Sign in to follow this  
gonzai

L3DT Terrain Import Arma 3 Terrain Builder ?

How to open L3DT Terrain in the Arma 3 Terrain Builder?

By exporting and saving your different layers from L3DT :

- the heightfield as ".asc"

- the attributes, texture (and terrain normals if you use them) as ".png"

Then import them into terrain builder into the appropriate layers (or refresh from scource, if you already have those layers).

• Like 1

Use .bmp instead of .png, as its alot quicker

• Like 2

For the height field i would recommend using the .xyz and the terrain normals to be imported into terrain builder. 

3 hours ago, Torchgodz said:

For the height field i would recommend using the .xyz and the terrain normals to be imported into terrain builder. 

.asc and .xyz will work, .xyz though contains extra info not used by TB and can cause issues, if it works then yeah great, if not stick with .asc

Ok cool thanks for the info Richie.  I am having a problem getting the map into game maybe this is whats stopping me.  Guess i will give it a shot.

2 hours ago, Torchgodz said:

Ok cool thanks for the info Richie.  I am having a problem getting the map into game maybe this is whats stopping me.  Guess i will give it a shot.

What problems ? more info and we can help.

It was a config issue but i figured it out and got my map into game. Now its time to build it out. The Fun Part.

I'm trying to import a real world heightmap from L3DT to TB, in .asc format, but TB refuses to open it, saying: Zone of imported data is too far from reference zone. Can anyone overcome this, otherwise, L3dt is pretty much useless.

Try opening the exported .asc-file from L3DT with a texteditor and adjust line 3-4 like this:

xllcorner     200000.000000
yllcorner     0.000000

This should help importing that file to TB and beeing in the right zone.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 2:25 PM, Cosmo_D41 said:

Try opening the exported .asc-file from L3DT with a texteditor and adjust line 3-4 like this:

xllcorner     200000.000000
yllcorner     0.000000

This should help importing that file to TB and beeing in the right zone.

Thanks, I read somewhere that this is the universal settings to be able to make roads. Should I do the same to any map imported into TB, regardless if it was edited in L3DT or not?

9 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

Thanks, I read somewhere that this is the universal settings to be able to make roads. Should I do the same to any map imported into TB, regardless if it was edited in L3DT or not?

Yep, you must always use them coords!

If your doing real world data, make sure you check out the PMC wiki. Don't going following people like JAF on youtube who get it all wrong

Once you did this and export your heightmap from TB as an .asc-file to update your satmap in L3DT or something, you wont have to do it again. It saves thoses coordinates.
It only has to be done once on the first time, when that heightmap comes from L3DT.