Sign in to follow this  
Aj Edwards

Got ArmA 3 as a gift. Can I just join any server?

So, I just got arma 3 as a gift to play with my friend but he hasn't even jumped on it since. Free game I guess. But I've tried asking him several times what arma 3 is about, because Im completely ignorant to the series. I just know its about warefare, but I see others saying its about survival. I've seen a few mods like exile, epoch and ryans zombies that I really like and i have them and several other mods now, but I want to know if there are any guidelines? Like.. can I just join the server that says pvp or pve, kos or no kos, and treat it like ark? just jump in, gear up and kill players or ai (if the server allows pvp)?

Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!

Edited by BohemiaBeck
Thread needed a better title.

Arma is a sandbox, it can be anything you want, some mods are designed for survival, some for all out vehicle warfare, some are infantry only and everything inbetween.

Servers will have rules, the important ones will be displayed when you joined or ask players, play how you like if it's permitted.

Some game modes have their rules, hints&tips and other information written in the top left part of the map view where you can see tasks etc. That's the first place you should look if you're new in the game or don't know what the game mode is about.

There are dozens of different game modes and then naturally every server can have their own set of rules.

• Like 1

Most servers will tell you what gamemode is in the server's name on the server browser. Arma is a military simulator in a sense, but is sandbox. Some of the more popular gamemodes include Exile, Wasteland, Domination, Altis Life, Invade & Annex and Epoch. The rules will mostly be similar across servers running the same gamemode, but checking is always helpful. In the case of Epoch or Wasteland the stuff you've asked is normally fine on these servers; anarchy permitted. Your best bet is asking players or admins for any official and unofficial rules(such as KOS or looting other people).