wsxcgy

wsxcgy's Extra RHS Uniform Re-textures 2.1.1

23 minutes ago, road runner said:

Just create a mid red colour for the smdi map in 1024x 1024, I use that quite often, it keeps the uniforms/gears fairly flat.

But isn't editing materials prohibited for RHS assets?

10 minutes ago, Ltf said:

Which is why it's a strange comment from the OP, as the RHS smdi file and rvmat are not too bad.

5 hours ago, road runner said:

Just create a mid red colour for the smdi map in 1024x 1024, I use that quite often, it keeps the uniforms/gears fairly flat.

The reason why you may feel they don't look great is due to you overlaying the base texture as a complete sheet, so the pattern isn't broken up, this was also the way I used to do my uniforms, then painfully I realised that the uniforms look a lot better when each cloth panel comes from a seperate part of the main camo texture, so all my recent releases have been done this way, much like a real garment. It's a Royal pain the the fucking arse, but the results are a whole lot more satisfying.

Good effort though.

Thanks for the advice, but I did break the fabric at each cut. I actually have made a really easy process for breaking the patterns up, I have hidden white layers with erased areas corresponding with the cuts, I paste a few layers with my patterns, of course all offset from eachother some, and then I select the white regions on the hidden layers and delete them from the pattern layers. My base is actually a multiply blending layer on top of everything instead of the patterns overlaying. I can quickly paste patterns, delete the predefined regions of the pattern, and flatten the image, takes like 5 minutes at most. The problem with the FROG template was moreso with the base than the pattern. I couldn't find the right contrast and it looked plastic, even after efforts to add a fabric texture to the base. If I set the contrast to bring out the details, the ruffles became too pronounced, when I set thd contrast to subdue the ruffles, the details got washed out. The way the normal was just really didn't lend itself to what I was doing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ltf said:

4 hours ago, road runner said:

Which is why it's a strange comment from the OP, as the RHS smdi file and rvmat are not too bad.

I didn't change RHS rvmats, normals, or speculars. I used a normal map as a base texture for the hiddenselections diffuse maps since there was nothing else to use as a base. I change no RHS files in any way. If thats not legal, then I suppose its fortunate I gave up the effort. 

53 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

I didn't change RHS rvmats, normals, or speculars. I used a normal map as a base texture for the hiddenselections diffuse maps since there was nothing else to use as a base. I change no RHS files in any way. If thats not legal, then I suppose its fortunate I gave up the effort. 

Even the default uniforms look too plastic and shiny for me, the RHS stuff always looked not too shabby in terms of the specular, the problem with uniforms is indeed getting the right balance, using the VA to view is not the best as it's artificial light, I've ditched tonnes of stuff due to the balance not being what I'm happy with.

Keep plugging away, as these are pretty good, and offer lots of variations now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, road runner said:

Even the default uniforms look too plastic and shiny for me, the RHS stuff always looked not too shabby in terms of the specular, the problem with uniforms is indeed getting the right balance, using the VA to view is not the best as it's artificial light, I've ditched tonnes of stuff due to the balance not being what I'm happy with.

Keep plugging away, as these are pretty good, and offer lots of variations now.

I still have the template around, I might give it another go later on, testing in natural light is a good idea. Thank you. 

Right now I'm not sure where to go from here, as far as plugging away goes. 

1 hour ago, wsxcgy said:

you are free to use setObjectMaterial if you want to, pointing to your own RVMAT file if needed to.

and yes, as said, never use VA for testing lighting, because is completely different

• Like 2

How bout boonie hats, caps and face masks with the G3 camos?

i love how you covered amcu, Atacs, MTP  in G3! Thank you!

53 minutes ago, PuFu said:

you are free to use setObjectMaterial if you want to, pointing to your own RVMAT file if needed to.

and yes, as said, never use VA for testing lighting, because is completely different

Can I or anyone else also do that? I would like to create a new normal map for russian flight suit to make it look like a nomex coverall

12 minutes ago, Ltf said:

Can I or anyone else also do that? I would like to create a new normal map for russian flight suit to make it look like a nomex coverall

Yes, eventually with prior notice/headsup would be respectful and the normal thing to do, as long as NONE of the original data provided is ever re-packed and re-distributed in any way or form (be it private or public crowds)

ex: if you just wanna edit just the normal map for a specific supershader, the only change of that rvmat should be the path of that nohq texture to your own custom one, the rest should remain the same and point towards the original data rather than repack them all as you see fit

That said, bear in mind that there are still some issues when using setObjectMaterial, so use that at your own risk and nerves

NOTE:
RHS reserves the right to spank any derivative work as RHS sees fit, based on the CC-BY-NC-ND (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives) license we use.

sry for the semi-oftopic_ness here

• Like 2

So I remade some of the antagonist factions from all the Arma games. Gotta say your uniforms look pretty good on them!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

Right now I'm not sure where to go from here, as far as plugging away goes. 

Body Armor and Rucksacks, maybe? Helmets with Goggles and/or NVG mounts? ACH? Not trying to request just trying to throw some ideas around. If you already have something don't pander to lil ol' me :)

10 hours ago, Hvymtal said:

Body Armor and Rucksacks, maybe? Helmets with Goggles and/or NVG mounts? ACH? Not trying to request just trying to throw some ideas around. If you already have something don't pander to lil ol' me :)

Said this earlier, but I invite requests, might be strange because everywhere else they're condemned, so don't worry about making requests. 

