The Jets DLC splash screen that was added mentions that the new 0-100% throttle system is optional, but for the life of me, I am unable to figure out how to change back to the old system.

I think the new throttle control is an excellent thing for people with a hotas setup, but as a mouse and keyboard player it just creates unnecessary task saturation for me. Assuming default controls, a m&k player can't possibly throttle back/airbrake while rolling/yawing to the left (Which a CAS pilot frequently needs to), because all four of those controls typically require the use of the left ring finger. I can of course (and do have) some of that stuff rebound to more convenient buttons, but it would still be nice to just have my aircraft manage its own speed like before so I can focus on whatever task's at hand.

• Like 2

I'm sporting a hotas but can't figure out how to get the analog thrust axis to work.

Using Arma 3 preset it tells me the negative axis is bound to brake (analog) but I can't find that anywhere to delete the keybind.

Using Apex preset I bind both throttle axis (+ and -) like the tooltip says, but the throttle doesn't react at all.

Cheers

(Attempting to edit my original post keeps failing for some reason)

So has the actual throttle "Option" already been implemented somewhere and I'm just missing it, or for the time being do I need to just adjust a value somewhere in the game files?

Got it figured out.

I had to bind the negative axis first, then the positive.

Other way round did not work.

Tried it again and it worked, but inversed.

Weird.

@Venantium you probably need to choose the Arma 3 binding preset.

Ran into some other problems with the Apex binding preset myself

Cheers

3 hours ago, Venantium said:

The Jets DLC splash screen that was added mentions that the new 0-100% throttle system is optional, but for the life of me, I am unable to figure out how to change back to the old system.

I think the new throttle control is an excellent thing for people with a hotas setup, but as a mouse and keyboard player it just creates unnecessary task saturation for me. Assuming default controls, a m&k player can't possibly throttle back/airbrake while rolling/yawing to the left (Which a CAS pilot frequently needs to), because all four of those controls typically require the use of the left ring finger. I can of course (and do have) some of that stuff rebound to more convenient buttons, but it would still be nice to just have my aircraft manage its own speed like before so I can focus on whatever task's at hand.

The throttle has been changed to incremental for kb/m users. Players with analog controllers had the option even before. There were several motivations behind this move. One was seeing how people kept a finger on the Shift key all the time when flying. We've found out that many people didn't realize how the throttle worked precisely (maintaining speed from the moment when increase or decrase key was released). The 0-100 can be considered more of an industry standard, even in arcade flight games.
As for convenience of default controls - what keys have u remapped the actions to pls?

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Using Arma 3 preset it tells me the negative axis is bound to brake (analog) but I can't find that anywhere to delete the keybind.

Good point. Will put the action back. The new Speedbrake action works also when mapped to analog controller (and I'd recommend using it), but it makes sense to keep the old one for exactly these conflict reasons. Thanks ;)

Ran into some other problems with the Apex binding preset myself

What other problems have you experienced pls?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oukej said:

What other problems have you experienced pls?

Got really confused when the most recent devbranch changed my keybindings profile to apex, and couldn't figure out why I was unable to select my launcher/pistol from the action menu.

I've always been using the Arma 3 profile, so that's the issue, nothing serious, heh.

Cheers

Came across something odd right after starting arma.

Hopped into the jet, pushed hotas throttle forward, engine starts but throttle movement does not register.

Check keybinds, all there.

Check the show option in the controller window, axis is moving.

Back in the jet, no reaction to hotas throttle movement.

Then I hit shift to see if it's working at all and all of a sudden the hotas throttle is working as well.

Weird.

Also noticed a huge input lag of roughly 0.3-0.5s to my input.

Didn't really pay much attention to it before but has it always been this bad?

My joystick is already zeroed in the center while the in game display in the controller window takes 0.3-0.5 seconds to react.

Only happens in arma, other games register movement of the hotas almost near instant.

Cheers

On 4/28/2017 at 6:32 PM, oukej said:

One was seeing how people kept a finger on the Shift key all the time when flying. We've found out that many people didn't realize how the throttle worked precisely (maintaining speed from the moment when increase or decrease key was released). The 0-100 can be considered more of an industry standard, even in arcade flight games.
As for convenience of default controls - what keys have u remapped the actions to pls?

I understand why it would be desirable to have a throttle control that more closely resembles the industry standard and I don't have any complaints about it getting added, but I far prefer the way Arma 3 handled throttle before. So my main question is will it be optional to go back to the old way throttle was handled, or is the 0-100% throttle going to be the only system from here on out?

