after pressing the Alive save button, not sure if I'm missing anything interesting.  I simply started the campaign as SP player in the scenarios menu, and started patrolling the city that surrounds the base.  Again, just started it up and hit the streets for a quick check run, then did a Alive save in the map menu.

Another question; per your post above, is it necessary to save to the cloud to assure campaign persistence is saved properly, or the vanilla Alive save is fine?

Also, if not a problem, what is the best way to switch out the British Army with the RHS US soldier, or better yet, simply adding US troops to the British patrol?  A sort of Joint or Nato task force.  Is this something that can be done in the editor?  If not that's fine.

Sorry for the seemingly noob post, I've got 900+ hours in Arma, but not with the Alive module.  Just SP Workshop campaigns such as WLA, DCO, DRO and the like.  So I'm a noob when it comes to using Alive campaigns...which, as I understand it, is a module for mission creators with additional player functionality.

Thanks again for the great work!

DrDetroit

Thanks for checking out the mission @drdetroit ! Saving your progress is simple and exactly how you're doing it. So your 900 hours with the game have proven your instincts good. :) The tablet that opens when you server save and exit is just a visual representation of all the data ALiVE is storing locally on your PC.

When ALiVE first started, cloud saving to their War Room database with a registered dedicated server was the only method of saving your progress. Recently, the magician Highhead added the ability to save your progress locally on your own PC! How you're saving is the "new" way. Both ways are identical as far as saving your mission progress goes.

I should note, there is currently a bug with ALiVE right now that sort of mucks up what data is loaded when any ALiVE save is continued. It's fixed internally and will be in the next ALiVE update, but without getting into the nitty gritty, any saving you're doing now should probably be cleared via my instructions above in the first post when they update the ALiVE mod again. For now I'd recommend just playing and messing around having fun and starting your "real" campaign after the next ALiVE update. 

You can easily add NATO troops to the scenario if you want to. I'm not sure if you're familiar with PBO Manager (this is what I use) or Arma Tools, but if you unpack the mission PBO and place it in a folder in your documents area, you'll be able to edit the mission in the editor. You'll see all the BLUFOR modules such as Military Placement Military Objective and Military Placement Civilian Objective have the faction overrides as 3CB Brits (UK3CB_BAF_Army_Desert) and the Afghan National Army and Police (LOP_AA). If you change any of these to say, BLU_F, NATO units will spawn. Or you could spawn American RHS Marines since I use RHS in the mission by putting in rhs_faction_usmc_d or RHS US Army by putting in rhs_faction_usarmy_d. Just make sure to add this faction to the Military Commander module so the commander knows to control these groups.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, and thanks again for your work. Much appreciated!!

• Like 1

I've been messing around with the campaign, and I noticed there are very few, if any, civilians and I've only seen maybe 1-2 civilian vehicles.  If I do see a civilian he's almost always on foot and after that initial encounter I don't see any further activity at all. Is there a setting I should be activating for some civilian foot/vehicle traffic?  Everywhere I've been has pretty much desolate. 

Also, what is the compass tablet that was mentioned in the above post?  Are there campaign settings there I can mess around with...are there in-game settings I should pay attention to in the Alive module?

I've been resetting the campaign every time, per your instructions, so the enemy spawns seem ok...just no ambient civilians.  

Also, I was able to detain and arrest a civilian who had a suicide vest in his possession, but he just sat down.  How would I get him to the holding cell?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I've been messing around with the campaign, and I noticed there are very few, if any, civilians and I've only seen maybe 1-2 civilian vehicles.  If I do see a civilian he's almost always on foot and after that initial encounter I don't see any further activity at all. Is there a setting I should be activating for some civilian foot/vehicle traffic?  Everywhere I've been has pretty much desolate. 

Also, what is the compass tablet that was mentioned in the above post?  Are there campaign settings there I can mess around with...are there in-game settings I should pay attention to in the Alive module?

I've been resetting the campaign every time, per your instructions, so the enemy spawns seem ok...just no ambient civilians.  

Also, I was able to detain and arrest a civilian who had a suicide vest in his possession, but he just sat down.  How would I get him to the holding cell?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm. I see what you mean about the civs. I wonder if something with the Lythium or JBAD updates has somehow impacted the spawns...tough to say. In the release version of the mission, I have the civ settings up about as high as they can possibly go. I've actually never gone any higher than this (never needed to). Until now that is! This test mission, edited just for you, is literally the most extreme settings available for civ spawns in ALiVE so feel free to try it out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8x4wnctxsf1b5w/Battle_of_Lythium_Civ_Test.lythium.pbo?dl=0

Though that said, it's still not nearly as much at first glance as I would hope or expect. Weird. I'll look into it. This test link above has civs set to extreme spawns and absolutely no filtering at all. To counter this, I slightly lowered the enemy spawns. Anyway, if you feel like it, feel free to try this for a bit and see if it's any better. If not, try my Inshallah mission, or realistically, pretty much any of my other insurgencies. Civs spawn just fine on Takistan and most other maps.

Regarding the settings, no, there are no parameters for you to edit or anything like that. The compass is just the required item for you to access requesting tasks, calling in Logistics, etc. Without one in your inventory, these options won't show up in the ALiVE menu (app key when in-game).

You can "arrest" a civ via the mousewheel options. That basically makes him join your group. You can then make him do anything you want like you would any other AI teammate in your group. Hit his Fkey and tell him to get in your truck and he will, etc. The putting him in jail thing is mainly for roleplay purposes and nothing more at the moment. I personally sometimes just round the bad ones up and then tell him to walk in the jail area back at base just for fun, but realistically you don't need to do this. I guess though if he's not in an insurgent area and sitting comfortably back at your base, he can't be recruited by the insurgents which is always good for you. Technically, if you went around and rounded up every civ on the map, the insurgents could never recruit anybody which is kind of neat if you think about it. You could just as well kill the bad civs too if he has any explosives or weapons or whatever on him, though killing civs makes civs more hostile, so just keep that in mind. I do hope someday the ALiVE devs will flesh out what to do with these naughty civs, but for now, if they are armed, their hostility towards you is high and their likelihood of being recruited by the enemy is also high. You can lower it by clearing and patrolling villages and do with them what you wish.

Anyway, yeah, I see what you mean about the civ spawns. The PBO I linked above is the best I can personally do on this mission/map at the moment.

• Like 1

Great, thanks!  I will give it a go.  I'm going to try your other missions later today as well.  

Thanks again for your very helpful posts!

• Like 1

By the way, what is you user name in Steam (Joker5?)?  I'm looking for your releases and not sure if the missions are your creations.