tkullander

[FIX] Crash on start-up when using many mods

Hey peeps,

Just wanted to share something I discovered. I cannot see it has been mentioned here on the BI forums before.

After meddling with a ECP + WW4 + WW4EXT mod combination, I noticed that I started crashing on startup when adding a few extra islands to the mix. It seemed like some memory limit was reached somehow due to all the mods I had loaded. There were also some strange issues with sudden extreme lag, all textures (including menus) where blurry and some random objects showed the lowest level of detail, even though I was up close.

I have previously messed around with mods in Morrowind/Oblivion, and remembered an application called the 4GB patch by NTCore, which basically allows 32-bit application to utilize 4GB of virtual memory instead of 2GB. This only works in 64-bit environment however.

After downloading the application I patched ColdWarAssault.exe, and now it runs sweet as hell with all the mods I want. After patching, I have played approx 10 hours of single player, and have not encountered any crashes or instabilities. I was using the steam version of Arma Cold War Assault, but I also tested briefly on the GOG-version and encountered no issues there either.

Just wanted to share this piece of information to anyone having similar issues. The patch can be found on the link below (please note that I have no affiliation with NTCore what-so-ever). The application also backs up the original file (ColdWarAssault.exe.Backup) in case you would experience any issues.

http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Cheers.

• Like 2