Drifter

[Terrain] Fort Jackson Training Grounds - Full Release v1.0

Fort Jackson, South Carolina

I have finally got my terrain builder working! I can finally continue my progress on my terrains!

About this project:
This terrain is based on Fort Jackson training grounds. This terrain will be a bit off from real world as it is intended and built for ArmA units and people looking for a training ground with ranges that are built according to real satellite imagery. The buildings and compounds will be different and changed, roads, foliage and geographical features will be as accurate as I can get them. There are a LOT of empty areas and ranges as you may notice when exploring, this is done on purpose for individuals and units to build their own training areas.

This terrain will be modified and not resemble the real world terrain 100% and is not meant to look pretty, it is purely made for the unit I am currently in!

This terrain is intended for individuals or groups to use as a training ground.

Required Addons:

None

Release State:

v1.1

Features:

• Main spawn area.
  • Accurate tree lines.
  • Multiple ranges (Both built and empty for custom ranges).
  • Partially built MOUT area (Partially built on purpose for custom MOUT layouts).
  • Airport.
  • EOD area.
  • Ordnance and Heavy Weapons range (Mortars, vehicles, static weapons, etc).

Fort Jackson Photo Gallery (NOTE: The images in the gallery are from when this terrain was Work in Progress):

Download V1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwO9rIv0F5O4clRjQUxzVUpJamM/view?usp=sharing

Please report back any issues about this terrain, thank you.

• Like 8

Wow! I never would have thought to see this particular terrain done. Even though I have some not so great memories of that place, I'm going to have to download and take a look at it. I attended Basic Training there in 1984 and it was not a fun place. One question, does it have "Drag Ass Hill" in it? Anyone that spent some time there will remember it, assuming the hill is still there. After running a few miles in full combat gear, it was very daunting facing that steep bitch, knowing that you had to run up it, even if you were on your hands and knees half way and then keep on going! Oh the Horror!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, scimitar said:

Wow! I never would have thought to see this particular terrain done. Even though I have some not so great memories of that place, I'm going to have to download and take a look at it. I attended Basic Training there in 1984 and it was not a fun place. One question, does it have "Drag Ass Hill" in it? Anyone that spent some time there will remember it, assuming the hill is still there. After running a few miles in full combat gear, it was very daunting facing that steep bitch, knowing that you had to run up it, even if you were on your hands and knees half way and then keep on going! Oh the Horror!

Hey Scimitar, since I have 0 real world military experience I have no idea where or what "Drag Ass Hill" is. As I made this terrain with little information I can gather through google maps. I also made this terrain for the ArmA unit I am in and a few "Unrealistic" terrain feature are or will be added. Such as mountains that don't actually exist in this area.

Thank you for taking interest in the terrain!

• Like 1

Definitely not hot and shitty enough but how do you simulate that in a game?

Drag Ass Hill was a terrain feature on the dirt road that led to the ranges. Going to the ranges, you ran down the hill and then the ranges were a few miles away. On the return trip from the ranges, you ran up the hill and then continued on to the barracks. A typical range day went like this

After breakfast you would dress in full combat gear (uniform, boots, helmet, web gear, ruck sack, etc.) with your ruck packed with a range of items, including a pair of running shoes. Then you would go to the armory and draw your weapon and report to formation. From our location it was about a mile to the road going to the ranges and we would run there and then down Drag Ass Hill and continue a few more miles to whichever range we were going to (btw, the ranges were named after D-Day beaches, Omaha, Utah, etc.). Getting to the range was a 3-4 mile run and after we got there we would fall out and put on our PT attire, which consisted of BDU pants, t-shirt and running shoes. We would form up and then run another 2-3 miles for PT. I guess the run there didn't count as PT. We would then shoot all day until 4pm or so and run back from the ranges. After already running for 2-3 miles, we would be faced with Drag Ass Hill and once we crested it, it was another mile or so to the barracks.

I was there in April and May in A-9-2 (A Co, 9th Bn, 2nd Training Bde) and it was a hot and miserable place with lots of sand (hard as Hell to run in) and biting sand fleas and mosquitos. Below is a picture of Drag Ass Hill. It doesn't look so formidable at first glance but it's way steeper than it looks, especially after a long run just to get to it. It's also mentioned on the following pages:

http://m14forum.com/army/77474-tale-my-first-day-tank-hill.html

https://gijules.com/2011/03/11/drag-ass-hill-has-brothers-plural/

http://www.legiontown.org/basictraining/3164/drag-hill

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/17560/Brutality-in-Army-BCT

dragasshill_zpswsorrrsk.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scimitar said:

Definitely not hot and shitty enough but how do you simulate that in a game?

