[evo] dan

[EVO] Dan's Small Objects Mod (Releases)

I've been wanting to make a mod that adds some small/unusual objects/vehicles to Arma since Arma 2, but I've never really had the time or more importantly the talent to make anything for the game. Hopefully i'll get around to making some other objects (i'll take some requests as to what people want with regards logistical items - remember I'm a noob at modelling and texturing). My focus has been on learning how to make logistical objects as I feel these are lacking within Arma itself, and now that Arma is starting to lend itself to it (ViV, PhysX etc) rather than having to mod it in with scripts.

I've been working on learning how to mod within Arma 3 and finally have made something that i'm happy to release to the community. I'll probably add more reskins of the object in future releases alongside some more objects hopefully as and when I get time to make them.

Anyway, here is the first release package - yes its small, but I think it will help me to gather feedback from the community on how to improve and if logistical objects are worth continuing to make. The barrel contains 800 units of fuel which will refuel the Huron about 60%. These barrels are also explosive if you shoot at them and can be slingloaded around via a Littlebird. The barrels can be found in Things>Small Items.

Armaholic:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32685

Download from Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfjuvzkq7bo2gev/Dan_Small_Objects_Mod.rar?dl=0

Subscribe on Steam Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911888043

Included in the package is:

- A single barrel object which comes in 8 different skins.

- Signed server keys.

• Like 3

Does this have hiddenTextures ? so we can re-skin it?

1 hour ago, M1ke_SK said:

Does this have hiddenTextures ? so we can re-skin it?

yes. CAMO_LOD1 should work. I'd be interested to see you re skin. The UV map is in the dropbox and the armaholic link.

@foxhound. Thanks for the link, ill added it to the first post when I'm back qt a proper pc later.

39 minutes ago, Sh0rty said:

will it be compatible with ACE 3 refuel system?

Not at the moment at least as I don't use ACE and am not familiar with configs for it. It may be something ill add eventually but I'm away with work during the week so don't have much time for editing.

This is cool, thanks!

- Maybe delete the barrel right after the explosion instead of when the fire quits.  It seems like that would be more realistic.

- Rename them from "Drum" to "Barrel" for consistency and easy of finding them via search, which some folks do for speed.

- Small change in the description that they are in Things > Objects (Small).    I didn't find them in search, then didn't see "Small" in objects so I thought for a few minutes that the mod hadn't loaded.  Small stuff.

Thanks again for the mod though ... perfect timing for my mission tonight.

-Doc

• Like 1

Your concept for a small objects logistics mod is great! The barrel works exactly as advertised, though it's a 55-gallon barrel/drum (you say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to? :D ) and technically 55 gallons are ~200 L (208.198 to be precise, if anyone cares). Shh, it's REALLY high-octane..? >.>

Some immediately obvious extensions of your idea would be other fuel containers, e.g. the jerry can. More broadly, I wonder if it is possible to config one of the smaller equipment bins to have a small amount of vehicle ammo, to resupply 500-1000 rounds of MG ammo, for instance.

@Sh0rty: I think the ACE portion should be fairly straightforward (said as a humble mission scripter and not a config/etc modder):

https://ace3mod.com/wiki/framework/refuel-framework.html#22-make-a-jerry-can

Though I think that would entail configuring a separate ACE barrel object with ACE fuel and Dan's explosion effect. If the same barrel object had both ACE fuel and vanilla fuel, there'd be two separate fuel values in one object.

BTW, johnnyboy has a most excellent action-movie exploding barrel script, but no fuel attached. Yours is a more plausible/realistic alternative. And his script-plus-mission-files is not a convenient config-level object in a mod. ;) Either way, it's good to have more options for functional things that go boom!

P.S. I don't need anything, just brainstorming for fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dakaodo said:

Your concept for a small objects logistics mod is great! The barrel works exactly as advertised, though it's a 55-gallon barrel/drum (you say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to? :D ) and technically 55 gallons are ~200 L (208.198 to be precise, if anyone cares). Shh, it's REALLY high-octane..? >.>

Some immediately obvious extensions of your idea would be other fuel containers, e.g. the jerry can. More broadly, I wonder if it is possible to config one of the smaller equipment bins to have a small amount of vehicle ammo, to resupply 500-1000 rounds of MG ammo, for instance.

@Sh0rty: I think the ACE portion should be fairly straightforward (said as a humble mission scripter and not a config/etc modder):

https://ace3mod.com/wiki/framework/refuel-framework.html#22-make-a-jerry-can

Though I think that would entail configuring a separate ACE barrel object with ACE fuel and Dan's explosion effect. If the same barrel object had both ACE fuel and vanilla fuel, there'd be two separate fuel values in one object.

BTW, johnnyboy has a most excellent action-movie exploding barrel script, but no fuel attached. Yours is a more plausible/realistic alternative. And his script-plus-mission-files is not a convenient config-level object in a mod. ;) Either way, it's good to have more options for functional things that go boom!

P.S. I don't need anything, just brainstorming for fun.

some good ideas there. I had the idea of creating a fuel bowser but it wouldn't be towable but you could lift it at least.

I don't think arma uses gallons for fuel. I think its just an arbitrary amount as the huron seems to fill the same amount as the little bird. I can also adjust the value down a bit as I thought it was to low tbh.

its a bank holiday weekend here this weekend and I've got nothing planned other than Sunday so ill have a play with the effects a bit more and see if I get an other models made.

I'll have a look at the ace config stuff better when I get back home on Friday to see what it entails. I can always release it as a separate config and pbo if needs be.

I think it should be possible to add ammo filling ability as this is what some of the i came boxes already do. I'll probably have a look at making some objects for it at some point.

From what I've seen, Arma uses liters and kg. Certainly ACE uses liters for fuel. I have a scripted 55-gal barrel (Land_MetalBarrel_F) that I used ACE functions to add 200 units of fuel to (plus Carry and Load, though perhaps Drag would be more realistic than Carry; I set a barrel to occupy 2 cargo spaces). It took about 3 barrels to fill an empty HEMTT via ACE, which in real life has a 583 L capacity fuel tank. Haven't field-checked fuel capacities on more vics b/c I'm too busy having fun blowing up everyone's barrels. :P

• Like 1

According to biki fuelCapacity value has nothing to do with litres. Seems to just be an arbitrary value.

• Like 1

Long time since I last posted on this thread. My HDD died and I went both on holiday and away with work so I've had to start from scratch again. I've made the barrel and managed to find an old config for it but I did lose the mission. I suppose i'll have to make a new one at some point when I have a few more objects to use in it.

We now have the "Schnell" fuel company as one of the logos I am going to use. They just have their name printed on the barrels for now, but I may make a logo if I can be bothered to do one.

However, it isn't all bad as I've been able to put some new skills I've learnt from Burnes's youtube tutorials to use.

Anyway, heres the new release with 8 different variants inside. If anyone wants a copy of the blank textures so you can reskin, feel free to ask. I've put the updated link in the first post.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfjuvzkq7bo2gev/Dan_Small_Objects_Mod.rar?dl=0

• Like 1