sasha013

Malden DLC 2035 - Official Feedback Post

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

They look out of place, very little else on the island is derelict.

The domes are found in what looks to be an abandoned military base. Abandoned complexes like that aren't particularly uncommon in many parts of the world, though they're more often industrial than military. I don't really see how they look out of place.

15 minutes ago, darkChozo said:

The domes are found in what looks to be an abandoned military base. Abandoned complexes like that aren't particularly uncommon in many parts of the world, though they're more often industrial than military. I don't really see how they look out of place.

Besides Sci-Fi cinema sets, I don't remember seeing any like that in any part of the World. Well in some zoos they have a similar building for birds or monkeys.

It really kills the atmosphere if you want to simulate any other conflict that is not the 2035 sci fi Arma 3 setting. Huge pity.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mistyronin said:

Besides Sci-Fi cinema sets, I don't remember seeing any like that in any part of the World. Well in some zoos they have a similar building for birds or monkeys.

It really kills the atmosphere if you want to simulate any other conflict that is not the 2035 sci fi Arma 3 setting. Huge pity.

If a particular map object really bothers you, you do have the ability to remove the map object via scripting.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, mistyronin said:

There you go, it was a zoo that was converted into a military base. Stratis and Altis ruin a lot of scenarios too. So does Tanoa. The rusted domes are only on the northern part of the island anyway. Just avoid the north.

3 hours ago, metalcraze said:

Why cellsize from 2001? It looks horrible. Stratis isn't much smaller than this and yet it has a 5 times more detailed terrain.

The cellsize was 50m back in 2001 and this is definitely not that. This is at worst 12.5m which was the DEM resolution of the heightmap that the project was started on. Perhaps someone likes "smoother performance". I think it looks great personally. Not to mention the terrain itself is not only free but is also going to provide map makers with new content for their own stuff (bunkers, trees, buildings, etc.).

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, a_killer_wombat said:

If a particular map object really bothers you, you do have the ability to remove the map object via scripting.

I'll have to end doing that. Sad, but otherwise I think it's an incredible map. 

i like it, looks good. Especially like the abundance of neat rock formations. 

Only the extreme steep parts near Vigny that are not covered by rocks look a bit poor due to heavy texture stretching

Would appreciate smaller cellsize, but im pretty sure its a bit late for changing that?

The Lighthouse type near La Rivierre has solid green texture as it's "light" (maybe someone forgot hiddenselection/settexture?)

Green Lighthouse, green light. Solid logic, can't argue.

20170527021259_15fkud.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jakerod said:

There you go, it was a zoo that was converted into a military base. Stratis and Altis ruin a lot of scenarios too. So does Tanoa. The rusted domes are only on the northern part of the island anyway. Just avoid the north.

The cellsize was 50m back in 2001 and this is definitely not that. This is at worst 12.5m which was the DEM resolution of the heightmap that the project was started on. Perhaps someone likes "smoother performance". I think it looks great personally. Not to mention the terrain itself is not only free but is also going to provide map makers with new content for their own stuff (bunkers, trees, buildings, etc.).

I hadnt even noticed the cellsize till metalcraze pointed it out. It does seem that there's a distinct lack of ditches and trenches on the map. Not a dealbreaker by any measure (and maybe Im just imagining things), but I did like all that terrain cover as an infantryman. 

3 minutes ago, Bitesrad said:

I hadnt even noticed the cellsize till metalcraze pointed it out. It does seem that there's a distinct lack of ditches and trenches on the map. Not a dealbreaker by any measure however (and maybe Im just imagining things). 

There's definitely more than their used to be. Maybe not quite as many as Altis or Stratis but quite a few. The Houdan-Dourdan area has several bridges going over ditches. I still haven't really noticed any bad looking areas due to cell size or anything else. Granted I'm also the guy who was playing OFP yesterday so maybe it's just an improvement from that :D

• Like 3

does maldera have new trees? LODs are switching very late on trees (lowest resolution displayed even at short ranges), not sure if just my settings and PC. Can somebody confirm? Compare both screens, Right of the house, the pale green tree stand out badly.

