oddballsix

Stopping the AI from the Lemming Effect

So I am in the midst of creating a fun mission.  Fly small heli, low altitude terminal flight, quiet insertion of a covert team on the end of a pier.  Infil accross a cargo yard, through a street, take down a target, and get out safely before the reaction force a couple towns away pins you down...

Except 3 seconds after we land, my AI teammates are walking off the pier like freakin' lemmings.

Anyone have any ideas?  Seems to be a pathfinding awfulness, and not even "natural" "barriers" that I had hoped would stop them - like rope fence objects - stop them from doing that because rope fence is not a barrier...

setCombatMode

setFormation

setBehaviour

AIBehaviour - Just a description of what each mode does.

Hopefully these commands will steer you in the right direction.

Pretty useful especially if you do not want them to fire immediately as they enter the pier. (if they see an enemy of course)

Hell I'll throw this in as well:

Waypoints Information

On 4/14/2017 at 8:16 AM, Midnighters said:

setCombatMode

setFormation

setBehaviour

AIBehaviour - Just a description of what each mode does.

Hopefully these commands will steer you in the right direction.

Pretty useful especially if you do not want them to fire immediately as they enter the pier. (if they see an enemy of course)

Hell I'll throw this in as well:

Waypoints Information

Thanks, its a bit late replying, but none of this actually works.  From the moment they hop off the helicopter, and before they get to next waypoint, they walk off edges.

I guess this is a large pier if there is room for a chopper to land?

Are there building positions defined for this pier?  If so you might be able to script move commands or waypoints to send them first to building position nearest chopper, and then on to the building position at base of pier (near land).  AI can walk docks that have building positions.  I would first disableAI "FSM" to discourage moving in formation and deviating from the path.  And maybe disableAI "AutoCombat" also.  Once they are safely to shore you can reenable that.

Try it by being squad leader and commanding one AI first.   Tell him to Stop after he exits chopper (so he immediately doesn't run off pier while trying to get in formation).  Then select the AI unit and look at nearby building position on pier and order him there.   If that works, then scripting it should also work.  Might be best if chopper lands facing the shore (pointing down length of pier), so dismounting AI don't have to navigate around the chopper to get to first position.

Worth a try.  Good luck.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 1:13 PM, johnnyboy said:

I guess this is a large pier if there is room for a chopper to land?

Are there building positions defined for this pier?  If so you might be able to script move commands or waypoints to send them first to building position nearest chopper, and then on to the building position at base of pier (near land).  AI can walk docks that have building positions.  I would first disableAI "FSM" to discourage moving in formation and deviating from the path.  And maybe disableAI "AutoCombat" also.  Once they are safely to shore you can reenable that.

Try it by being squad leader and commanding one AI first.   Tell him to Stop after he exits chopper (so he immediately doesn't run off pier while trying to get in formation).  Then select the AI unit and look at nearby building position on pier and order him there.   If that works, then scripting it should also work.  Might be best if chopper lands facing the shore (pointing down length of pier), so dismounting AI don't have to navigate around the chopper to get to first position.

Worth a try.  Good luck.

Thanks these are all helpful, im working through trying it.

• Like 1

Try using the doMove command.  They'll walk more straight towards the position.