I am not 100% certain, but after multiple setups of different SAM sites (including one where all of the Centurions faced away from the target), I think it is reasonable to assume you are correct. I haven't conducted testing of them with their own radars off, though given how datalink seems to work, I think if you're trying to build a realistic SAM system then the launcher itself would need its own "radar," probably with a narrow FOV

Unfortunately I've been a bit short on time the past couple days so I can't experiment until later today or tomorrow

23 hours ago, Hvymtal said:

I am not 100% certain, but after multiple setups of different SAM sites (including one where all of the Centurions faced away from the target), I think it is reasonable to assume you are correct. I haven't conducted testing of them with their own radars off, though given how datalink seems to work, I think if you're trying to build a realistic SAM system then the launcher itself would need its own "radar," probably with a narrow FOV

Unfortunately I've been a bit short on time the past couple days so I can't experiment until later today or tomorrow

I've been trying this since you first mentioned this and i've not had the same results. Nothing else responded in the same way you described either. The data link won't let anything target or even be aware of the shared target(s) that i can see. If the Centurions somehow do though this could be great news for the development of the data link tech. 

Really? Are you sure Datalink is on for ALL of the AA Pieces? Not just the Centurion? I'm able to repeat my findings fairly consistently. Maybe bny dev build is sprinkled with pixie dust of the same kind that doesn't allow me to launch the sentinel

19 hours ago, Hvymtal said:

Really? Are you sure Datalink is on for ALL of the AA Pieces? Not just the Centurion? I'm able to repeat my findings fairly consistently. Maybe bny dev build is sprinkled with pixie dust of the same kind that doesn't allow me to launch the sentinel

Yeah i've been messing with it since it first hit dev branch. I can say with 110% certainty that the AI don't react in any capacity to data linked targets. I would like to see how your testing it. I did another quick test last night, 3 Cheetahs along the coast, 1 active 2 not, and a centurion 5km away with it facing away and slightly behind cover so that it had no LOS to targets. Aircraft dispatched the active site, but couldn't find the other 2 sites and just loitered at 4000m until it ran out of fuel. They also didn't pick up the centurion radar that was active and pointing away from them either. At no point did the centurion even twitch let alone turn to track and engage the targets. Also tried it with the active radar vehicle set to captive so that it was always on and same result. The data link seems to be good for giving players a heads up warning but thats about all so far, The data link also works for all vehicles that i can see, but only those with a sensor screens ie radar/rwr, can see the data targets. I'd like to see ground vehicles have their positions reported on the map/gps and possibly even the enemy positions too, and the system tied to radios for infantry use, if they can get the AI to use this info in any way.  The data link has a lot of potential for not only air operations but ground ones to. Hopefully at some point the data link will get some upgrades to the system to allow target sharing/hand off. 

I'm not sure if i'm missing something obvious, but are the BIM-9 (and similar IR-guided) missiles only able to lock onto air targets if active radar is switched on?

IRL a jet pilot is able to lock onto targets and launch them without radar guidance (though it can be used to assist in telling the missle where to point it's seeker head initially),

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hailstorm said:

I'm not sure if i'm missing something obvious, but are the BIM-9 (and similar IR-guided) missiles only able to lock onto air targets if active radar is switched on?

IRL a jet pilot is able to lock onto targets and launch them without radar guidance (though it can be used to assist in telling the missle where to point it's seeker head initially),

Radar shouldn't have an impact in real life especially since the primary target acquisition is IR (AKA Heat-Seeker) so the parameters for a good lock, should be Target Aspect Angle, Throttle Settings, Real-Time Accumulated Heat Signature, Aircraft Engine/Atmospheric Thermal Differential, and range right?

2 minutes ago, AV8R_Six said:

Yes, especially since the primary target acquisition is IR (AKA Heat-Seeker) so the parameters for a good lock, should be Target Aspect Angle, Throttle Settings, Heat Signature, Aircraft Engine/Atmospheric Thermal Differential, and range right?