Drag Ass Hill was a terrain feature on the dirt road that led to the ranges. Going to the ranges, you ran down the hill and then the ranges were a few miles away. On the return trip from the ranges, you ran up the hill and then continued on to the barracks. A typical range day went like this

After breakfast you would dress in full combat gear (uniform, boots, helmet, web gear, ruck sack, etc.) with your ruck packed with a range of items, including a pair of running shoes. Then you would go to the armory and draw your weapon and report to formation. From our location it was about a mile to the road going to the ranges and we would run there and then down Drag Ass Hill and continue a few more miles to whichever range we were going to (btw, the ranges were named after D-Day beaches, Omaha, Utah, etc.). Getting to the range was a 3-4 mile run and after we got there we would fall out and put on our PT attire, which consisted of BDU pants, t-shirt and running shoes. We would form up and then run another 2-3 miles for PT. I guess the run there didn't count as PT. We would then shoot all day until 4pm or so and run back from the ranges. After already running for 2-3 miles, we would be faced with Drag Ass Hill and once we crested it, it was another mile or so to the barracks.

I was there in April and May in A-9-2 (A Co, 9th Bn, 2nd Training Bde) and it was a hot and miserable place with lots of sand (hard as Hell to run in) and biting sand fleas and mosquitos. Below is a picture of Drag Ass Hill. It doesn't look so formidable at first glance but it's way steeper than it looks, especially after a long run just to get to it. It's also mentioned on the following pages:

Haha, good story and thanks for the images. Sadly I cannot get the terrain anymore shitty unless a complete overhaul, but non the less hope you are enjoying it so far.

• Like 3

Well, I don't see how you can simulate a shitty environment but I appreciate the effort. :) I think It's kind of like running in sand. Has anyone ever made a terrain where you slow down and lose stamina when traversing sandy surfaces? I don't recall any and even if they exist, we still wouldn't "feel" the effort that it requires.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to try out the terrain yet but I hope to get a chance this weekend. I really want to see if it brings back any old memories!

42 minutes ago, mannulus said:

I went to Jackson in 2013. Does this map have fire ants everywhere?

Isn't that an ACE option?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rich_R said:

Isn't that an ACE option?

Most likely.

New module called ACE_Fire_Ants. If you go prone in sand for too long you will be eaten alive by U.S Army trained fire ants.

• Like 1

with the images you have loaded does this map need to be made by every unit as when i go on the ranges there is nothing there 

3 minutes ago, michael poole said:

with the images you have loaded does this map need to be made by every unit as when i go on the ranges there is nothing there 

Some ranges are built and all that is needed to be placed are targets, other ranges that are empty are ones for units and people to build their own custom ranges.

• Like 1

o well looking at the images and looking at the map i download V1.1 it looks very messy as there isnt anything in the map what so ever mate sorry to say was looking forward to using this 

3 minutes ago, michael poole said:

o well looking at the images and looking at the map i download V1.1 it looks very messy as there isnt anything in the map what so ever mate sorry to say was looking forward to using this 

Well as I said, its not mean't for beauty and is specifically mean't for training purposes for units looking for a wide variety of training space for custom built areas. Sorry this terrain doesn't fit your needs.

Thank you for reviewing.

• Like 1

My personal recommendation from my time there is to add trees. Lots of trees. Anything to the East of Fort Jackson was pure wildlands. Some areas were so thick with trees and underbrush you could not enter it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mannulus said:

My personal recommendation from my time there is to add trees. Lots of trees. Anything to the East of Fort Jackson was pure wildlands. Some areas were so thick with trees and underbrush you could not enter it.

Yeah, I was looking at some images, but another thing I was keeping in mind was frames. I am working on a new version with some areas with dense treelines and some more hilly/mountainous terrain for small ftx's in those type of environments.

• Like 2

I have to agree about the trees. Things may have changed but when I was there, all of the ranges (at least the ones we used) had thick treelines behind them. At times it made it very hard to spot a popup target beyond 200 meters because the targets were a dark green and they easily blended in with the treelines.