I'm working on a dialog for a game mode (and potentially later a mod, we'll see). It's essentially a tablet UI covering a bunch of functions. Support requests, section orders/planning and ISTAR (intelligence gathering). I appreciate the work needed to get this done, it's a long term project. I also know there's cTab, which is a great mod but I'm looking to make something a bit more bespoke to my unit.

Anyway, the dialog issue is that I can't really achieve what I want in terms of layering. I've read that the order dialog controls are defined in is the order they are layered (z-index essentially). That's great, except the map controls seem to ignore this. With the layering I have, if I put the map to ControlsBackground it can't be interacted with, but if I take it out of there into Controls, it sits on top of everything, regardless of order. The reason the map can't be interacted with is there is a controls group covering the screen area to hide any content that strays outside of the tablet image.

So, does anyone know of any better way to avoid controls appearing outside a defined area, or does anyone know how to force an element to be behind another?

What I intended...

The "overlapping"...

Overlapping with the context menu focused (clicking on it brings it to the front)...

5 hours ago, crazy538 said:

The reason the map can't be interacted with is there is a controls group covering the screen area to hide any content that strays outside of the tablet image.

About the only thing I can suggest is

• to add the events onMouseZChanged onMouseButtonDown/Up to your controlsGroup and handle the map animations yourself with ctrlMapAnim# commands.
  • or scrap the controlsGroup and just make sure none of your controls can ever be outside the desired display area. I presume the little menu you show is initiated via a click in the controlsGroup and ctrlSetPosition to the mouseClick position? Instead initiate it from a onMouseDown on the map, then make sure its position + width is not greater than map position + width, if it is remove its width from its position, and do the same for height, so its always inside the map.

Yea, mouseDblClick but the position on the controlsGroup is way off.

I never thought of setting the width and height to keep it in the border, I'll give that a go. Thanks Larrow, I'll let you know if it works.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I couldn't find anything about resizing elements via scripts. I think you need to use a global variable in the sizing to effect it live.

Anyway, I scaled the UI up a bit and its masked the problem for now. Not the result I was hoping for but it has the same effect ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, crazy538 said:

I couldn't find anything about resizing elements via scripts. I think you need to use a global variable in the sizing to effect it live.

No, no global var needed, I gave you the name of the command in my last post. ctrlSetPosition.

Something like..

//display
//onLoad = "[ 'INIT', _this ] call CRAZY_fnc_UI";

//CRAZY_fnc_UI

disableSerialization;

params[ "_fnc", "_this" ];

switch ( toUpper _fnc ) do {

case "INIT" : {
		params[ "_display" ];

_myControlsGroup = _display displayCtrl IDC_of_ctrlGrp;
		_myControlsGroup ctrlAddEventHandler [ "MouseButtonDblClick", {
			[ "SHOW_MENU", _this ] call CRAZY_fnc_UI;
		}];

//Hide menu
		_myMenu = _myControlsGroup controlsGroupCtrl IDC_of_popUpMenu;
		_myMenu ctrlSetFade 1;
		_myMenu ctrlCommit 0;

};

case "SHOW_MENU" : {
		params[ "_ctrlGrp", "_button", "_mouseX", "_mouseY", "_shft", "_ctr", "_alt" ];

_myMenu = _ctrlGrp controlsGroupCtrl IDC_of_popUpMenu;

//Get ctrl group position and size
		( ctrlPosition _ctrlGrp ) params[ "_grpX", "_grpY", "_grpW", "_grpH" ];
		//Get menu size
		( ctrlPosition _myMenu ) params[ "", "", "_menuW", "_menuH" ];

//if the menu size falls out side the control grp width
		if ( _mouseX + _menuW > _grpW ) then {
			//Remove the excess from the postion
			_mouseX = _mouseX - (( _mouseX + _menuW ) - _grpW );
		};

//Same for height
		if ( _mouseY + _menuH > _grpH ) then {
			_mouseY = _mouseY - (( _mouseY + _menuH ) - _grpH );
		};

//Set position
		_myMenu ctrlSetPosition[ _mouseX, _mouseY, _menuW, _menuH ];
		//Unhide menu
		_myMenu ctrlSetFade 0;
		//init changes
		_myMenu ctrlCommit 0;

};

};

Ah yea, sorry I forgot what you wrote :P That will definitely work then, I've got them all the sizes and positions in defines so I can easily check.