More or less, yes. wIthout going into too much technically, it should be somewhat reasonable to assume in-game someone should be able to lock onto at least passive-detected air targets with heatseekers.

In my mind that gives the heatseekers a better gameplay role as a 'stealthy' short-range attack weapon, as opposed to just another aa missile that has to be locked like any other one. eg. a pilot might try to 'sneak up' on a target, but the opponent could get the jump on them and counter with a long-range radar missile shot. moments and tactics like that making battles a little more fluid in nature

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hailstorm said:

They are able to lock even with radar switched off.  Try the Lock target button instead of next target.

Also take a look at this

• Like 2

@ Hailstorm...
I like where you are headed...now if we could just get the "Growl" in our headset when the thermal seeker acquires a target and "FoxTWO!"  Splash one!

I have noticed in the Showcase Mission that off-angle aspect or in-close shots mostly go as expected with a wasted missile launch.  For me, the closure and turning rates and general situational awareness seems more arcade rather than in other sims like DCS.  But still, I think it's a grand improvement to ArmA!

Here's some interesting reading although I wouldn't treat everything within as the gospel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder

1 minute ago, venthorror said:

They are able to lock even with radar switched off.  Try the Lock target button instead of next target.

Also take a look at this

And with the Helmet Mounted Cueing System, you can freelook over to the target outside of missile seeker parameters and "Acquire" the target manually...I use the Lock Target either right mouse wheel or custom lock button on my X52 while using head-tracking to move...seems to work most of the time.  But I still have to wait for full lock in the TD box and it would be nice if a limiter was there so you couldn't fire a weapon until you had tracking confirmation.

Flight Direction Indicator in Gryphon is still reversed T124697

Flight Direction Indicator in Black wasp is also reversed... (making bug ticket soon)

Enemy AI jets again seem to try and "run away" from a fight.

They even go so far as to climb up to the ceiling and stall. Can anyone confirm?

:float:Radar range, countermeasures and flight model does seem more satisfying. (satisfying at least until I find some other bug... it's in my nature)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, snoops_213 said:

Yeah i've been messing with it since it first hit dev branch. I can say with 110% certainty that the AI don't react in any capacity to data linked targets. I would like to see how your testing it.

my test:

place two centurions next to each other one to the north, one to the south.

have one facing east, and one facing west.

enable data link send and receive for both.

enable the radar for both turrets.

have a helicopter (taru) fly towards the turrets from the side with radar.

as the helicopter gets closer, observe the turret facing away. without datalink information it shouldn't be able to notice the helicopter unless it's within optical sensor range, so it should only react, if datalink info is beeing used.

my result:

the turret turns around and starts aiming when the helicopter is about 2km away. (optical sensor radius)

next test:

same layout, but at night.

result:

turret facing away is not reacting at all.

my conclusion:

AI doesn't take information from data link targets.

it only reacts, if their own sensors pick up a target.

Sadly JETS DLC ain't my bag......I'll still buy it tho' because BI continue to make Arma awesome! 

• Like 1

Regarding the recent FM improvements:

1. Black Wasp still flies at negative AoA for most of its flight regime. Shikra now behaves more or less properly, though at high speeds it can fly with zero AoA (FPM right on top of the "wings" mark).

2. Neither plane turns when banked. FBW systems do not remove that tendency. This still has to be fixed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

Regarding the recent FM improvements:

1. Black Wasp still flies at negative AoA for most of its flight regime. Shikra now behaves more or less properly, though at high speeds it can fly with zero AoA (FPM right on top of the "wings" mark).

2. Neither plane turns when banked. FBW systems do not remove that tendency. This still has to be fixed.

Have you noticed any change in lift vector when banking, i.e., does the nose fall off or sink when turning without stick back-pressure?

2 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

Sadly JETS DLC ain't my bag......I'll still buy it tho' because BI continue to make Arma awesome! 

