I have a couple of gripes.

Thrust vectoring: While it does improve overall maneuverability, the most dramatic effect it adds is the ability to maneuver while in a stall condition, that is, with no airflow over the control surfaces. Thrust vectoring allows the F-22 to pitch and roll, and the T-50, with its additional axis, to pitch, roll, and yaw in a complete stall.

Radar animation: The Black Wasp's radar display on it's MFD wouldn't really be accurate. An AESA, like what you'd find in multiple modern combat aircraft, is able to scan much faster, and nearly continuously, as it is a solid state device and doesn't have to physically move the radar antenna in the nose.

Range: The range is almost laughable. I know it's probably an engine limitation or scope of the game thing, somewhere back there, but 16 km? It still wouldn't be plausible, but at least doubling that, and corresponding air detection ranges, stealth included, for the fighters and AA vehicles, would be a step in the right direction. Adding proportional range to the MRAAMs wouldn't hurt, either. Aesthetically, it takes too long to lock on to a stealth fighter flying right at you, even if you know where they are from their radar. The stealth approach should be to close to an advantageous position before lighting one's target up, not charging right up their gun barrels, radar blazing, relying on your stealth to shield you until you and they are close enough to exchange missiles.

RWR tracking: Incoming radio sources need to have HUD elements. This leads me to my next suggestion:

Radar display: The standard sensor display needs an angular elevation indicator for any target, even incoming radio waves. Top down doesn't quite cut it by itself. You also might consider an option to have the readout distance be absolute. For example, if I was 16 km. over someone vs. 16 km. away from them, if they were in the same direction, they'd show up on the display at 16 km out in whatever direction.

Black Wasp's gunsight: It's backwards, you should be putting the circle on the target instead of the whiskey mark (I think? The whiskey mark is not great as a crosshairs) on the circle.

@WurschtBanane@crewt For the individual Cheetah/Tigris self-propelled anti-air gun (SPAAG) versus jets in the context of KOTH there's two basic routes for rebalancing, in-mission scripting as KOTH already does and config modding which goes further but forces an external download (see KOTH 1944). A scripter can for example remove a jet's laser marker, thereby forcing the pilot to track/lock onto an external laser spot, while a config mod would be needed to change the range at which the jet or a laser-guided weapon can detect/track/lock onto laser spots and/or to augment certain properties of the SPAAGs and their "Titan Missiles" such as what I did.

On the scripting side of things, we've also just gained new sensor scripting commands on dev branch, so there's new possibilities for rebalancing-by-scripter.

On 5/24/2017 at 8:27 AM, R0adki11 said:

I see no need to the game to be balanced, it should be upto the mission designers to balance the mission. 

The "balancing" in the game mechanics should be like in the real world. AA should have a realistic load of AAM, reloading and support units are always attached to AA units, so reloading will balancing the quantity.

We should not have an artificial balancing in the game/SIM.

just my 2C

• Like 1

Recommend we steer subject input other than JETS DLC to different threads...keep this one for JETS DLC official feedback.  All we know right now is that the Helicopter and VTOL problems came with the update that released JETS DLC...I recommend BIS look into that!

AV8R

On 2017-5-18 at 1:21 PM, Tweestrijd said:

First off i'd like to say i am loving the new content and all the improvements made.

I do have a few questions:

1) Is the 'throttle % indicator' in the UI ever coming to helicopters? I was very glad to see this indicator implemented for jets but i had been hoping it would also be used for helicopters, was it a deliberate move not to use it for helicopters or was this just an oversight? I fly helicopters a lot and i use a H.O.T.A.S setup, i think anyone who uses analogue throttle would greatly enjoy being able to see just how much throttle they are using at any given time. This wouldn't even mean changing the way throttle inputs are handled like the changes made to plane throttle where they are made 'analogue' even for keyboard users, the simple addition of the throttle % indicator in the UI would suffice. 

2) In the jets showcase there is mention of a function in one of the 'hints'. The third point in the 'Targeting camera' hint screen says: "To re-center camera to boresight or marked target press undefined".  I have looked at every single control input and i can't seem to find this function/keybind, is this an oversight? [Solved: Center look - under View controls.]

