Delta Hawk

Walking on moving decks

Walking on decks  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a walking on moving decks feature in ArmA?

• Yes
    • No

We might find out sooner than we realise now the BIS carrier is confirmed :O

BIS carrier is a static object, so it's no different than walking on a building in that respect.

37 minutes ago, darkChozo said:

BIS carrier is a static object, so it's no different than walking on a building in that respect.

Granted, it probably is, though let's wait until it comes out to find out ;)

Scratch that - just seen the BIS images

On 13.04.2017 at 0:58 AM, Delta Hawk said:

This feature could have a lot of applications in the game.  For example, you could walk around in large aircrafts like the Blackfish as they fly, or someone could use this feature to make WWII battleships, or duda123 could use this feature to walk around on trains in his Advance Train Mod, or SixTen could use it to walk around on his 18th century ships, or a Star Wars or Halo mod using it for their space ships.  Imagine playing a WWII mod being able to walk around a B-17 while it's flying in air and manning the different .50 cals as the crew dies from German planes strafing it.  Or jumping from a building onto a truck and shooting the driver through the roof like an action movie.  This feature would also expand the ability to carry boxes.  You could drop an ammo box in the back of a truck and carry it without fighting with attach to commands.

Walking around in aircraft has little purpose, ejecting from the back works well enough for paradrops (we could use a faster way to dismount, but for it to be feasible, the entire vehicle boarding system would have to be overhauled). We don't have the ability to carry boxes anyway and trains, as nice as they are, are just a gimmick. That's my problem with it, basically. Neither ships nor just about any other use of the "walking on moving objects" feature is anything but a gimmick. Even with carrying boxes, an implementation like "walk up to truck, press button, crate loaded" would work.

I understand your feelings toward modern day naval stuff, but regardless would you not like that feature so others could expand what ArmA is capable of? 

I would like other features that allow others to expand ArmA in more useful directions. 18th century ships are nice to look at, but how many communities actually use them in missions? Neither SW nor Halo mods are particularly lively and I haven't seen either have anything resembling a large ship. Places where it'd be useful in practice are few, or have prerequisites which would be enormous projects on their own. Things like sensor overhaul or dynamic loadout, on the other hand will change the vanilla game completely for approximately the same (or less) amount of effort. In Enfusion it might be implemented from the start, so we could have physics and vehicle interaction like in Take On:Mars (but maybe with less glitchyness).

So it looks like the majority of the community would like some sort of walking on moving decks feature, which I imagine mostly for ships.  Seeing as ArmA 4 is still a couple or even several years down the road I was wondering if we could get some input from BIS about the possibility of this feature being implemented in ArmA3.  I know this feature in most game engines is basically impossible (I can only name a couple games that support it) but looking at how well vehicles interact with each other with PHYSx LODs, whether intentional or not, makes me wonder if the same properties could be heavily modified and applied to characters.

• Like 2

Unfortunately,

walk on moving decks is not planned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Fair enough. I'd rather see you prioritize important stuff and not gimmicks like that.

• Confused 1

You can be assured that walking on moving object would be next big thing (from Transport VTOLs to military

transport aircraft (a la C140) to a moving ships/carrier, to land vehicles and would add another dimension.

Coding it in however would be big undertaking requiring lots of resources dedicated in a time window.

It is really localized phyX grid when you think about it - it needs to update clients on where passangers is

while moving at high speeds. So is combination of physics and network efforts.

6 hours ago, dr. hladik said:

Unfortunately,

Dr. Hladik

One question. As you have said this feature is not planned but... could you please shed any light wether you afe going to increase the 50 meter RLOD and GEO LOD limits??

With that the interaction between man class and big ships would improve a lot making big ships a worthwhile effort.

I'm working on an LCS 2 and improving those thing would mean that the LCS could be very useful as a mobile base

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dr. hladik said:

Unfortunately,

Thank you for the reply.  That's unfortunate.  I hope when time and workflow permits you all can take a look at the possibility of adding this.

3 hours ago, en3x said:

Coding it in however would be big undertaking requiring lots of resources dedicated in a time window.

It is really localized phyX grid when you think about it - it needs to update clients on where passangers is

while moving at high speeds. So is combination of physics and network efforts.

I'm constantly reminded while playing Ark Survival and Space Engineers how much of a difficult thing this feature is to get to function properly, especially when it comes to multiplayer sessions.  To be honest I'm amazed how well it works on Ark notwithstanding all the bugs and glitches.

Indeed, it is difficult. However, Take On: Mars has it working, so it's not like it can't be done. Just not in RV engine. Hopefully Enfusion will have that feature out of the box.

3 hours ago, en3x said:

You can be assured that walking on moving object would be next big thing (from Transport VTOLs to military

transport aircraft (a la C140) to a moving ships/carrier, to land vehicles and would add another dimension.

Let's save that for ArmA4. Remember, they have to leave something for us to be excited about when ArmA4 is announced. :) Seeing as the current DLC plan seems to comprehensively cover improving all aspects of ArmA gameplay that were in need of improving, they won't have much left to add for ArmA4 (and I assure you, if BIS doesn't include all ArmA3 features in ArmA4, people will come at them with torches and pitchforks...). 

"Arma 4" What a laugh. 

I mean, it may happen. But. 

I can't blame BIS if they don't make ArmA 4.  You can only reinvent the wheel so many times.  Is the Enfusion engine a new iteration of the VR engine or is a completely separate engine?

• Like 1

It's what DayZ uses. A completely new engine that BIS that created recently, based on their experience with both RV and Enforce. It's supposedly highly scriptable and has or will have most of the capabilities of both.

ArmA is BIS' most successful series, not to mention rather a unique title (Codemasters' OFP tried to compete with it at once point, but failed and I haven't seen another attempt thus far). There's no reason to discontinue it.

59 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

I can't blame BIS if they don't make ArmA 4.  You can only reinvent the wheel so many times.  Is the Enfusion engine a new iteration of the VR engine or is a completely separate engine?

Enfusion supposedly is entirely different. Not sure what the truth is thogh.

11 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

It's what DayZ uses. A completely new engine that BIS that created recently, based on their experience with both RV and Enforce. It's supposedly highly scriptable and has or will have most of the capabilities of both.

ArmA is BIS' most successful series, not to mention rather a unique title (Codemasters' OFP tried to compete with it at once point, but failed and I haven't seen another attempt thus far). There's no reason to discontinue it.

Just because Dayz uses it doesn't mean the people who work on Arma can just scoop it up and use it. Plus, they'd need to do a project revamp in order for their previous assets with the RV engine to be compatible. Since I believe enfusion works on a totally different level than PhysX