Cheers, perhaps that CAS pilot overhead can take out that deadly tank moving in on your troops' positions! 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 8:11 AM, froggyluv said:

So far really enjoying the Jets overall -mostly as it adds another dimension to get into. Planes just never felt right in Arma and tho I lack the tech speak of why it feels better -it just is. One thing (and probably watch too much Top Gun as a kid) but I really look for the visceral experience and as the flybys sound pretty decent from the ground - they're almost non existent if you fly between a group of oncoming speeding jets. Have no idea what sound a real pilot might hear if any - but as it is its just the slightest whisper of a kinda static sound and doesnt really capture the feel of a close call for an air collision.

One thing is that the pilot going Mach+ never hears his own sonic boom!...

@AV8R_Six

great to See you so engaged and interested in the up coming content. Though, would you mind editing your posts instead of posting 2,3 or 4 times in a row instead? It makes reading threads more cumbersome. Thx mate.

• Like 2

One week to go. still hoping for in-game dynamic loadout.

MAJOR props for the Blackfish HMD by the way, incredibly helpful

F/A-181 Flaps indicator no longer does its own thing, fuel still reads left to right but bingo line has been altered to compensate, no longer an issue

Wasp tailhook HMD indicator no longer remains active after arrested landing

Launch position on cat 4, 2, 1 too far forwards, Cat 3 off a bit to the left and too far back (On 1, 2, 4, it seems the aircraft itself is centering on the catapult truck, rather than the front landing gear)

Takeoff speed still shouldn't be instant

Still can't launch the sentinel in manual controls and I can launch literally every other manned aircraft, including VTOLs and the caesar, from carriers, which shouldn't be possible (this was reported a while back...)

Carrier deck guide continues to be a bit too counter-clockwise, forward, and off to the right

Wasp stealth still can't fold wings in virtual garage

KH 25 still reads as a Radar missile on the Shikra MFD

Not a bug but perhaps the blackfish should be able to recognize the carrier as a valid landing point for landing autopilot, it being VTOL and all...

Showcase VTOL seems to be much better than the jets showcase. No major bugs, though the tendency for IFVs to attack aircraft made the final optional bits rather difficult

• Like 1

Here is the ticket for Black wasp Compass T124748

It is showing reverse direction.

FA18_compass.jpg

How come one in every three gauges is reverse?

Even Compass in SU-25 In Arma 2 is reverse.... :icon_bash:

• Like 2

I'm sure lots of the inaccuracies in ArmA 3 are due to the game engine and BIS and beyond BravoZeroOne control!

7 hours ago, xon2 said:

@AV8R_Six

great to See you so engaged and interested in the up coming content. Though, would you mind editing your posts instead of posting 2,3 or 4 times in a row instead? It makes reading threads more cumbersome. Thx mate.

Will try to accommodate you!  I answer posts individually to keep the topics separate and the responses centered on the recipients.

Nothing much new for me today. If you're bored at the BIS/B01 office and need something to do, look at my previous post, none of the then-current bugs/feedback have changed

As for new ones, I can't increase throttle for Sentinel UCAVs on deck

Not related to jets, but the new VTOL flight model doesn't allow for players to vector on the ground, the Xian is up/down only and the Blackfish is forwards only. I can understand the Blackfish (though losing zero-circle turning sucks) but the Xian? Really? Otherwise, the new FM is FANTASTIC, I've never been able to hover this precisely in the VTOLs since the original FM. Also, the crazy takeoff is back, which I approve :)

Also, shouldn't the WY-55 hellcat have the updated HUD by now?

• Like 1

Flight direction indicators  T124748  and T124697  Have been fixed.

Good job.

I somewhat dislike new Shikra cannon sound, but that's just my opinion... what do the others think?

Is aiming heat seeking missiles with free look going to get some kind of aid? Like a circle indicating center of pilots and missiles view?

Are max AOA and G-force effect anywhere on the roadmap? (I know there must be more important things seeking attention especially a few days from the release)

Sorry guys I was unable to find any new bugs. Lets hope it stays that way!

There was gun cross at Black Wasp HMD before, but now it's gone! Bring it back, please!

SOhapse.jpg

• Like 3