3) Is there a chance that the wheelbrakes for planes will be seperated from the 'decrease throttle' input just like they where for helicopters in AFM? It would make life a lot easier and operations more realistic if pilots would have control over their wheel brakes just like they do over their airbrakes.

4) Was the keybinding for collision lights left out intentionally or was this an oversight? I use collision lights extensively when flying nighttime operations with multiple vehicles and the option to switch the collision lights on/off without having to go back to my mouse and use the scroll menu would be a real improvement. Seeing as most everything is already bindable it seems odd to leave out the collision lights.

5) Is there a chance that the 'open/close ramp' action might also be added as a keybinding?

6) Is there a chance of control profiles being implemented, so that you can save and load your keybindings? I'm having to save the files from my user profile folders as backups for when my H.O.T.A.S. setup isn't recognized anymore (at random) and i have to rebind all my keys manually, which happens more than i would like.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Most of these questions have gone unanswered, so i'll just ask them again. :)

I have to strongly agree with AV8R.  I have spent three days trying to master the VTOL with the new DLC changes.  Frankly it is a Kabuki dance.  That makes them unfit for combat.  In fairness I fly with sticks, so it might be fine for those who us buttons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yasotay said:

I have to strongly agree with AV8R.  I have spent three days trying to master the VTOL with the new DLC changes.  Frankly it is a Kabuki dance.  That makes them unfit for combat.  In fairness I fly with sticks, so it might be fine for those who us buttons.

I fly with an X-52 HOTAS and rudder pedals.  Watch my below video and try out the linked mission to practice.  With a bit of practice you'll be flying the VTOLs doing all sorts of crazy aerobatics. :)

• Like 1

Really unhappy with the flight model on the two "fifth-generation" planes. The PAK-FA mod in my mind handles more like a "fifth-generation" aircraft, with its maneuverability at slower speeds, thrust, stall conditions etc...

5 hours ago, yasotay said:

I too fly with sticks only, and I fly only in 1st person except when landing helicopters in tight LZs due to the lack of 3D Situational Awareness and no crew members to assist in the tail boom clearance and touchdown height callout.

As for the bonus content, I'm really hoping that BIS adds the wire animation capability and finishes the working elevators and hangar deck.  The entire package is great...anyone check out the soundtrack addtions yet?  4 new tunes!

1 hour ago, AV8R_Six said:

Imperator - thanks for the video, it does provide some great insights.  However, while I have not flown a Thrust Vector rotor-craft (i.e. VTOL other than helicopter) I have had the privilege of flying the simulators for every tilt rotor out there.  Zero thrust at zero degrees on the prop-rotors is like two freight trains hitting each other.  You slow down REALLY fast.  If you watch video of the MV-22 you will see that they always land with full down flaps.  They do this because it; a. slows them down, b. reduces downwash on the wing, and c. reduces the nose up pitching at slow speeds.  Flaps seem to have no effect here and you have to switch vector mode to use them.  At somewhere about 70 knots most tilt- rotor aircraft transitions from aircraft flight control algorithms to those of rotor-craft, that is why they have satisfactory yaw rates at low speed because they use rotor tilt like helicopters at that point. Prop-Rotors set to 90 degrees and zero pitch (no power), full flaps, 160 knots indicated and 5 degrees nose high causes a climb in the approach?  Not really.  Now I was flying the V-44X, so maybe it has different characteristics, however I have had the same results flying the CV-22 in the USAF mod and in a tilt-rotor mod in development.

In fairness to BIS, this is a infantry sim that has moved into other areas.  The aero-modeling is great for basic flight stuff, but jumping into thrust vector is some pretty freaky stuff that even NASA is still working on (really).  I am sure that it will get sorted out in time (they always seem to do that thank you), but still think there is work to be done here.

