Is there a way to inherit the configuration of the PhysX rope?

I'm trying to create a new class, with the default properties of the rope, but changing the 3d model.

class CfgVehicles
{
	class All {};
	class Rope: All {};
	class SCrope: Rope
	{
		access = 0;
		displayName = "";
		simulation = "rope";
		side = 8;
		maxRelLenght = 1.1;
		maxExtraLenght = 10.2;
		alwaysTarget = 0;
		irTarget = 0;
		irScanRangeMin = 0;
		irScanRangeMax = 0;
		irScanToEyeFactor = 1;
		laserTarget = 0;
		laserScanner = 0;
		nvTarget = 0;
		nvScanner = 0;
		artilleryTarget = 0;
		artilleryScanner = 0;
		author = "CheyenneAH56";
		mapSize = 0.03;
		_generalMacro = "Rope";
		scope = 1;
		model = "\SCmod_fire\data\SCrope.p3d";
	};
};

I can create a rope, because the attached objects behave like with the original one, but the rope is created invisible. The 3d model does not seem to work.

My goal is to create a pipe, with PhysX properties, for my SCmod.

The Project Life team succeeded in doing the same, except that they replaced the default rope model directly.

I can not contact them, so I rely heavily on the goodness of a BIS programmer. :)

DONE !

:D

simply repack original pbo with your modification.

... I'll test to apply personal textures and add hiddensection, to conserv original model look. 

for those who are interested, as this post is not known enormously successful, I have the solution.

I apply it to the SCmod (for next 1.40 version).

You can easily modify the size of the rope (to make a pipe), and if necessary keep its original appearance.

Great news, I wanted to use a fuel pipe for a fuel pump on the Nimitz. Can you share with me how to achieve this with your new rope model? Either here or via PM.

I also would like to check if the current model wires can be replaced by this rope concept, e.g. two rope models connecting from the tailhook to the anchors. That can be used on the Nimitz and MAAS.

• Like 1

OK, here the method :

first

• create a new addon (file) for your rope e.g. /YOUR_rope.

• CPP
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//DeRap: Produced from mikero's Dos Tools Dll version 4.39
//Mon Mar 17 00:27:58 2014 : Source 'file' date Mon Mar 17 00:27:58 2014
//http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/mikero-pbodll
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#define _ARMA_

//ndefs=13
//Class data_f : hook\config.bin{

class CfgPatches
{
	class YOUR_Rope
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Data_F"};
	};
};
class CfgVehicles
{
//YOURROPE
	/*extern*/ class All;

class Rope: All
	{
		model = "\YOUR_rope\proxies\Rope\rope.p3d";
		hiddenSelections[] = {"YOURSELECTION", "ORIGINALSELECTION"};
		hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"","a3\data_f\proxies\rope\data\rope_co.paa"};
	};
}
//};

class CfgNonAIVehicles
{
	class RopeSegment
	{
		model = "\YOUR_rope\proxies\Rope\rope.p3d";
		hiddenSelections[] = {"YOURSELECTION", "ORIGINALSELECTION"};
		hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"","a3\data_f\proxies\rope\data\rope_co.paa"};
	};

class RopeEnd: RopeSegment
	{
		model = "\A3\Data_f\Hook\Hook_F.p3d";
	};
};

second

thirdly

• put the dowloaded files in YOUR_rope/proxies/rope/
  • open rope.p3d
  • in LOD 0.000, copy selection (original) without any change.
  • paste it inside LOD 0.000 and change size (diameter only) and name it like you want e.g. YOURSELECTION.
  • select original rope model in LOD 0.000 and name it like you want e.g. ORIGINALSELECTION.

• in shadowvolume 0.000, shadow volume 1000, and geometry, change size (diameter) of original selection.
  • let memory LOD, and save rope.p3d

• model.cfg (in YOUR_rope/proxies/rope/)

class CfgSkeletons
{
    class Skeleton
    {
        isDiscrete=0;

skeletonInherit="";

skeletonBones[]={};

};

};

class CfgModels
{
    class rope
    {
        htMin=0;

htMax=0;

afMax=0;

mfMax=0;

mFact=0;

tBody=0;

skeletonName="Skeleton";

sectionsInherit="";

sections[]={"YOURSELECTION","ORIGINALSELECTION"};

class Animations{};

};

};

save all files and use addon builder to make addon.

fourth

to select the aspect of the rope, simply use script (here I let you decide your creation)

for me it is :

ropeX = vehicle player nearObjects ["rope", 20];
ropesegmentX = vehicle player nearObjects ["ropesegment", 20];
{if (typeOf _x == "rope") then {_x setObjectTexture [0, "\scmod_fire\data\pipes.paa"]; _x setObjectTexture [1, ""];};} foreach ropeX;
{if (typeOf _x == "ropesegment") then {_x setObjectTexture [0, "\scmod_fire\data\pipes.paa"]; _x setObjectTexture [1, ""];};} foreach ropesegmentX;

Create the rope first and use this script whenever the length of the string changes.

