Derek Thompson

BIS Aircraft Carrier

I am very much interested to see if the automated defences that are on the Freedom are seperately placable entities within Eden.

Could allow for fixed SAM sites which would be great for the classic "neutralise the enemy AA" we always see that until now is limited to blowing up Tigris's.

• Like 3

I would assume so. Separate turret "vehicles" that will likely need to be manned by AI 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Could allow for fixed SAM sites which would be great for the classic "neutralise the enemy AA" we always see that until now is limited to blowing up Tigris's.

*obnoxiously clears throught* or a bit of fun with attachTo

chucking a few CIWS' in the back of a hemtt and charging into KOTH ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laqueesha said:

In the Eagle Wing campaign for A2, there were Arleigh Burke DDGs firing off tomahawks.

Keep in mind that those were purely scripted missiles (not Tomahawks but the same AGM-65 Mavericks used by A2 A-10s in fact) made via a mixture of createVehicle, setDir, BIS_fnc_setPitchBank, and setVelocity commands. They were not actual missiles being launched from the destroyers themselves.

For what it's worth the Freedom will be the first official ship done by BI that actually has on-board weapon systems that aren't just static models.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

I am very much interested to see if the automated defences that are on the Freedom are seperately placable entities within Eden.

@warlord554@BroBeans. Word of DnA is yes, though the specific question was "if you'll be able to play these systems independent of the carrier inside scenarios" if that seems ambiguous enough.

@drebin052's got a good point; CUP's LHD defenses were the result of community work on static weapon system models in the Arma 2 samples (ca\water2\lhd\data within which ciws is self-explanatory, raketomet_1 is the eight-missile launcher, raketomet_2 to the twenty-one-missile launcher) so it's nice to see that Bohemia's "doing it officially" albeit with presumably "2035 updates" of said systems.

For anyone who wants a great visualization of what Imperator[TFD] may be getting at here, take a look at this video footage; you can see the same visual again at 2:56, and rewind to 0:10 to see that there's three such player-operated fixed SAM launchers at the simulated site.

This looks very cool. I certainly did not expect this to go along with the Jets DLC. It certainly came as a true surprise.

I think this will bring some true, great gameplay!

• Like 3

To BI and B01:

Will there be a module or modules available which create prepared configurations for the Freedom, with their respective animations? If yes, could they be adjusted, modified, maybe even given the chance of saving our own custom versions? 

Thanks in advance! 

I hope this will be spawnable from Zeus, not only from Eden :D

• Like 2

On 4/15/2017 at 2:13 AM, BadHabitz said:

Has the question been answered as to whether or not the aircraft elevators are functional?

Not sure, but a full underdeck hanger and a couple working elevators would be great. Probably should have a boat launch also. Its definitely a good start though, no matter what.

On 13/04/2017 at 8:13 PM, dragon01 said:

Really looking forward to it. That's going to be a great help with the Nimitz mod, as well. :) CUP LHD and other static ship mods could also benefit, I guess. This is going to be a very good time for ArmA3.

BTW, maybe they should revise the "Largest ship ever built". Add either "in ArmA" or "warship". It's big, but it's no ULCC tanker. 

You forgot FFAA mod with BAM ship or HAFM Ships :) 

[The ship] is reinforced by autonomous defensive systems (which can indeed be placed individually as well).

- last Sitrep

5 hours ago, Recker Jackson said:

You forgot FFAA mod with BAM ship or HAFM Ships :) 

HAFM ships are movable, so I don't know how much the new additions will help them. I've never tried FFAA mod, so I know nothing about their BAM.

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

HAFM ships are movable, so I don't know how much the new additions will help them. I've never tried FFAA mod, so I know nothing about their BAM.

About addition of more ships... you can also download some on armaholic. For example you can download addon fron A1/2 and use it in A3. Sometimes it works sometimes not... :/

I came back to A1 because there is LHA-1with 2 more destroyers also there is naval warfare pack from Gnat with 3 ships and alsoKuznetsov is there so... 

It would be really cool to see these ships in A3 to increase the naval power of factions.

Best regards DonbassCZ

There is a tow tractor in CUP that somewhat works. It will tow the new jets.

It would be cool to have a full interior. I can imagine a scenario where the ship is disabled and is boarded by insurgents. Or insurgents capture the ship with hostages and the players need to gain access to the ship and recover it and the hostages.

Hell, we just need more ships to mess around with.  Maybe even a Carnival Cruise Lines..  Lol

Would lend itself well to some CQB style combat.

Just now, R0adki11 said:

But please do remember your getting this carrier for free!

And? Once the new stuff is applied to the Nimitz mod this new carrier will be irrelevant to anyone that uses mods. It's disappointing because I thought this new shiny could replace a mod, but alas it's another heartbreak.

• Like 1

Just now, BadHabitz said:

And? Once the new stuff is applied to the Nimitz mod this new carrier will be irrelevant to anyone that uses mods. It's disappointing because I thought this new shiny could replace a mod, but alas it's another heartbreak.

Well the whole point of the Jet DLC is have new jets, i consider it a nice bonus for a carrier to be released. And who is to say that the carrier will not be updated or added to in the future.

• Like 2

Just now, BadHabitz said:

Have a winge why don't you mate. You're getting a brand new carrier for free in a DLC thats sole focus is on Air Sup Jets. Instead of appreciating the fact you're getting this big ass carrier for free, you're complaining like a child why doesn't it have this, doesn't have that, I want more, I want more. 

Pathetic. 

• Like 2

Just now, R0adki11 said:

Well the whole point of the Jet DLC is have new jets, i consider it a nice bonus for a carrier to be released. And who is to say that the carrier will not be updated or added to in the future.

It is a bonus. Just not as nice as it could have been. The hangar is a good place to start missions from, and it doesn't even have that. Would I have loved to see tons of bells and whistles? A working boat davit; usable screens in a conference/ready room; etc. Yeah, I would love that, but I wasn't expecting that. I just thought that elevators and a hangar would be a no-brainer, that's why it's a disappointment. We went from wondering what kinds of cool shit it would have to not even having all of the basics.

I do hope these issues are fixed for the future. Just like supposedly some of the Tanoa bricks are getting interiors. 

Foul language post(s) removed, there is no need to insult other forum members. Can forum members please discuss this thread topic in a civilised and mature manner. 

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wish people would pay more attention to the information that BIS provides, I think their information is pretty clear and it's pretty much what you see is what you get. To me it seems people are being disappointed for getting their hopes up too much, which was avoidable if they took the time to listen to and see what BI releases.

Who is surprised that there are no hangars or bays to launch ships from? If there were, they would be obviously shown and mentioned in the advertisements. Such a thing would be way too much of a selling point to keep secret or throw in as an 'extra'. By now everyone should know that with the available resources it's a tough job for BI to complete the DLC's, whether it's helo's, Tanoa, or this. There just is not much room for extra functionality, assets etc. It's mostly WYSIWYG. Wishlisting can be fun, but it can become a 'downer' for people posting it or reading it.

I'm celebrating the arrival of the new carrier by focusing on what it does have, and what most BI assets have in my opinion: a very good looking and professional, polished and consistent look and functionality that is almost unrivaled by any mods.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

Have a winge why don't you mate. You're getting a brand new carrier for free in a DLC thats sole focus is on Air Sup Jets. Instead of appreciating the fact you're getting this big ass carrier for free, you're complaining like a child why doesn't it have this, doesn't have that, I want more, I want more. 

Pathetic. 

I do appreciate that we're being given something for free. I can still voice my opinion in what I perceive to be a mistake in development. Please remain civil instead of trying to hurl insults.

• Like 1