Sign in to follow this  
l4z0rr0b0tz

Poly Coordinates getting screwed up on 3ds Import

Hello,

I've been working on a tree lately.  I have been making it in 3ds max and then exporting it as a 3ds file, importing them into 02 to get it into the game and get all the LODs set up.

When I import the file, SOME of the objects (specifically the foliage) appear to have their coordinates screwed up...  they are not properly placed on the branch as they are in 3ds max.  The texture coordinates are fine, it's the actual polys that are misplaced.  They seem to be at the right height but not the right x/z 

Wondering if this is a known issue with 3ds files that people have dealt with or if I'm screwing something up somehow.  

let me know if you have any advice, thanks!

EDIT:  I have also tried importing as an .OBJ file, in which case the polys appear to be in the right place but it doesn't import the UV coordinates

EDIT 2:  Well, so far it looks like something with the pivot points was screwing this model up...  I aligned to world now and it looks closer, but still not correct

EDIT 3:  Definitely something to do with the pivot points and translations and it getting screwed up when you make a lot of clones of the same object and transform them

when you export from 3ds max to import in Objectbuilder

1) make sure that every object is not linked to anything (select all and then look for button "unlink selection" in top toolbar).

2) select all objects, rightclick and convert to editable poly. This will get rid of all object instancing and referencing, which OB does not like.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, x3kj said:

when you export from 3ds max to import in Objectbuilder

1) make sure that every object is not linked to anything (select all and then look for button "unlink selection" in top toolbar).

2) select all objects, rightclick and convert to editable poly. This will get rid of all object instancing and referencing, which OB does not like.

This seems like sound advice.  Unfortunately it did not solve my problem.  I must be screwing something else up somehow.  Maybe with the pivot points.  Maybe I just need to reset transform and do the branches over again?  

I also have a thread going on the autodesk forums:  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/cloned-rotated-objects-changing-coordinates-upon-3ds-export/td-p/7005516

I figured it out!  In my MAX noobness, I did not realize that there was a button called "Reset Xform" which would normalize the coordinates of all my objects in the world.  Nonetheless, thank you for the response x3kj