20170527022012_26ak0a.jpg

20170527022013_1bokdc.jpg

There are some new trees I believe. Vineyards are definitely new and I think the umbrella pines as well. My game always runs at a stable 8 FPS no matter what so I'm not the best person to check on the LODs probably.

• Like 1

The best part about these new/updated 'Malden' buildings.....NO WINDOW SHUTTERS....horrraaayy!!!!!

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, mistyronin said:

They're called geodesic domes and they're pretty old. Most people will be familiar with them as the "building of the future" of the 70s and 80s, but the US military was experimenting with their use as quick-to-install structures in the 50s. In terms of military usage, you'll probably be most familiar with them in the form of radomes, the white golfball things they use to protect radar dishes.

I'd agree that they're a bit weird on Altis, since it's not really clear why they're there or why they have the weird research structures in them. But they actually make a decent amount of sense in an old decaying base, even if it's not totally historically accurate.

• Like 6

From a logical standpoint they are acceptable. I find them a bit overused (the halfsphere ones). They take a lot of space, but do barely offer any gameplay.

Its like the gigantic cooling towers on dalian plant in BF2 if anyone remembers those... gigantic but entirely useless/noninteractable and uninteresting due to this.

10 minutes ago, darkChozo said:

They're called geodesic domes and they're pretty old. Most people will be familiar with them as the "building of the future" of the 70s and 80s, but the US military was experimenting with their use as quick-to-install structures in the 50s. In terms of military usage, you'll probably be most familiar with them in the form of radomes, the white golfball things they use to protect radar dishes.

I gotta confess I was not familiar with the geodesic domes, although the "2035 Arma" dome structure seems a bit different that those in the 50-60s. In any case, it's quite a break from the OFP map, which was in the 1985. In any case, I'll probably opt to make them "disappear" if I have to do a mission in the area. Although I must recognise that their position is more inconspicuous than in the Altis map. 

BTW I don't mind radomes because I've been in some military bases that actually use them. One in a pretty similar setting as in Altis: the US radar in Puig Major, Majorca (Balearic islands)

Puig-Major-Mallorca.jpg 

• Like 1

the sand texture is very nice with the parallax effect. However, the sat-map color/texture is really unfitting. Sat map in such areas should be more yellowish and smoother, less grey

(note the transition in the background)

20170527032717_1uekqn.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mistyronin said:

it's quite a break from the OFP map, which was in the 1985. 

Yeah, sure. But that's why this is called "Malden 2035" and not "Malden 1985" - Same island, different time. Folks seem to forget that.

• Like 4

Very nice terrain. When I first heard about Malden 2035 I had my doubts and believed it would not add alot to Arma 3. But seeing it now I really like it. Small details like this:

FerZiWI.jpg

Can add alot of gameplay possibilities.

Well done, BIS!

• Like 5

Very nice BIS. Without any doubt you shine at making terrains.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, x3kj said:

Green Lighthouse, green light. Solid logic, can't argue.

Since there are both green and red "lighthouses" I'm guessing It is more of a Sector light than a light house.

So far Im really impressed. I like the newly painted buildings - it makes a difference. Also some of the new objects like the sandbags and barricades are nice.

Hoping to see some official Showcase scenario after release (something along the lines of "Ambush 2035").

And seeing that beautiful desert texture in the northern part that was used on Altis only for that tiny desert area made me realize how nice it would be to have an official middle-eastern/desert map for A3.

• Like 3

Any chance to increase the size of the map view and extent the sea area? With the recent release of the Carrier and Jets DLC I believe it would give mission editors a bit more room to play.

0kHhrYX.jpg

• Like 7

i have been playing argo mainly to explore this island. I really really like it! well done :)

+ all the new content that comes with it :)

• Like 5

Now for the first bug reports. May they be the last.

T125106

Harbour west of Goisse. Player is unable to access ladders from the water and is also unable to use ladders properly.

T125108

Very low res texture on dock pillars.  (video settings on ultra)

20170527105913_1.jpg20170527114009_1.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

Any chance to increase the size of the map view and extent the sea area? With the recent release of the Carrier and Jets DLC I believe it would give mission editors a bit more room to play.

0kHhrYX.jpg

Agreed, this would be wonderful if it could be extended.

• Like 2

change CUP Malden houses to altis stratis = MALDEN DLC