Sign in to follow this  
bakimaster91

Attack Helicopters FCS and stabilised turrets

Hi everyone!

My question is: will we get sometime in the future a patch containing FCS and stabilised turrets for attack choppers ? Did DEVs say anything about it recently?

In terms of FCS I am mainly speaking about automatic elevation change of turret cannons basing on laser designation. I suppose that nowadays gunners of attack choppers do not use manual  elevation as it is in ArmA now :P

Stabilised turrets - I am speaking of something similar to TGP tracking and ground stabilisation, this is really needed as it's really hard now to shoot anything accurately while flying... If You watch videos of apache gunnery from Iraq it is clear that the stabilisation system is used...

What do You think about it??

Cheers ! :D

BIS devs have said that tank-like FCS and stabilized turrets don't work together. It's been tried on Blackfish, but it's either one or the other. I'd go with stabilized turrets and either manual ranging or CCIP.

• Like 1

Oh I see. However, to clarify I am not talking about any lead prediction like in tanks but lasing only. I'd go with stabilised turrets as well. Since yesterday I ve been watching more apache gunnery videos and I have seen that the range is measured constantly and displayed on TADS. I don't know if the gunner has to click any button to adjust cannon elevation to the displayed range or is it automatic. Maybe in the game it should be automatic constant ranging as it is now and as it is in TGP but only the cannon elevation should auto adjust constantly to the measured range?? and I don't mean locking targets with TAB and the game turns from manual ranging into AUTO as it was in tanks... it should be done without any locking of targets...

Yeah turrets like the new tgp would be awesome! The gun then should be manually ranged and the helicopter armed with a laser like planes are, that the gun can lock onto for auto ranging. Bakimaster91 remember those clips are only a few minutes long at a time and the laser is not constantly on, but when it is on it contantly updates range to where TADS is looking. The gunner the has to select auto range for the gun to get its ranging from the laser otherwise the rounds will go to the last imputed/default range. 

• Like 1

Manual ranging does not allow lateral movement compensation, which is automatic (and very useful while circling around a target). I would suggest adding a laser and "auto-locking" the cannon on it for more precision. This is standard practice for all choppers with optronics today. Same thing would solve the V-44/AC-130 dilemma

• Like 1

On 28.04.2017 at 5:21 PM, KiTooN said:

Manual ranging does not allow lateral movement compensation, which is automatic (and very useful while circling around a target). I would suggest adding a laser and "auto-locking" the cannon on it for more precision. This is standard practice for all choppers with optronics today. Same thing would solve the V-44/AC-130 dilemma

Exactly man, I've just read Your reply - that is very true. There should be something similar to TGP's laser locking, the only difference being the auto-elevated cannon. I think that is the way to go and suppose it is doable for DEVs :) Thanks to this the stabilisation system would simply work as You wrote. I know that ArmA is not a total simulator, however in my opinion manual ranging or the CCIP is just wrong and I hope - temporary, as it is not too effective + I have not heard about such solution in any gunship turret.

11 hours ago, bakimaster91 said:

Exactly man, I've just read Your reply - that is very true. There should be something similar to TGP's laser locking, the only difference being the auto-elevated cannon. I think that is the way to go and suppose it is doable for DEVs :) Thanks to this the stabilisation system would simply work as You wrote. I know that ArmA is not a total simulator, however in my opinion manual ranging or the CCIP is just wrong and I hope - temporary, as it is not too effective + I have not heard about such solution in any gunship turret.

The V-44X in Dev Branch has a laser designator for the co-pilot.  With a bit of team work the Co-Pilot can lase targets and then gunners can zero in on the laser target for deadly serious accuracy.  With the changes they've made for this particular aircraft it will definitely be death with wings.

• Like 1