I've wanted to do PASGT helmets with goggles, thanks for kind of reminding me, I forgot about that after other things came up. NVG mounts also possible, probably just on like a couple. Not sure what to do for body armor and rucks, a lot of countries, especially the ones more or less portrayed by this addon, use woodland gear or flat color gear and all of that is already in vanilla and RHS, and with the DPM, 3CB. I have a problem with overthinking things and only following what I've observed in referece pictures, so I'd be less inclined to make everything in every pattern. I also forgot my consideration of doing SPC vests, those will may come in ranger green, coyote tan, and multicam.

Perhaps the AAF GA armor to match some of the patterns on the M93 uniforms? Its nice and generic, and it fits pretty well on the M93 (though the vest does clip a bit at the shoulders, as does the leg holster but that's meh). If I had to boil it down to what would be realistic and sensible, I'd go with Woodland, CSAT, your Generic patterns (or at least generic digi), CADPAT, 3CD, CE, and solid colors, and be mindful to try and include all three versions, everyone seems to forget the GL in their retextures (though if that's for lack of access to it or to texture files that make sense then oh well :P). Out of that selection there'd be plenty of variety to clog up the vest selection but not overly so :)

For rucks, perhaps start with the field pack and carryall in those patterns (CSAT excluded ofc), then maybe the assault pack, "tactical" backpack, and kitbag. Plenty of solid colors on the packs and we haven't gotten a decent retex in a while so :)

If you want to do the NATO vests, perhaps in WARPAT, Multipat, Multicam, Highlander, and IX to keep it simple. Maybe even BIS MTP

Also the aversion to requests is that at some point you the developer get so inundated with them that you cannot possibly so all of it. Not as big a deal for something like a retexture mod which take much less effort but it's often a big deal for guys who "add new things" with models, sounds, lots and lots of code and hair-pulling-out bug fixing, anims, etc. Hence the RHS FAQ #1 and #2 and Toadie's work list

• Like 1

Well, if you have no issue with requests, would you be able to add a Flecktarn/Tropentarn Booniehat and Ops-Core Helmet? :f:

Painted nvgs would be awesome too

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scooterperpetual said:

Painted NVG's would be sweet! Pretty sure the only ones I have seen in A3 are the ones in the Ranger pack but those dont work well with a lot of helmets.

There's some in Eric J's pack too ;)

• Like 1

I like the idea of painted NVGs, not sure if its possible to do the NVGs because I highly doubt they have hiddenselections and I don't want to have to (and may not be allowed to) directly duplicate RHS data. I'm assuming the opscore has hiddenselections though, but if I do make a flecktarn cover, it will probably be the only opscore in the pack; I've never seen them in anything except multicam, solid colors, and in rare cases flecktan for KSK. Same deal for ACH helmets and any plate carrier. 

12 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

I like the idea of painted NVGs, not sure if its possible to do the NVGs because I highly doubt they have hiddenselections and I don't want to have to (and may not be allowed to) directly duplicate RHS data. I'm assuming the opscore has hiddenselections though, but if I do make a flecktarn cover, it will probably be the only opscore in the pack; I've never seen them in anything except multicam, solid colors, and in rare cases flecktan for KSK. Same deal for ACH helmets and any plate carrier. 

gladius-1.jpg

The Ops-Core covers for Tropentarn and Flecktarn gear seem to become more common in the Bundeswehr. Only problem as far as I know is that they had some Flecktarn shortages for the new gear (exercise in norway) but I would guess that those are solved by now.

• Like 1

Just now, lumnuon said:

The Ops-Core covers for Tropentarn and Flecktarn gear seem to become more common in the Bundeswehr, not sure if this is of any use for informational purposes (not like it´s hard to find anyway).

Nice reference, I love references, they're actually a part of why I like making this, researching stuff and all that. I've been thinking, maybe I'll make a separate "WS RHS KSK SOF CQB BD acronym Extenion" with the boonies and the G3s and the opscores. Might look into camo G36s from SAF too. Should I make M93s or should that be left to Bundeswehr Kleiderkammer mod?

3 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

Depends on which Ops Cores, if it's the ones from Warden_1 they have the covers as hidden selections, if it's the ones from Cunico, they lack covers.

Also there's lots of covered ops cores, the Norwegians use them, in their regular pattern and desert pattern, I've also seen AOR1, and 2 covers being used.

2 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

Nice reference, I love references, they're actually a part of why I like making this, researching stuff and all that. I've been thinking, maybe I'll make a separate "WS RHS KSK SOF CQB BD acronym Extenion" with the boonies and the G3s and the opscores. Might look into camo G36s from SAF too. Should I make M93s or should that be left to Bundeswehr Kleiderkammer mod?

M92s would be awesome imo because right now your mod allows for a very slim addition to RHS that nontheless makes an entirely new faction (Bundeswehr) possible (at least SF guys working together with US troops).

5 minutes ago, road runner said:

Depends on which Ops Cores, if it's the ones from Warden_1 they have the covers as hidden selections, if it's the ones from Cunico, they lack covers.

Also there's lots of covered ops cores, the Norwegians use them, in their regular pattern and desert pattern, I've also seen AOR1, and 2 covers being used.

I was planning on doing warden_1's. If thats the case with the Norwegians, sounds like I'm making M/03 opscore covers. Thanks for the insight.

• Like 2