charliereddog

Tutorial of MP Task setup?

Is there, or would anyone be willing to create, a step by step simple tutorial on how to create a couple of sequential tasks for players in MP, both dedicated and locally hosted MP server? Just kill unit a, complete task 1, allocate task 2. Kill unit B, complete task 2, create task 3. That sort of stuff.

This is a little dated now, but I think the basics are the same:

Cheers. Will have a look. A lot of the tutorials and posts date from before the BIS revamp of the task framework so it's difficult to know what is relevant and what is not. It is also hard to find MP specific info, which given its nuances is a pain in the arse.

What I've done currently works fine in SP from the editor. Put it on a server and nope....

yeah, some of jester's tutorials have sort of become obsolete in the sense that some of the options detailed in some of the modules no longer exist.

So if that does become the case, you always have scripts you can make. :P

Ok, its very simple.

Im going to assume that you know how to set up tasks, make them completed etc. If you dont, watch tutorials, try it out etc. Its just a matter of synching triggers with the task modules or the task modules with eachother...

All you need are modules and triggers.

-> IMPORTANT BIT

To make it work in MP, you just write isServer before the trigger condition.

So if you have "Blufor present" in the activation and therefore "this" in the condition, you just change it to "isServer && this" (without the "").

-> IMPORTANT BIT ENDS HERE

That is because if you dont do it and players leave and join back, the tasks will not update for them or be completely different/not show up at all.

Also, dont sync any task to a playable unit and make it be exclusively for that unit/the units group. Because if the player it was synched to leaves/isnt in the game on mission start, the task module will not do whatever it was supposed to.

I generally just set the task to "All playable units" as it makes things alot easier.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

That's pretty much how I had it set up, but I didn't have the isServer condition in any of the triggers. Will give it a go and see how it goes.

Well apart from having task 3 (the last one) as the active current task when the mission starts, this seems to work ok. I suspect I'm going to have to look at coding each task creation past the first one. For one, they're out of order as above and two, they're all visible, no surprises...