Edited by yasotay
  • Like 1

Where can I find the ordnance carts in the editor as seen in the Jets DLC trailer? (See links for reference, for some reason I can't insert image from URL). Is this a mod perhaps? And if so, isn't it misleading to showcase it in an official DLC trailer?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47GIheAJYYSd2taWE1XVTBwTUh2WFhpVEFUV1Q1NTRvNWFv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47GIheAJYYSWTNmbVNSTll6aV9LbXBHVmw2QkV5SFRZV0Fz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47GIheAJYYSNXlaUDlNVWVmY0RISzczeGdzcXh2aTBSOEdB/view?usp=sharing

8 minutes ago, hascoman said:

Where can I find the ordnance carts in the editor as seen in the Jets DLC trailer? (See links for reference, for some reason I can't insert image from URL). Is this a mod perhaps? And if so, isn't it misleading to showcase it in an official DLC trailer?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47GIheAJYYSd2taWE1XVTBwTUh2WFhpVEFUV1Q1NTRvNWFv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47GIheAJYYSWTNmbVNSTll6aV9LbXBHVmw2QkV5SFRZV0Fz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47GIheAJYYSNXlaUDlNVWVmY0RISzczeGdzcXh2aTBSOEdB/view?usp=sharing

They didn't make it into the game. BIS mentioned that they will consider to add them at a later point.

1 minute ago, R3vo said:

They didn't make it into the game. BIS mentioned that they will consider to add them at a later point.

Too bad, hopefully they will be added later then!

5 hours ago, R3vo said:

did the devs also say sth. about some suitable mounts for the new AA turrets?

they look great on the carrier, but for ground based point defense, we would need some support frame / vehicle to make them look believable.

Overall I like the new Jets DLC, it's in "Okay" category, not impressive but still good enough. One thing that is bugging me is, that Aircraft canopy is too clean/transparent and texture (scratches and reflection) can only been seen sometime, most of time on F/A-181 looks like canopy is not there, little bit less transparent texture would be nice.

• Like 1

I think Dslyecxi did a great tutorial!

• Like 1

Can't Even Play It

It loads up, but in the first mission inside the carrier staring at the officer, I can't move. I can turn my head, I can zoom, I can practically use all other controls except move. The character won't move. After about a minute the mission fails and the same thing happens when it restarts. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled Arma3 but the same thing happens. Any ideas what could be causing this? What would I need to post here to trouble shoot this?

9 hours ago, JerryAtricks said:

Can't Even Play It

It loads up, but in the first mission inside the carrier staring at the officer, I can't move. I can turn my head, I can zoom, I can practically use all other controls except move. The character won't move. After about a minute the mission fails and the same thing happens when it restarts. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled Arma3 but the same thing happens. Any ideas what could be causing this? What would I need to post here to trouble shoot this?

What accessories are you using?  Is it only keyboard+mouse or is there more?  Are you able to move your characters normally outside of this mission?

10 hours ago, JerryAtricks said:

Can't Even Play It

24 minutes ago, nodunit said:

What accessories are you using?  Is it only keyboard+mouse or is there more?  Are you able to move your characters normally outside of this mission?

I've replayed the showcase today (dev branch). I've noticed the same behavior, but I can move after the guy giving you the briefing stops talking.

Keyboard and mouse only. I typically run Exile and I can play fine. But in Jets I cannot move and the guy doesn't talk either. I figured that's what might be happening there, a briefing, but he doesn't talk. I can hear jets and a helicopter flying outside, but there is no speech audio and his lips aren't moving.

On 4.6.2017 at 9:03 AM, JerryAtricks said:

Can't Even Play It

Are you running any mods? If so try playing the scenario without mods loaded (I have a special preset in the launcher that loads no mods just for occasions like this).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JerryAtricks said:

Keyboard and mouse only. I typically run Exile and I can play fine. But in Jets I cannot move and the guy doesn't talk either. I figured that's what might be happening there, a briefing, but he doesn't talk. I can hear jets and a helicopter flying outside, but there is no speech audio and his lips aren't moving.

I would suggest not using Exile or any other mods. 

• Like 1

Would you two consider running arma 3 in pure vanilla, no mods activated on launch and see if it behaves the same?
We need to narrow down if this is a problem that snuck in at some point or if it is a mod conflict.

• Like 2

Wow... do I feel like an idiot now. LOL! A simple oversight on my part. Here's what happened in case anyone else happens to miss this.

I unloaded all mods from the mods section but didn't realize that Exile was still being loaded through the Parameters section. That's kind of redundant to have mods loading from two different places if you ask me. I do recall seeing the Exile screen loading up when I ran Arma even without the mod activated from the mods panel. Anyway, I unchecked Exile from the Parameters section, ran A3, loaded up Jets and now it works. 

Thanks guys. Sorry for the bonehead moment. :P

• Like 2