As for default control remapping, unfortunately I don't have much in the way of suggestions for a default kb&m setup. I have a Logitech G502 mouse so I've moved some controls to the extra buttons I have on that, but not everyone will have a mouse with extra functions. Currently, I've got freelook, airbrakes, left and right panel functions, and zoom in/out bound to some of the extra keys on there. Most of the rest of my keyboard's setup is default, as far as I remember.

• Like 2

I also cannot find the option to revert to the older settings. Having spent thousands of hours with the old system (Q to accelerate, Z to decelerate); the new system is Aggravating to say in the Least... 
Now I'm having to not only focus on my engine power percentage, but it makes Taxi'ing at a certain speed impossible- and when landing I need to not only hold Z- but ctrl+b ASWELL to hard-break to bleed off speed.. 
It's Ridiculous for mouse/keyboard users.. And the fact that macro keys (even Mouse macro keys) (Using a Razer Deathadder, two extra buttons on the left side) arn't registered by ArmA 3 Controls, I can't use one for Breaking. 

Please, PLEASE tell us where the bloody option is to change back throttle/behavior controls are- or at the very least Integrate one.. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, umd223 said:

I also cannot find the option to revert to the older settings. Having spent thousands of hours with the old system (Q to accelerate, Z to decelerate); the new system is Aggravating to say in the Least... 
Now I'm having to not only focus on my engine power percentage, but it makes Taxi'ing at a certain speed impossible- and when landing I need to not only hold Z- but ctrl+b ASWELL to hard-break to bleed off speed.. 
It's Ridiculous for mouse/keyboard users.. And the fact that macro keys (even Mouse macro keys) (Using a Razer Deathadder, two extra buttons on the left side) arn't registered by ArmA 3 Controls, I can't use one for Breaking. 

Please, PLEASE tell us where the bloody option is to change back throttle/behavior controls are- or at the very least Integrate one.. 

There is no option to change back. Everyone else that used KB+M seemed to have converted over fine. 

To be completely honest, if you struggle to focus on throttle and speed break at the same time... flying probably isn't for you. 

19 hours ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

There is no option to change back. Everyone else that used KB+M seemed to have converted over fine. 

To be completely honest, if you struggle to focus on throttle and speed break at the same time... flying probably isn't for you. 

"If you can't multitask, then what you've been doing for thousands of hours- Probebly isn't for you.." 
Thanks mate, 10/10 for help. 

In the change log, Bi has specifically stated that the throttle feature/mechanic is Optional. Hence asking where the Option is; if you even bothered reading my post. 

2 hours ago, umd223 said:

In the change log, Bi has specifically stated that the throttle feature/mechanic is Optional. Hence asking where the Option is; if you even bothered reading my post.

I've taken a look at the changelog. There's actually no mention of the continuous throttle feature. I wasn't fond of it myself, but with a little bit of practice it comes actually quite naturally.

Something that I don't get is the Q- and Z-keys (which are standard btw.) I have Q and E for the rudder, X for add throttle, Z for reduce throttle, B for the air brake and WASD for the other bits. That seems much more natural to me.

6 hours ago, umd223 said:

"If you can't multitask, then what you've been doing for thousands of hours- Probebly isn't for you.." 

Well if you've done 1000s of hours then it shouldn't be too hard to pick up. Only took me a few hours to half a day to get comfortable with the new keyboard stuff, despite playing with a stick and throttle for the previous 2500 or so hours. I'd say my adaptability skills are 10/10.  

4 hours ago, belbo said:

I've taken a look at the changelog. There's actually no mention of the continuous throttle feature. I wasn't fond of it myself, but with a little bit of practice it comes actually quite naturally.

Something that I don't get is the Q- and Z-keys (which are standard btw.) I have Q and E for the rudder, X for add throttle, Z for reduce throttle, B for the air brake and WASD for the other bits. That seems much more natural to me.

I got 'shift' for accelerate, 'z' to decelerate, 'x' for speed break, 'q' & 'e' for rudders and the usual WASD. Feels like normal fps keybindings. I wonder why yours are so different unless you changed them yourself? 

1 hour ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

I wonder why yours are so different unless you changed them yourself? 

I did. That's why they're bound like that. Having all thrust-related binds reachable with your thumb seems more intuitive. It's just a recommendation to find a suitable system for getting used to the way throttle is handled now.

29 minutes ago, belbo said:

I did. That's why they're bound like that. Having all thrust-related binds reachable with your thumb seems more intuitive. It's just a recommendation to find a suitable system for getting used to the way throttle is handled now.

