sasha013

Malden DLC 2035 - Official Feedback Post

This is now the official feedback post for the upcoming Malden DLC 2035.

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks. 

Spoiler

OLD POST: Where is its actual geographical position in the 'Armaverse'? I know Altis/Stratis are just south of Lampedusa, on the Mediterranean, and Tanoa somewhere in the South Pacific, but the original Arma Cold War Crisis islands? 

According to Wiki it's based on Lefkas in the Ionian sea, but the nearest major country is Germany, does that mean were're looking at somewhere near Denmark/Sweden, by the Baltic or North Sea? If so, lets hope to see more Northern European style structures. 

I could be wrong but I don't believe there ever has been a location for them in the ArmAverse. People just kind of made up their own thing. I don't even think their positions relative to each other are known because if you look at the CWC campaign you seem to just randomly attack from different directions. Malden has a very Mediterranean climate whereas Everon and Kolgujev have a very Northern European one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJankovic said:

I'm not convinced that that page is trustworthy. It seems like a bunch of random crap with no supporting evidence got added to it in 2007. I've never seen half of the stuff mentioned in that article mentioned anywhere else. Not saying it is wrong but I would "take it with a grain of salt".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jakerod said:

I could be wrong but I don't believe there ever has been a location for them in the ArmAverse. People just kind of made up their own thing. I don't even think their positions relative to each other are known because if you look at the CWC campaign you seem to just randomly attack from different directions. Malden has a very Mediterranean climate whereas Everon and Kolgujev have a very Northern European one.

All maps have a global lat/long location.  Having said that I've never looked up what the original OFP ones were.

• Like 1

Judging from this block by Ivan Buchta from Project Argo, it looks like they're sticking to a more southern European look, much like Altis and Stratis, with extra bits like a Vineyard and a Fjord. I must say I'm not too surprised, considering this was mentioned in the 2017 Roadmap, but deep down I did kind of wished they'd approach the classic OFP northern look instead. 

Hence the purpose of my question: by knowing its position I would've got a clearer idea where BI were going with the remastered map (which I'm still looking very forward to!) 

Still, judging by those photos, it is shaping up to be a lovely island. 

• Like 2

Yeah, looking at the existent screenshots and video snippets it feels a bit like Altis / Stratis.

The original OFP look would have been amazing!

BUT the steeper and higher mountains are still the same which I loved in OFP.

EDIT:

For the original look we have CUP Terrains. :icon14:

Edited by Undeceived
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

All maps have a global lat/long location.  Having said that I've never looked up what the original OFP ones were.

I'm fairly certain that the OFP ones are just the locations of the real islands. That means that in order for you to get from Malden to Kolgujev you have to fly over Russia. Something tells me the Soviets didn't let you do that in your A-10 between the missions "Planes Start" and "Maverick" back in OFP.

The new one is probably supposed to be in the Mediterranean somewhere or just doesn't have a real world location. I personally think it feels a lot like the original Malden. Obviously the buildings are different but it's a lot of work to remake all those buildings plus I feel like they would have used Greek looking buildings back in the day if they had the resources. Marek can feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong. I kind of want to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakerod said:

I'm fairly certain that the OFP ones are just the locations of the real islands. That means that in order for you to get from Malden to Kolgujev you have to fly over Russia. Something tells me the Soviets didn't let you do that in your A-10 between the missions "Planes Start" and "Maverick" back in OFP.

If the real locations were used, then Malden is on the west coast of Greece, Kolgujev is west of Morocco and Everon is in the top part of Adriatic sea near the top of the Croatian coastline. So no flying over Russia, just over the Mediterranean sea and a bit of Africa. It's been a while since OFP, but I believe all islands point to the same location in configs, somewhere off the coast of Italy, towards France. Either way, it ends up in the Mediterranean sea by both data points we have.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

If the real locations were used, then Malden is on the west coast of Greece, Kolgujev is west of Morocco and Everon is in the top part of Adriatic sea near the top of the Croatian coastline. So no flying over Russia, just over the Mediterranean sea and a bit of Africa. It's been a while since OFP, but I believe all islands point to the same location in configs, somewhere off the coast of Italy, towards France. Either way, it ends up in the Mediterranean sea by both data points we have.

Oh right. Kolgujev is the name of a real island north of Russia but OFP Kolgujev is based on Tenerife in the Canaries. Also, I'm looking at the CWR2 configs, because I can't find the OFP ones, they all have locations of their real life counterparts.

• Like 1

They release Malden just when my computer burns down so RIP ArmA for me :( any screens from it tho?:)

•  Added: Malden 2035 terrain

b4Kudfw.jpg

• Like 1

Download almost ready, gonna make a video, if OBS works this time.

Video is still processing.

• Like 1

Finally, I wont have to walk across the map to find the billboards.

Now I can't do anything but sit and watch the download bar...

Made a short album of Malden:

(There are some mods and slight retouching involved in some images.)

• Like 3

Wasn't it said there won't be new buildings? I just stumbled over some sort of big barn building that I am 100% sure I've never seen in ArmA3 before. Looks a bit like a retextured building from ArmA2, but can't exactly say. In any case, it's cool to see new shit.

• Like 3

Liking the Terrain so far. The hills and cliffs are impressive and the extra splash of paint on the buildings differentiates it from Altis and Stratis enough. Haven't looked close enough to find any bugs with the terrain itself yet, but I have found a problem (?) with the two new lighthouses (Land_Lighthouse_03_Green_F and Land_Lighthouse_03_Red_F).

Instead of the spinning light being an actual light source with a flare it's simply a flat texture, as seen here: sPkGA3o.jpg

Maybe this intended? Not sure, haven't seen enough lighthouses IRL to know, but it doesn't look too great and doesn't actually light anything up when compared to the first lighthouse.

Other than that, anyone know if these two new puddle objects are used on the terrain? Can't find them anywhere (these are placed):  Re5kjLt.jpg

• Like 2

Why cellsize from 2001? It looks horrible. Stratis isn't much smaller than this and yet it has a 5 times more detailed terrain.

Wbpvgk2.jpg

E99OqFc.jpg

• Like 3

IMHO It's a pity they included the derelict domes. The map looks really good but that detail breaks the immersion and area for many types of missions. :down:

It's like having a glass of a great wine with a fly on it. Well, at least we can use Tanoa...

• Like 3

They look out of place, very little else on the island is derelict.

The only bug I found so far is with the "Crack 2x2" decal, its way too specular compared to the other sizes.
xvVipzJ.jpg

2 hours ago, slowrider8 said:

Haven't looked close enough to find any bugs with the terrain itself yet, but I have found a problem (?) with the two new lighthouses (Land_Lighthouse_03_Green_F and Land_Lighthouse_03_Red_F).

Instead of the spinning light being an actual light source with a flare it's simply a flat texture, as seen here:

Agree, a nicer emissive texture+actual light with flare would be nice.

2035 Malden is awesome :D First impression is nothing short of amazing. Finally it feels like a real Greek island (it always had that vibe, but with Arma 3 graphics it fully embraces that role). However, if I could change one thing, it would be relocating the little island with the airstrip (gastovski's 'home') in the northwest corner of the map. I would prefer it to be way further removed from Malden proper. Back in the day it didn't really matter due to the limited viewdistance, but now it's in full view of the main island.