Sign in to follow this  
silentghoust

AA/AT Titans, what are they now?

As title says it, with the new set of missile classes and styles. Were do Titans fall under this? I can take a guess that the AT one uses IR/visual but what about the AA and AA long? Do they use radar or can use radar? or they strictly visual/ir as well?

Also, how does the radar complement the overall AA tank system?

Now that you bring it up I wish BIS would make an AA rocket system...like Patriots or THAADs, but shrunk down to two or three vehicles that could launch missiles across the map to destroy enemy aircrafts.  That could very much change the dynamics of AA defense and strategic strikes, adding a whole new level of gameplay.

So in other words....I'm sick of people in wasteland getting wipeouts and trolling everyone while stupid me carries an AA launch for 45 minutes only to get killed by a tank because I didn't have an AT launcher.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

Now that you bring it up I wish BIS would make an AA rocket system...like Patriots or THAADs, but shrunk down to two or three vehicles that could launch missiles across the map to destroy enemy aircrafts.  That could very much change the dynamics of AA defense and strategic strikes, adding a whole new level of gameplay.

So in other words....I'm sick of people in wasteland getting wipeouts and trolling everyone while stupid me carries an AA launch for 45 minutes only to get killed by a tank because I didn't have an AT launcher.

Have you actually tried Dev Branch yet?

The whole game play is going to change and CAS pilots who don't adapt are going to scream.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Have you actually tried Dev Branch yet?

The whole game play is going to change and CAS pilots who don't adapt are going to scream.

Ugh it's going to be more of a loud chilling autistic shriek. 

There will be countless 1 post users outraged that bis just dropped these changes out of nowhere. 

• Like 7

In that case it will be best to link them oprep explaning all changes and all symbology.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, silentghoust said:

As title says it, with the new set of missile classes and styles. Were do Titans fall under this? I can take a guess that the AT one uses IR/visual but what about the AA and AA long? Do they use radar or can use radar? or they strictly visual/ir as well?

I wish BIS would not call all the missiles "Titan", it's really confusing because there seem to be several different types of Titan missiles:

• Man portable anti-tank missiles, using IR or SACLOS (Titan MPRL compact)
  • Man portable anti-air missiles, using IR (Titan MPRL)
  • Tank mounted anti-tank missiles, using IR or SACLOS (on BTR-K Kamysh & AFV-4 Gorgon). Those are different from those that the Titan MPRL compact uses, as they are way bigger.
  • Tank mounted anti-air missiles, now using radar using IR (on ZSU-39 Tigris & IFV-6a Cheetah). Again, those are different from those that the Titan MPRL uses, as they are bigger and use radar instead of ir since 1.69.
  • 230 mm Titan Missiles, unguided rockets (on M5 Sandstorm MLRS) <-- Yes, those are named "Titan" as well!

Those ARMEX-Engineers really could have been a bit more creative while naming their missile systems :dozingoff:

15 hours ago, silentghoust said:

Also, how does the radar complement the overall AA tank system?

AA Tanks  obviously get a 360° radar, wich can be set to active or inactive (still receiving signals from actvie radar sources). A mission builder can also link up different sensor platforms so that they send and/or receive sensor data from/to the other systems of their side. E.g. you could have two Cheetahs and a F-181 all sharing their sensor data.

Edited by iratus
corrected a mistake with tank mounted Titan AAs after fact-checking

Actually, vehicle-mounted AA Titan was IR-guided too, last time I checked. The radar on AA vehicles is just for gunlaying. SACLOS guidance on AT variants of Titan is silly, but if it were removed, the "Titan" family would be pretty realistic. The RL inspiration for Titan is Rafael Spike, which also has a large number of variants. Vehicle Titan corresponds to the Spike, while man-portable Titan is the Mini-Spike. There's no 230mm MLRS variant, though. :) 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

Actually, vehicle-mounted AA Titan was IR-guided too, last time I checked. The radar on AA vehicles is just for gunlaying.

Well I was not sure and had to dl Devbranch to verify it... it's corrected now.

• Like 1

No, I'm not on the dev branch.  Is the dev branch even multiplayer compatible?

So would it be possible to have a HEMMTT or similar vehicle as the launcher, then another vehicle as the radar, and then another one as the controller or any combination thereof?

3 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

It is, but the server and all players using the server would need to be on the dev branch

Of course it is, otherwise how BIS would test the new features in MP? Might be hard to find a server, though (and it'd have to be one that's actually for playing and not for testing). 

2 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

So would it be possible to have a HEMMTT or similar vehicle as the launcher, then another vehicle as the radar, and then another one as the controller or any combination thereof?

Use the rc branch which is the upcoming release that you will play. There are a few mp servers.  Official zeus and some interesting ones set up by participating testers  

What I meant was I don't want to be on dev branch if it's not compatible with stable version multiplayer games.  It's bad enough already trying to find certain servers.

20 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Ugh it's going to be more of a loud chilling autistic shriek. 

