Does anybody sets unit insignias via script?
BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia is not working globally although funtion description states it so. Each player can only see his own insignia. There was a comment in BI page which states
[[ player, "111thID"], "BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia", nil, true, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

can be used but even with this one I am getting same result :(
Anybody has a solution?

Use

[player,"111thID"] remoteExecCall ["BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia",0,true];

instead.

17 minutes ago, belbo said:

Use

[player,"111thID"] remoteExecCall ["BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia",0,true];

instead.

This will not work, because player is taken from PC you execute your code on, when in fact it should be taken from each PC it is remote execute on.

{[player,"111thID"] call BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia} remoteExec ["call",0,true];

This works, but I still want to know why OP is using nil? I find this very strange one wants to force undefined value to use fallback of the function when one can define exactly the target. This seems mighty silly.

12 minutes ago, killzone_kid said:

This will not work, because player is taken from PC you execute your code on, when in fact it should be taken from each PC it is remote execute on.

That's weird, as it does work for me like intended. I execute it locally on the client of the player who's supposed to wear the insignium. Maybe that's why.

Btw.: nil is exactly what's put in there in a comment in the biki: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia

Just now, belbo said:

That's weird, as it does work for me like intended. I execute it locally on the client of the player who's supposed to wear the insignium. Maybe that's why.

Of course it works locally. Log with 2 players and see how your method doesn't work for all players. 

1 minute ago, killzone_kid said:

Of course it works locally. Log with 2 players and see how your method doesn't work for all players. 

No, that's what I meant... It works on a dedicated server with quite a lot of players.

#edit: I think, I see the problem. With your code it'll apply the same insignium on each and every player, whereas mine will apply the insignium to one player and pass that along in the network.

1 minute ago, belbo said:

No, that's what I meant... It works on a dedicated server with quite a lot of players.

It doesn't as it cannot. I will not repeat myself why. And thanks for the link, I have got answer to my question. Note removed.

Why do people still use the mp function? It's definitely going to slow down your mission especially if you're running more scripts on top of that.

1 hour ago, Midnighters said:

Why do people still use the mp function? It's definitely going to slow down your mission especially if you're running more scripts on top of that.

It was that stupid example in comment on BIKI, was old and broken

• Like 1

Here is the story behind
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia
states argument and effect are global.

So I tried simply 
[ object , className ] call BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia;
inside initPlayerLocal.sqf but didn't work out.
Then I looked again to wiki page and saw a comment from someone who states there is a locality issue with this command in dedicated and instead of calling the function as above it should be used 

[[ player, "111thID"], "BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia", nil, true, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

so I did and again no result.
The comment from that user is deleted ( KK did).

Question is now, is this command not global argument and global effect?
If not, then wiki is still showing wrong.
I will try tonight the remoteexec version and report bacl. I suppose it will work as it looks like effect is actually local and not global like stated in wiki...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

I will come back to you on this

1 minute ago, Devastator_cm said:

Here is the story behind
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia
states argument and effect are global.

So I tried simply 
[ object , className ] call BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia;
inside initPlayerLocal.sqf but didn't work out.
Then I looked again to wiki page and saw a comment from someone who states there is a locality issue with this command in dedicated and instead of calling the function as above it should be used 

[[ player, "111thID"], "BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia", nil, true, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

so I did and again no reason.
The comment from that user is deleted ( I guess deleted after I opened the thread here).

If not, then wiki is still showing wrong.
I will try tonight the remoteexec version and report bacl. I suppose it will work as it looks like effect is actually local and not global like stated in wiki...

Is this for each player? Because if so, just throw that shit on server execution and have remoteExec do it for each player instead of each player individually, not sure if the insignia resets after respawn or not. Nor do i know if that is going to cause Jip isssues. Thoughts KK?

BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia  uses setObjectTextureGlobal command which was broken. I don't know if it's still the case. I'm quite sure it was fixed.

On the other hand, I agree  this function should be global without remoteExec it.

One more thing, for thus reading here and who would like to display their own insignia in MP server: you must create your CfgUnitInsignia class in a config.cpp, i.e. an addon. That can't work in description.ext of a MP mission. In this case, that works only in SP.

I already have the insignias inside MODs. So that is not the issue here
Are you sure setObjectTextureGlobal  is fixed? I am still using the setObjectTexture with remoteexec as workaround of that old issue :)
I will check that one as well then

2 hours ago, Devastator_cm said:

Well, function is broken. I fixed it internally, but there is datalock so will be committed after Jets and 1.70 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, killzone_kid said:

Well, function is broken. I fixed it internally, but there is datalock so will be commited after Jets and 1.70 

sweet :hyper:

Any update to this? I would very much like to add a unique callsign patch to each of my playable units.