Ahh ok. Was thinking to myself if that was a BI keyboard layout that would be a bit strange, since its not your cliche keyboard flying stuff. What we really need is Warthunder style keyboard and mouse flying, now that would be interesting. 

Could be cool the ability to have the option for cruising speed. Really hard for me with speed fluctuation especially when trying to lock on a ground target.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 0:50 AM, umd223 said:

There's always that one guy isn't there man? Haha

I would love to see an option to revert the throttle back as well. I also remember seeing something about the new throttle being optional. Typical BIS I guess.

• Like 2

I am sorry but I have to refute the option for different throttle behavior.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oukej said:

I am sorry but I have to refute the option for different throttle behavior.

And why is that? Perhaps the splash screen I read was just worded poorly. I don't see why it couldn't be made an option. You did it with the AFM.

The simple fact of the matter is you tried to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. Sure plenty of people fly with expensive HOTAS setups and the new 0-100 throttle is a welcome addition to their arsenal. I'm glad they have support.

However, this move is all too similar to the dual throttle issue that cropped up after the AFM went into effect. You "fixed" something for the HOTAS folks, but the standard kb/m and controller folks had to find their own work around for AWHILE.

I would love to see the old throttle return as an option for the players that would like it. I would certain leave the new throttle in the closet forever if I had it back, just like I've left the AFM forever unused.

To be clear I've sunk 1300+ hours into this game and a few hundred in the game, server rentals, community donations, etc. This game is a cult and I still love it, but everyone should be allowed to play it the way that most appeals to them. I applauded you all for leaving the SFM for helicopters in game as well as add the AFM. That was one of the best moves I've seen a developer do. I'd just like to see the same here for those that really aren't fans of the new throttle.

• Like 3

Ive set my throttle higher to q and the other plane keys like arma 2. i like it that way,

On 29.4.2017 at 0:32 AM, oukej said:

One was seeing how people kept a finger on the Shift key all the time when flying.

But +1 for that posts

I would love to see an option to revert the throttle back as well. I also remember seeing something about the new throttle being optional. Typical BIS I guess.

And why is that? Perhaps the splash screen I read was just worded poorly. I don't see why it couldn't be made an option. You did it with the AFM.

The simple fact of the matter is you tried to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. Sure plenty of people fly with expensive HOTAS setups and the new 0-100 throttle is a welcome addition to their arsenal. I'm glad they have support.

However, this move is all too similar to the dual throttle issue that cropped up after the AFM went into effect. You "fixed" something for the HOTAS folks, but the standard kb/m and controller folks had to find their own work around for AWHILE.

I would love to see the old throttle return as an option for the players that would like it. I would certain leave the new throttle in the closet forever if I had it back, just like I've left the AFM forever unused.

To be clear I've sunk 1300+ hours into this game and a few hundred in the game, server rentals, community donations, etc. This game is a cult and I still love it, but 

• Like 1

Am I the only one experiencing planes accelerating on their own?

1. Go to MP editor
  2. Place plane on the ground
  3. Start engine
  4. Hit esc to go into menu
  5. Watch plane accelerate on its own

This also happens in hosted MP games or on dedi.

Ticket.

Cheers

• Like 2

So they gave us an options to use either advance flight model for helis or normal why can't we have same options with jets and vtol aircraft.  I do not own a hotas set up i use a mouse and keyboard for controls if you wanna give people with setups advanced controls fine but at current state it is unplayable.  You can not fine tune throttle with keyboard keys.  I hope we can get an option and if not why would i wanna pay for more jets and not able to enjoy fly them.

• Like 2

Am I the only one experiencing planes accelerating on their own?

1. Go to MP editor
  2. Place plane on the ground
  3. Start engine
  4. Hit esc to go into menu
  5. Watch plane accelerate on its own

This also happens in hosted MP games or on dedi.

Ticket.

Cheers

That was one of the first things I noticed when I jumped into the black wasp and was messing with keybinds haha I thought I was just doing something wrong XD

Before the update I mastered how to fly the X'ian, and had an amazing time flying it. Same with the blackfish. But since the new update, i have continuously struggled to taxi, take off and land the Vtols. I fly with a keyboard and mouse and think it would just be a simple idea to have the two options, and change them around. I love the feel for the new update in the jets. But Im required to fly Vtols a lot, and its just not what im used to. Im all for learning to fly in new ways, but its a completely different feel to the aircraft.  

• Like 2