There will be countless 1 post users outraged that bis just dropped these changes out of nowhere. 

on the upside of things. at least it will weed out the jet spammers in games mods like Wasteland and KoTH, then again. a pro jet pilot can always ruin someone's day

• Like 1

A pro jet pilot has been able to ruin someone's day ever since the Buzzard came to stable, but with the Jets DLC "the game has changed" in terms of the how and the difficulty thereof.

@Delta Hawk Dev branch hasn't been MP-compatible with stable for years. As for your question about an AAA site... someone's already stuck the Praetorian 1C onto a HEMTT and Hvymetal reported the following:

On 5/5/2017 at 9:20 PM, Hvymtal said:

No, datalink doesn't seem to support targeting, but the way it seems to work (And I'm not code digging, this is from in-game testing) is if, say, another SAM sees a target on its radar, and with datalink, the Centurion would be able to see the datalinked contact, but not be able to target since its at its six, but since it can see the contact thanks to datalink, it will turn around and find it with its own radar, at which point it will determine whether it is friendly, hostile, or neutral and engage accordingly. This does require sensors to be set to active as well, but with this setup I have no problems getting it to engage. With a clever enough mission designer, one could create radar coverage gaps that could be exploited to create interesting scenarios, while if the plane/heli strays into coverage, it will get shredded by the AA that was previously blind to it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chortles said:

A pro jet pilot has been able to ruin someone's day ever since the Buzzard came to stable, but with the Jets DLC "the game has changed" in terms of the how and the difficulty thereof.

@Delta Hawk Dev branch hasn't been MP-compatible with stable for years. As for your question about an AAA site... someone's already stuck the Praetorian 1C onto a HEMTT and Hvymetal reported the following:

On 5/6/2017 at 9:20 AM, Hvymtal said:

No, datalink doesn't seem to support targeting, but the way it seems to work (And I'm not code digging, this is from in-game testing) is if, say, another SAM sees a target on its radar, and with datalink, the Centurion would be able to see the datalinked contact, but not be able to target since its at its six, but since it can see the contact thanks to datalink, it will turn around and find it with its own radar, at which point it will determine whether it is friendly, hostile, or neutral and engage accordingly. This does require sensors to be set to active as well, but with this setup I have no problems getting it to engage. With a clever enough mission designer, one could create radar coverage gaps that could be exploited to create interesting scenarios, while if the plane/heli strays into coverage, it will get shredded by the AA that was previously blind to it

After much testing this is sadly not the case, the AI is not aware at all about data linked targets. Im not sure what his controls were but after many hours of testing the data link its only good for humans and even then in a limited capacity. I would love to see the data link expanded in this respect as the potential for this is not just with radar/awacs/sam but possibly even Forward observers with AI Artillery. For the Tanks DLC data link attached to radios/electronics for vehicle info sharing onto a gps/moving map, maybe realtime enemy/friendly updates, but if radio/electrics hit, no more realtime updates.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoops_213 said:

After much testing this is sadly not the case, the AI is not aware at all about data linked targets. Im not sure what his controls were but after many hours of testing the data link its only good for humans and even then in a limited capacity. I would love to see the data link expanded in this respect as the potential for this is not just with radar/awacs/sam but possibly even Forward observers with AI Artillery. For the Tanks DLC data link attached to radios/electronics for vehicle info sharing onto a gps/moving map, maybe realtime enemy/friendly updates, but if radio/electrics hit, no more realtime updates.  

These are my findings too. I placed down two Tigris and had both with full datalink capability but only one with its radar set to active.

The inactive radar Tigris did nothing at all despite me being engaged by the active Tigris ( some distance apart and not grouped)

Mission designers will have to make use of scripting or triggers to get full experience out of the new stuff.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:00 PM, Delta Hawk said:

The Jets DLC added Sea Sparrows, Rolling Airframe Missiles, and a CIWS that are unmanned and can engage targets autonomously. They can be placed via editor, though I'm not sure how effective they are at long range.

They're actually supposed to be free additions, but for some reason are flagged as DLC content. Hopefully it'll get resolved soon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

These are my findings too. I placed down two Tigris and had both with full datalink capability but only one with its radar set to active.

The inactive radar Tigris did nothing at all despite me being engaged by the active Tigris ( some distance apart and not grouped)

Mission designers will have to make use of scripting or triggers to get full experience out of the new stuff.

what if the inactive tigris was grouped to the active tigris?

7 hours ago, dragon01 said:

They're actually supposed to be free additions, but for some reason are flagged as DLC content. Hopefully it'll get resolved soon.

Odd. I don't have the DLC but managed to get them working in-editor.

7 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

Haven't tried it but wouldn't the leading unit then force the inactive Tigris into a radar-on behaviour?

12 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

it will act the same way as it did before the sensors update, it will get told about its target(s) from its group leader and will visually track and engage its target(s) unless it goes into combat mode then it will use its radar.