Derek Thompson

BIS Aircraft Carrier

I found a issue... but I don't know should I post ticket to the feedback, so I post here...

I place a defense system next to another defense system on a USS Freedom, and I approach them in an OPFOR helicopter, these systems will opens fire but they won't holds fire when another defense systems or USS Freedom itself are in its line of fire. So result will be blue-on-blue, or if it is a SAM, its missile will explode immediately after fire so self-destruct. (pic1, pic2)

I know the issues are not a characteristic for the defense systems but... this is silly.

Dammit BIS :icon_cry:

Really wish they at least jerry-rigged some ramp and a climbable ladder+catwalk in the rear of the carrier, so that amphibious vehicles, divers and boat crews could board the carrier from sea. And was really hoping for lower deck hangar to park and respawn amphibious vehicles. I would have been happy with plain empty gray texture lower deck. Don't care if it was modeled unrealistically, at least it would have allowed for more gameplay.

Well I suppose mission makers will figure out some magic sling load crane or teleport script onto the upper deck from the sea.

I don't think this thing can safely fit 50-90 players constantly respawning with jets coming and going and spontaneously combusting once in a while. Hence why I want lower deck so badly as staging, storage area

Also kind of embarrassing when ancient Battlefield 1942 engine had planes taking off from a moving or even sinking carrier and even had ropes to climb onto the carrier as infantry. Heh RV4 engine developed so many years later can't handle any that....

Seems more like a novelty thing for those few missions :/

Should have included the carrier in the non free part of the DLC and put more effort into it. I'm sure people would have thrown money for the carrier alone if it had half the features of USS Nimitz even if they don't care about flying themselves

Nevertheless, thanks Bohemia. Really hope you update the thing to include more features at some point

• Like 4

I realize how much work goes into building something like this carrier, it's an awesome extra to go with the DLC! So cool to plunk it down in the Tanoan sea as if it's a new small man-made Island, standing on it and looking at the other Islands nearby :-)

• Like 1

I looked in the editor and cannot locate the aircraft carrier. Where do I find it?

4 hours ago, Joe98 said:

I looked in the editor and cannot locate the aircraft carrier. Where do I find it?

I agree it's a bit hard to find :-)  You have to click the yellow objects/props button on the top right of the screen. There it's somewhere under static ships I believe, you can find it fast by first clicking on the yellow button and then type 'freedom' in the search field near the button (the ship is called USS Freedom). :-)

Greetings,

I've published the documentation on how the dynamic airports are working, so feel free to take a look and (mis)use it for your mods :)
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Dynamic_Airport_Configuration

Also, if there are any questions regarding the USS Freedom data, how is it assembled etc., fire at will! I'll be happy to help clear any confusion, so you can make the mods even more awesome :)

• Like 6

On 19.5.2017 at 6:14 AM, Joe98 said:

Just type in "freedom" in the asset-search-window.

since the carriers spawns with script wizadry on it's own, could it not also spawn with the turrets at their correct positions?

the turrets are not only a functional aspect of the carrier, but more importantly an important visual aspect.

So since last update planes are randomly clipping though the ground resulting in random explosions.

For some reason does the back of the plane starts falling though the ship, once you enter it it turns even further into the ship.

Resulting in you being stuck in the ship already or if the catapult is close enough it looks like it pulls you out but in reality after the bar is full you just explode.

Thing is, hard to make a bug report about this since every game random planes have this... (so its not bound to 1 place)

For now I disabled the simulation on the plane and enabled that again once a player goes in it.

1 hour ago, Theo1143 said:

So since last update planes are randomly clipping though the ground resulting in random explosions.

Are you playing with mods?

20 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

Are you playing with mods?

Ofcourse not otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Falling though the ship at random locations while walking was already known.

But this is something new since the last update...

I can confirm the carrier ship is broken. Just placing a Wasp in front of the catapult and see it sink slowly, partially into the carrier..

• Like 1

On 2017-6-26 at 1:52 PM, joostsidy said:

I can confirm the carrier ship is broken. Just placing a Wasp in front of the catapult and see it sink slowly, partially into the carrier..

I am not experiencing this issue. Could please check that your mods are disabled?

2 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

I am not experiencing this issue. Could please check that your mods are disabled?

No you should go ingame and do the same as I did in this video...

There is only 1 catapult (out of 4) that doesn't has this problem, again this is not "only" limited to the catapults.

4 minutes ago, Theo1143 said:

No you should go ingame and do the same as I did in this video...

There is only 1 catapult (out of 4) that doesn't has this problem, again this is not "only" limited to the catapults.

Well i will have to look when i get home from work, but as i said before i didn't experience the issue. Have you logged it on the feedback tracker?

2 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Have you logged it on the feedback tracker?

I just made this, was checking what me problem with me mission was until this.

Thing is I closed the cockpits to have them cooler looking but that caused random planes to clip through the ship like this.

Disabled it now all by disabling the animation after the cockpit is closed, and enabling them by a addaction but that is just a temp fix for now.

edit: 

5 hours ago, WastedMike_ said:

Is someone working a BIS carrier version with multiple interiors and working elevators?

Nope.

• Like 1

If the carrier already has problems with planes falling through the decks, I think elevators would make this issue very bad.

If you want a naval aircraft carrying vessel with a hangar deck and elevators, I think the best solution is an LHD (either the somewhat out of date ATLAS:LHD Plus, or the LHD in CUP), and Night515's F-35 (actually called a F-38, part of his Aegis mod)

Like so:

Spoiler

Qz3FF6I.jpg

9ZTpDqH.jpg

sYbDvXD.jpg

aTAiGxc.jpg

This one I manually packed them in, they weren't placed like that in the editor:

lkavxj4.jpg

The problem with elevators is that they seem to work fine lowering planes:

Spoiler

MTx3tJ0.jpg

clfRpbU.jpg

LB0J2lm.jpg

But... raising them causes them to drop through the deck... like on those catapults:

Spoiler

MdUUCPU.jpg

4vp9EYB.jpg

With a true VTOL plane, this can be recovered from:

Spoiler

nc2dlTN.jpg

The CUP F-35s are STOVL only, and thus they can't recover like this, and are really hard to maneuver around the deck of the LHD (meaning that you can't pack nearly as much stuff on it.

Since Arma 3 has no VTOL fighters (unlike Arma 2), it would be harder to achieve satisfactory results with elevators.

Although, the LHD elevators seem to work fine with ground vehicles, and you can already fit a ton of them in the LHD.... so a hangar deck just for ground vehicles to be slung loaded/loaded into blackfish could still be nice:

Spoiler

fkMhdTO.jpg

aLupbeg.jpg

c4QJKBN.jpg

fRExQCZ.jpg

Vjv11xc.jpg

dXCMr4l.jpg

So its doable... BI should have included an F-35 port from Arma 2 in their Jets DLC, and added a hangar deck to their carrier.

As it is now, I have far more fun with the Arma2 derived F-35 and LHD mods. Sure... I like the black wasp II, I like the catapult and arrested recovery mechanics, but it would be nice if it could really be a floating base like the LHD can be. The Freedom gives players a place to operate jet fighters from, and not much else. The Blackfish is really really cramped on an LHD, but fits comfortably on the freedom - so it would be really nice if the freedom had a hangar deck where vehicles could be stored for loading into blackfish at a later time. Storing everything above deck isn't good, because before long, there is no room for jets to launch, land, and taxi back to the catapults (and it also looks horrible)

• Like 1