sasha013

Scroll Mouse for Increase/Decrease Unit walking speed.

Title speaks for itself really, but I thought about this when reminiscing SC: Chaos Theory. I believe this would improve stealth game-play significantly. 

I'm well aware scrolling is used for communications/orders (which that in itself needs a vast improvement - we're still using A2 style here), but with speed scrolling, the SHIFT buttons, when pressed and hold down, for instance, could activate the comms and support menu anyway, allowing the current way of scrolling through menu options.

As for communications and support, well, even a point-and-click SWAT-4 method would be a great improvement.  

• Like 2

Would be a nice feature. I have thought about it too and even tried to bind movement speeds to mouse scroll with unfortunately terrible results :D
Went back to holding spacebar for walk-run-temporary instantly.

As for comms, orders and such menus I'm keeping my fingers crossed for improvements, since there is still fair chance of future platform updates.

• Like 2

Aren't there already a whole bunch of different movement speeds: sprint, run, tactical run, crouched run, walking, fast crawl, crawl? How would more speeds improve stealth game?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

Aren't there already a whole bunch of different movement speeds: sprint, run, tactical run, crouched run, walking, fast crawl, crawl? How would more speeds improve stealth game?

If you have control over your speed via a scroll you won't need specific pre-programmed movements. You can reach a target with a pace that's less time-consuming yet doesn't give your position away, just like in real life. Also it would exploit the fatigue system better in the game, as you can control your unit's movement without the need to stop every few seconds. 

They could even programme it that upon scrolling to a certain speed, units won't be able to lift their weapons (and vice-versa). No key strokes, just one scroll that makes all the difference. 

Current walking/running speeds, as well as the tactical run, have too much difference between them which kind of kills immersion. They're brilliant, don't get me wrong, and far more effective than 99% of other shooters out there (yes I know ArmA 3 is not, it's for comparison sake), but I believe this method, as well as an effective cover system, would really make a killing game experience. 

• Like 1

On 30.4.2017 at 8:11 PM, sasha013 said:

...as you can control your unit's movement without the need to stop every few seconds.

I try to push this as much as I can to other players minds out there. If you walk you don't need to stop, ever unless you want to / or steep incline is fatiguing you.
This is why use the specically use the beloved spacebar to control pace. Hold it -> steadier, smoother aim on the move -> stamina recovers constantly -> even better aim -> better gameplay!

Not to mention how much less janky it is to peek around corners and windows etc. When sh*t eventually hits the fan you never get confused

Unpopular opinion, I know, but I'd love on-screen UI options, mainly because then it would be 100% possible to get full controller support. 

For instance, take Ghost Recon Wildlands. Lots of buttons do multiple things, but the more intricate stuff is relegated to on-screen clickable UI menus and I think it could be done in Arma.

I realize demand isn't there currently. But now with more powerful consoles, I imagine supporting XBox/PlayStation could be a big financial boon.

• Like 1

I agree that some way to control speed should be added so we have a way of moving around, without clip clopping all over the place like an idiot. Please come on, who the hell walks as loud as the character do in game without trying to walk loudly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Unpopular opinion, I know, but I'd love on-screen UI options, mainly because then it would be 100% possible to get full controller support. 

For instance, take Ghost Recon Wildlands. Lots of buttons do multiple things, but the more intricate stuff is relegated to on-screen clickable UI menus and I think it could be done in Arma.

I realize demand isn't there currently. But now with more powerful consoles, I imagine supporting XBox/PlayStation could be a big financial boon.

I'm genuinely surprised BI never took the initiative to improve their communications options from the (still) current A2 form. After all, they did specify (especially during the Alpha phase) that infantry gameplay was of most importance to them in development, so surely this has much to do with it as everything else? 

Maybe they did try and were unsuccessful in developing a suitable replacement? 

I still hope for a platform update that sees a better system, but I feel realistically that, seeing the size of it, if it's not mentioned in the recent Roadmap then it's unlikely to happen.  

On May 1, 2017 at 4:25 PM, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

No no no. Don't get any big ideas here. Soon enough the altis life and zombie players will run rampant tenfold. 

Save yourself while you can.