sberla101

Request for BIS developers: Autopilot - Altitude/Heading

A request for BIS developers regarding the Jet DLC, it would be possible to have some kind of simple autopilot?... something that only holds the altituides and gyroscopic heading. Problems arise when i use the TGP because the plane loses height.

Thanks

• Like 9

This has been acknowledged by the devs, but they dont have any plans as yet to implement one. But I and many many others do agree with you on this and hopefully at some point we do get one, as you said even if its a basic alt + heading hold. 

Already exists as a mod (well altitude hold anyway).  Too lazy to find it at the moment.  Check in Addons Complete.

Totally agree.

The mod by Devas works great, yet this should be a core function within the game.

Oooohhh. I'm thinking about something right now.

What about if you could walk around the back of the plane in something like the c-130 so you can check cargo or something?

Maybe switch to a different seat whilst you aren't piloting the plane? 

ah!

Have you developers thought of adding a auto pilot holding pattern for the Jets? Like a 2 km circle at wherever height you turn it on? This would be extremely useful and I know it would not be hard to toss in there before release. I am not the only Milsim pilot who feels this would be a huge help. 

When your taking down a CAS nine line, it is a pain to write down info, mark the map, program your micro dager, and respond on the radio all at the same time you try and keep your aircraft within range of the JTAC. If you are upon the more serious milsim units like us, Air assets are a type 1 or 2 control for the most part, they circle the sky for 30-40 minutes at times waiting on a fire mission.  Adding a feature like this would highly benefit those who go through the the struggle.

Not to mention the young ones who's mom's tell them to feed the dogs or something could just pop it on and there plane is still alive when they get back.

• Like 4

It'd be great if we had a sort of "autoloiter". Actually, the biggest use case would be Blackfish. As in the real AC-130, you should be able to set up loiter parameters according to a "pylon turn cheat sheet" and let the autopilot handle actually following the pattern, providing gunners with a stable platform.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

It'd be great if we had a sort of "autoloiter". Actually, the biggest use case would be Blackfish. As in the real AC-130, you should be able to set up loiter parameters according to a "pylon turn cheat sheet" and let the autopilot handle actually following the pattern, providing gunners with a stable platform.

I did not even think about that aspect. Good eye.

• Like 1

Gentlemen, they only way we get this to work is by commenting, so if you want to see this integrated, share your experience without it and how it would benefit you.

As someone who used to fly alot of CAS i believe this would be highly beneficial, alot of times when looking at my CTAB/Android, or using my targeting pod my plane will fly way too far away from the target area because i cant really control the plane while doing these things. The blackfish being a gunship can also benefit because in things such as wasteland or Invade and Annex ive used them with other people and its very touchy to get it just right

• Like 1

The idea of having this integrated, especially for the milsim community, is fundamental. As aforementioned by 1stLt. Black, having such a system would play into the fluidity of a milsim unit when met with the task of  executing a CAS mission. Being a part of a milsim unit for 2+ years, this concept would be utilized fully and appreciated throughout the community. With this real-world application being applied to a game that prides itself on realism, it only makes sense to have this put into development before the release 

• Like 2

I like all of the comments about a "loiter mode" but even just a basic autopilot that will hold attitude and altitude would be sufficient.  Real life combat pilots rely on these modes during actual CAS.  If we are going for realistic planes they all have at least one"pilot relief mode" or autopilot.  Please incorporate.

• Like 2

Holding altitude and attitude wouldn't be sufficient for some things. Most notably, like I mentioned, the Blackfish. Also, for cases when you need to have your hands off the controls for some reason, but don't want to fly off into wild blue yonder in the meantime.

Dragon1, how would a mode that holds attitude (Bank angle and pitch) and altitude not satisfy your needs?  You wouldn't go flying off if you set a proper angle of bank.

Edited by Chumnation
spelling

Not in ArmA. Did you actually try most of the jets? Because besides the VTOLs, Buzzard and Caesar BTT the angle of bank has exactly zero turning effect. Of those that do have an improved FM, Buzzard and Caesar turn too slowly for this to be practical. By this point, I doubt that BIS will actually end up giving them realistic turn rates when banked.

Also, Loiter autopilot would lend itself to easy setup for Blackfish - you could have a "cheat sheet" with ranges, speeds and radii that the weapons are best operated at. Inputting those numbers would let you quickly and accurately set up an orbit for your gunners to best engage targets from.

• Like 1

dragon, yeah  I think my post assumes that the bank angle would have to result in a turn.  My mistake for not being specific.  I really hope that when the Jets DLC hits, that the devs have figured out the physics of how an aircraft wing works

• Like 1

Merged into one autopilot thread.

• Like 1

Like some guys mentioned, I have such mode (also with script version) available.
Check my signature

• Like 2

I would prefer "auto pilot" where you can manually input headings and altitude. So think of engaging "autopilot" and configuring heading with page up page down and

arrow keys for altitude. Very similar to Airlanes and their IFR flights (instrument flight rules). In that sense pilots can fly through the clouds or in bad weather because

they don't have to use visual aid.

• Like 1