Sign in to follow this  
MikkoFin

Soldier modelling

I've got demo-model of west soldier, and I'd like to retexture it so that I can have my own textures and still change the model.

So is there any easy way to do this?

I mean that you don't have to select every face using the face propereties and then change those texturenames?

Becouse you have to do this to EVERY lod.....

And that takes really time.

I tried to use hex-edit and "find and replace" tool, but when I save the model again and try to open it in O2, it says that unable to load....

And if there is no way to do this fast... I think I won't do this and FDF doesn't get good wintermodels.

I have to think this.

So what about that?

I've done loooot's of models and textured them, so I know how to do that....

But I was asking an easy way to retexture things...

But there seems to be only one way, and that's the hard way....

Well, I've got a demo model of a soldier, too. But if I use it, OFP crashes.

It would be very helpful to have a design-soldiers-in-ofp-howto (which named selections are necessary, memory lod requirements).

@Donnervogel:

Texturing is pillepalle, we need to know how to build new soldier models... biggrin.gif

yeah..works for me too!!!

have modified several unit models... but, lol, sometimes i have placed an object wrong in the model (e.g. one time i added a microphone to a unit, but the mic followed the legs movement when the soldier ran..lol.. was screwed up, but damn funny to look at...!!! biggrin.gif

Just out of interest.. How tall would you say the ofp soldier model is?

I would say about 5ft 10 inches..

Anyone know exactly?

sorr, dont know...

but handguns doesnt work on the demo models... confused.gif

are there a position missing? (thinking of the handgun position)

mabye you have tried this too, but its weird - the handgun does not work on my soldier models... mad.gif

I have modified some demo soldiers, and I have added the Glock to the cpp file. It's work great.

The easiest way i've found - assuming that you have your own textures which fit the model at first is follows:

1. Get the OFPDemo - v0.36

2. DePBO the Data.pbo file in the Dta directory.

3.Open the soldier model in O2, select everything, press E

4. Make a list of all the textures the sodlier model uses.

5. Get a decent hex editor - VEdit or HexEdit will do nicely - goto Download.com for a free trial.

6.Open up the soldier model with the editor and replace data/ with your addon .pbo ie if it was NewSoldier.pbo replace with newsoldier/

7. Create a file with the same name (ie create new file "NewSoldier") and stick all the texture files + the models in there.

8. Replace/change the textures with your new ones.

9. Gaze upon your wonderous creation in Bulldozer.

10. Save

11. Write config.cpp, rembering randomn face + lods if you change the model.

Sorted

I had the same problem with adding a pistol to a demo solder also, but i fixed it by putting this in the cpp -

class All{};

class AllVehicles:All{};

class Land:AllVehicles{};

class Man:Land{};

class Soldier:Man{};

class SoldierWB:Soldier{};

class OfficerWHG: SoldierWB{};

class Yoursoldierclasshere: OfficerWHG

Before i did this i only had the soldier part with out the officerwhg, and it crashed out to windows each time i went to view the soldier in the editor, but once i added the OfficerWHG it worked fine, also if u put this in with soldierWB next to it, it does not show up as a officer biggrin.gif

I hope this helps u out biggrin.gif

// soldiers bicep

// soldiers forearm (loket)

< soldiers hand (ruca)

im trying to create a model from scratch but im gettin this problem with the units arm.the forearm isnt attached or else its distorted badly .

every thing else seems fine apart from the arm ive even open another unit and tried using an arm from that but it had the same effect.anyone got any idea where i may have gone wrong?

any help appreciated

To change textures in an easy way do this;

Open your model and make sure you see the "Texture Library".

Hold ctrl and double click with left mouse button on a texturename to select all the faces that use that texture. Now activate a viewport (right click in it i.e.) and press "E" to bring up the face properties window. There press the button far down the right that loks like a folder and select your new texture. Now those faces use the new texture.

I've got a problem with this, too - I can't open any of the demo models (demo version I've got is 0.36). I'd like to mod some infantry or at least get an idea on how they are built.

I've successfully moded a pilot model, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. Probably a coding error, but I'll find what I can.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">im trying to create a model from scratch but im gettin this problem with the units arm.the forearm isnt attached or else its distorted badly .

every thing else seems fine apart from the arm ive even open another unit and tried using an arm from that but it had the same effect.anyone got any idea where i may have gone wrong?

any help appreciated<span id='postcolor'>

yes,youll find the bicep also includes the vertices from the top of the loket,and the bottom of the rameno(shoulder)

these have to be included in the definition.

select the bicep,making sure you use the points from the other body parts...but it has to be correct or youll find

his arm drops to the floor.check the demo model,

a good tip is to copy and paste the part you wand for reference,and select (isolated points)

youll see them plainly,