Varanon

Re-uploading mods on the workshop

over the years your constant need to bash me is puzzling when you also ignored the trigger event and outcome solution

then you come back again with near-slander remarks about me like `justify/defend outright theft` or just flat out twisting my words out of context ...

i was just reacting here to some wrong statements/ideas how some systems works and frameworks uses

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dwarden said:

over the years your constant need to bash me is puzzling when you also ignored the trigger event and outcome solution

then you come back again with near-slander remarks about me like `justify/defend outright theft` or just flat out twisting my words out of context ...

i was just reacting here to some wrong statements/ideas how some systems works and frameworks uses

I'd suggest the "slander" angle does go both ways.  But I'm not twisting anything. You are choosing to see it that way. I'm giving you feedback on how your statements are being perceived by the larger community.

You say that the statements here are wrong.  But your only evidence for that is your opinion that encryption is pointless.

EDIT - "Years of constant need to bash you" - We've had years of debating this same issue.  And its not just me saying it.  But you always fixate on me.  You have half a dozen people here saying the same thing as me.  Yet your replies are always so negative.  Why try when they can steal your stuff anyway?

again, you missed me addressing e.g. the bikey misinformation etc. but w/e

and no i didn't wrote pointless, i wrote it must be implemented properly before it's of any use ...

2 minutes ago, dwarden said:

and no i didn't say pointless, i said it must be implemented properly before it's of any use ...

I think the point Kiory and Rock are making is ..... well.... why don't BI implement it properly then?

• Like 2

Let's take this back for a moment, as far as I saw, no one was bashing anyone, we're all frustrated and want something to be done, you have your opinions @dwarden and we have ours, it's nothing to take personally.

Sometime in the future it would be nice to have a councel with some BI devs and a few prominent modders and discuss this in a more open and friendly environment, this isn't about bashing eachother, it's about securing a way to protect us, ensuring that you/BI have our interests in mind, give us a reason to have faith, because we're lacking in that right now.

6 hours ago, wld427 said:

moral of the friggin story..... if its not yours don't upload it. slap em with the ban hammer. 

The sad thing is that it IS this simple. The technology is there, but not the will.

• Like 3

while the technology might be there , the engine itself is so aged that it counter-work against ...

yet that don't mean we aren't trying but do not count this as promise 

• Like 2

just in case anyone here missed it:

15 hours ago, PuFu said:

just in case anyone here missed it:

Fun to check for duplicates! I wish A3 Launcher would hash all Steam mods and just symlink it to save on HD space for similar files!

Hey, little bored here. I´m wondering just how accurate is this Workshop Crawler thingie? :)

Because, it´d be really astounding seeing numbers like 40k subscribers for a mod you yourself only see 400 for - i mean, it´s not like i was chasing DL´s anymore, but wtf man?

Purposely reuploaded from a "respected" source no less ... i really do hope that script is as buggy as ArmA1 was on release!

H5Gue9e.jpg

Also: Anyone ever seen that DCMA complaint table steam offers you?

BI wanting to rub THAT off on the creator (even 2 years after the problem popped up) does´nt create a tingling sensation in my groin region.

3 minutes ago, mr burns said:

Hey, little bored here. I´m wondering just how accurate is this Workshop Crawler thingie? :)

Because, it´d be really astounding seeing numbers like 40k subscribers for a mod you yourself only see 400 for - i

Given its currently sat at 400,018 i think its pretty accurate.:P

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421900169

14 minutes ago, rksl-rock said:

Given its currently sat at 400,018 i think its pretty accurate.:P

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421900169

Trying to de-language-barrier my question: I truly hope the numbers are not right according solely in context to the reuploading of my exact files.

(Royale witch Cheese Mod on it´s own might achieve 40k easily, that does´nt say the script properly counted for the redistribution of my actual addon/ip/etc.)

As a german saying goes: Hope dies last, but it definately dies :drinking2:

edit: Also i´ve read 400k for 40k ... so much about my booze-o-meter for today

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr burns said:

Because, it´d be really astounding seeing numbers like 40k subscribers for a mod you yourself only see 400 for - i mean, it´s not like i was chasing DL´s anymore, but wtf man?

Purposely reuploaded from a "respected" source no less ... i really do hope that script is as buggy as ArmA1 was on release!

H5Gue9e.jpg

Also: Anyone ever seen that DCMA complaint table steam offers you?

BI wanting to rub THAT off on the creator (even 2 years after the problem popped up) does´nt create a tingling sensation in my groin region.

What workshop item did you search for?

I have a question that seems geared towards this discussion. I to have noticed many mods being repackaged and uploaded and wish to do the same.

But, I will NOT do so until I get clarification.

Even some well known large clans repackage several mods or specific parts of a mod and its ALL OK.  Then call it ABC Specialty mods, or something like that. Then I have also seen where a much smaller group does the same thing and he is called out and made to remove. The MAJOR difference being the smaller group was MORE Honest and listed the contents. Which then shoots up red flags.

