Cpt. Squirrel

Game Engine: Multiple Water Levels?

Does the Arma 3 Game engine support multiple different "sea" levels. For example, does it support a lake and river that is above the sea level?

No not currently. You can use pond objects to create fake second water levels. They are not swimmable though.

I hope (or guess) when the new engine will be used. Maybe in a future Arma.

But BIS already showed small rivers some time ago:

29 minutes ago, bloodwyn1756 said:

But BIS already showed small rivers some time ago:

Not BIS (BI), that is BISim.

• Like 3

I can't imagine it will be in the version of the engine. Maybe in a next engine if they decide to continue the Arma series.

Well. VBS is their military orientated version of the engine, which isn't the same BI branch that is developing arma 3. So not likely we'll see anything from VBS being carried over, especially since civilian licenses for VBS are several thousand dollars. 

HOWEVER.

the water levels do shift based on the moon cycles, if you change the day, year, or month you will see a change in the water.

50 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

Well. VBS is their military orientated version of the engine, which isn't the same BI branch that is developing arma 3. So not likely we'll see anything from VBS being carried over, especially since civilian licenses for VBS are several thousand dollars. 

HOWEVER.

the water levels do shift based on the moon cycles, if you change the day, year, or month you will see a change in the water.

VBS is not made by the same company, so BI would probably have to buy the tech from them. Which doesn't seem likely for such a cosmetic feature.

By the way, the tides were enabled on the dev branch only last week. And it's still possible they won't make it into the stable ever. Mods of course can enable it any time. But that doesn't help with water elements above sea level though.

7 hours ago, Greenfist said:

VBS is not made by the same company, so BI would probably have to buy the tech from them. Which doesn't seem likely for such a cosmetic feature.

By the way, the tides were enabled on the dev branch only last week. And it's still possible they won't make it into the stable ever. Mods of course can enable it any time. But that doesn't help with water elements above sea level though.

Of course, the arma team is totally unrelated from the vbs team, I wouldn't expect any items from vbs to get bought for use in arma 3. But it's still by "Bohemia Interactive Simulations". Different branch, same company.

19 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

Of course, the arma team is totally unrelated from the vbs team, I wouldn't expect any items from vbs to get bought for use in arma 3. But it's still by "Bohemia Interactive Simulations". Different branch, same company.

Nope, same name different company - different HQ, different CEO's different teams and customers. BI is their own company and BISim is another company owned by The Riverside Company.

15 hours ago, Flax said:

Nope, same name different company - different HQ, different CEO's different teams and customers. BI is their own company and BISim is another company owned by The Riverside Company.

*Let the confusion ensue*

thanks for the clarifaction :shrug: 

• Like 1

It baffles me that such a thing would take NASA engineers to implement in this engine(?)

I dip my head into the UE4 forums from time-to-time and see the use of flow maps to achieve these little stream/river current effects. Is there just no more room in the rendering pipeline for these shaders?

I believe BISim used to be a part of BI, but was sold off.

7 hours ago, BroBeans. said:

I believe BISim used to be a part of BI, but was sold off.

IF I remember this right it was BIA (Bohemia Interactiv Australia) that was part of BIS (Bohemia Interactive Studios), but a new company called BISim (Bohemia Interactive Simulation) was created for BIA. The BIA office is today part of BISim. I think it was at that time BIS changed their name to BI (Bohemis Interactive), probably to look less like the "S" in Sim(ulation)??

So unless I'm wrong BISim has never been part of BI(S), but BIA was.

So yes it used to be a part, but at the same time no :)

That's not entirly correct, just to quote Wikipedia: " BIS began as spinoff studio Bohemia Interactive Australia (BIA), formed by Bohemia Interactive Studio and David Lagettie, [..]".

Not *quite* correct, in fact it was an alien faction from Astrolia that both started Bohemia Interactive Studios and Bohemia Interactive Simulation in order to subdue the general population with distracting games and influence militaries from several countries at the same time. According to InfoWars the main difference after they split is that BIS consists entirely of shapeshifting aliens whereas BI staff are mostly original humans.

The accidental release of alien tech in Arma proves this theory: https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/183730-flying-saucer-reichsflugscheibe/

• Like 3

Can confirm the Astrolia conspiracy.