This method allows to keep the original appearance of the rope, and to create, if necessary, a new appearance, to make pipes, etc.

Have fun ! :icon_cool:

@CheyenneAH56 All you did was changing the vanilla model of the classes 'RopeSegment' & 'Rope' to the previous one but with hidden selection textures. Right or wrong? 

Of course you did some further little changes to allow the hidden selection textures to work.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:46 PM, DerZade said:

@CheyenneAH56 All you did was changing the vanilla model of the classes 'RopeSegment' & 'Rope' to the previous one but with hidden selection textures. Right or wrong? 

Of course you did some further little changes to allow the hidden selection textures to work.

Actually, as soon as Arma 3 v2.06 releases, we'll be able to state a 6th or 8th parameter (depending on the syntax used) for the `ropeCreate` command, which will be a string specifying a custom rope definition. This means we won't need to modify the base rope model at all.

This is code that @Dedmen published in the Arma 3 Discord, in the #community_wiki channel (message😞

Spoiler

class CfgVehicles {
    class Rope;
    class RopeRabbit : Rope {
        maxRelLenght = 1.1;
        maxExtraLenght = 20;
        springFactor = 0.5; // higher == less stretchy rope
        segmentType = "RopeSegmentRabbit";    
        torqueFactor = 0.5;
        dampingFactor[] = {1.0,2.5,1.0};
        model = "\A3\Animals_F\rabbit\rabbit_F.p3d";
    }
}

class CfgNonAIVehicles {
    class RopeSegmentRabbit {
        scope = 2;
        displayName = "";
        simulation = "ropesegment";
        autocenter = 0;
        animated = 0;
        model = "\A3\Animals_F\rabbit\rabbit_F.p3d";
    };
};

Note: Lenght is purposely misspellt for some unknown reason.

So an example for using the above custom rope definition with the ropeCreate command:

// ropeCreate[fromObject, fromPoint, toObject, toPoint, length, ropeStart, ropeEnd, ropeType];
myRope = ropeCreate [vehicle player, "slingload0", myCargo, [0, 0, 0], 10, ["", [0,0,-1]], ["", [0,0,-1]], "RopeRabbit"];

A fun little example of this at work can be found here:

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 3:25 AM, Arend the Bastard said:

Actually, as soon as Arma 3 v2.06 releases, we'll be able to state a 6th or 8th parameter (depending on the syntax used) for the `ropeCreate` command, which will be a string specifying a custom rope definition. This means we won't need to modify the base rope model at all.

This is exactly what I need, thanks for the heads-up, Arend.

• Thanks 1

Most important thing is to declare those classes in correct parent classes (rope/segments), and when you prepare P3d file dont change mass in geometry lod more than 2kg - effect is catastrofic for ships as i check, anyway method of connecting segments of new rope in A3 engnine is not clear,  there is 2 memory points start and end named but they not change much , for example chain made to be act like rope have strange spaces between segments - if anybody know rules of prepare P3d segment please tell me what is going on.

here is example:

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

on picture is buldozer view and ingame view of rope builded from this segment (downgrade of quality/deforming and this strange spacing between segments is terrible)

@Arend the Bastard: im not abe to realise your solution, its allways a bad vehicle type, how do use this correctly in the vr ?

Don't worry those ropes in real have only 2 parameters for config and both cause this rope too strechy or too weak - is no possibile to make rope like chain (no strechy and very robust), or I don't know something, if you see to vanilla config in game you see that parameters wrote in WIKI rope descriptions are not used by main rope class so they are not used in engine.  So sense to use in config ro setup rope phisic is only:

maxRelLenght = 1.1;

maxExtraLenght maxExtraLenght = 20;

Anyway missing for ropes possibility of connect object to rope not only on it's end (for reppeal  animation it could be nice to move person by the rope segments), and of course should be added anim for reppeal pose in vanilla. But of course nobody add this to arma3 - even to A4 probably not.