doc. caliban

PCML misslile flies along the ground?

I'm finding that after locking on and firing at a vehicle, the missile flies just barely above the ground on the way to the target, and often hits things on its way.

I sure hope they don't work that way IRL!

Am I doing something wrong, or are they broken?

-Doc

21 hours ago, doc. caliban said:

I'm finding that after locking on and firing at a vehicle, the missile flies just barely above the ground on the way to the target, and often hits things on its way.

I sure hope they don't work that way IRL!

Am I doing something wrong, or are they broken?

-Doc

That's called Direct Attack mode and is actually is how they can work IRL.  I think in the future, BI might implement Top-down mode with their new launcher stuff, but for now AFAIK, the only way to get top-down mode is with ACE.

26 minutes ago, Savage_Donkey said:

That's called Direct Attack mode and is actually is how they can work IRL.  I think in the future, BI might implement Top-down mode with their new launcher stuff, but for now AFAIK, the only way to get top-down mode is with ACE.

That's what I was thinking in regards to the Top attack, but with ACE I only see it as an option with the Titan Compact.  The PCML still behaves the same as always other than it's disposable with ACE.  The ACE documentation does imply that the PCML should have the switchable attack modes, but it does not seem to be the case.

The issue I have is that it doesn't seem like a direct flight.  It literally skims so close to the ground that it partially vanishes into the ground geometry at times on it's way there.  So if you lock on a vehicle that is on the other side of a low stone wall, get a lock on the center of the target and fire, the missile will often belly-fly right into that little wall.    I'd think it would fly more or less directly out of the launcher and at the target without trimming the grass on the way.  Oh well.  We're sticking with the Titan Compacts and RPG42's for the most part.