This is a big deal. And its probably already been discussed. But, shouldn't we be talking about WHY you want to do it in the first place?

I am just a player and  want to enjoy the game. NOT a scripting genius or anything of the sort. But, when your mod pack goes over 20 or so.

BI won't recognize the full server list!

I admit, I don't know or understand this completely, and from what I understand it has been that way for years.

But, people want to play with their modpack. And, it gets cut off. Thats WHY ppl repackage and combine things. 

Why does it have to be this issue of how many mods? If I play with 15 or 150, if I have tested them and they don't conflict and IT WORKS! What's the problem!

The Server should recognize them and allow a player to download and JOIN.

I agree permission should be asked. But, there are many inconsistencies. Like, Ctab, no longer supported by original author. 

Some, authors won't ever respond.

Now, If it has never been published on STEAM by original author. Of course thats a whole other thing and thats wrong.

I understand and can appreciate ALL sides of the argument. But, isn't a large part of this that the server cannot transmit all data?

That's the real issue for me.

I have 37 mods. Other groups have 21, but really have 50 or more but compacting them.

Set me straight, But again, I think BI needs to step up to 2018 in this department BIG TIME!

I won't do anything if I even Think it might be in poor taste. But, this is a major issue.

Speaking for CUP only here, you are allowed to reupload CUP to a private server, like, for example, an Arma3Sync repository. You are not allowed to reupload to the workshop.

If you want to make your server's modset available on the workshop, make it a collection, not a mod, and link the required mods into that collection. Problem solved, no re-upload necessary.

If something is no longer supported, or the author isn't available, tough luck. If you are lucky, if an author decides to go away, they will say something about the legal state of their mod.

• Like 2

Even some well known large clans repackage several mods or specific parts of a mod and its ALL OK. 

it isn't OK. I do not care how big or small a community is, the license is there for everyone.

speaking for RHS, you are also allow to use your custom mirror if you want to (respecting the EULA), you are not allowed to re-upload it on Steam Workshop though, in parts or in full. the EULA is clear on this one

speaking in general terms, even though there is no EULA or license present for a mod, in accordance with Steam Subscriber Agreement, unless you own the mod, you cannot upload it to Steam.

Your own convenience shouldn't trump on someone's else's IP rights! 

It isn't up to the mod makers to fix the server issues with it not being able to transmit to the client the mods needed. It is up to BI & Steam.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3.3.2018 at 5:13 AM, BruceALMIGHTYY said:

The MAJOR difference being the smaller group was MORE Honest and listed the contents. Which then shoots up red flags.

Believe me. It's not the honesty that shoots up the red flags. The description of a mod is rarely looked at. If it has reuploaded files that it's not allowed to, then it will shoot up the red flags.

Maybe it feels like smaller groups are getting punished more. But maybe that just because there are waaaay more than bigger groups. And that smaller groups usually say "fuck copyright. We are only a small group. No one cares anyway" whereas the bigger groups usually know what they are doing.

On 3.3.2018 at 5:13 AM, BruceALMIGHTYY said:

But, when your mod pack goes over 20 or so.

BI won't recognize the full server list!

I admit, I don't know or understand this completely, and from what I understand it has been that way for years.

But, people want to play with their modpack. And, it gets cut off. Thats WHY ppl repackage and combine things. 

Why does it have to be this issue of how many mods? If I play with 15 or 150, if I have tested them and they don't conflict and IT WORKS! What's the problem!

The Server should recognize them and allow a player to download and JOIN.

I understand and can appreciate ALL sides of the argument. But, isn't a large part of this that the server cannot transmit all data?

That's the real issue for me.

The server does recognize them, and sends all data. It's not BI's fault. It's Steam that cuts off the data as they please. And as BI is using the Steam Serverlist to find their servers.... So please. Blame Steam.

• Like 1

Arma 3 was the first Arma to be sold strictly on Steam I seem to remember and the workshop followed suit. Certainly two things have made the issue more prevelant with Arma 3. BI, along with every gaming company, moving to selling through Steam and the slow shift from Armaholic being the go to source for mod's in the Arma 2 days to Steam being pretty much the 3,000 gorilla.

Personally I prefer Armaholic.

• Like 1

Game and DLC only available on Steam. Seems to be kinda outdated to NOT put your mod on Steam. And I used to be a Steam hater... Lol

38 minutes ago, BruceALMIGHTYY said:

Game and DLC only available on Steam. Seems to be kinda outdated to NOT put your mod on Steam. And I used to be a Steam hater... Lol

Not outdated, it is the choice of the addon/mod makers. Especially as most addons will have taken many hours to create, you also have to remember addon making is a hobby its not a job.

• Like 1

There is alot of talk right now in Steam and BI forums about mods and reposting, repacking, illegal mods and such.

So, if we are going down that road... Lets talk about the biggest RIP OFF of ALL TIME!
And that would Invade & Annex ripping off Xeno the ORIGINAL creator of Domination! UH, yeah maybe they redone it, and gave it a diff name, BUT,THEY still STOLE IT!!