ContheJon

Bizarre "Instruction referenced memory" Error

In my mission, all of a sudden, I'm getting these weird errors thrown at me every time I try to start my mission from the scenario save (which is up to date with the latest editor save) and I have no clue what's causing them. I had it yesterday, reloaded an old version of the map and was fine, able to play it from the scenario menu fine. Sleep, wake up, load it up and boom these errors are back.

The weirdest thing is, I can play-test the scenario a-okay from the Eden editor, it's just when I try to load it up from the scenario menu at the main screen that it throws these at me.

Any help in solving this would be much appreciated, I haven't the faintest idea of how to read these and I don't like to think my mission is going to have to be scrapped because of it or something.

Also, my apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forums. I wasn't sure if it's related to Mission Editing and Scripting or Main Troubleshooting. 

Edited by ContheJon

8 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Might be your RAM biting the dust. Do you get this error in other games too?

Try memtest and see if you get similar errors.

Cheers

Thank you for the help, hopefully this isn't my RAM dying (would be a bit fishy if it was though).

No, I've never had this happen in any other games before. This has only started happening two days ago, only in ArmA 3 and only when I run the mission from the scenario menu. I can play the mission perfectly fine with no issues when playing from the Eden editor, it loads up and runs as well as it always has, so it would appear (to me anyway) that it's something on ArmA's end and within the last couple of days. 

A strange thing though, I have a very similar error appear when I tried to run the Faysh Khabur map from ArmA 2 in ArmA 3. Only, there I can get into the Eden editor, but can't play through the editor or get a crash similar to what I've posted.

As for memtest, I'll try it out and edit this comment if it turns up anything.

Edit: Tried memtest. It ran for over an hour and only found 1 error on pass 7 (I believe, I can't remember exactly but it was 1 error for sure) I wasn't able to get the report on it though for some reason. 

I'm starting to think that the memory issue may be related to the recent update we had, since it's within the same time frame for when it all started.

Edited by ContheJon

I'm starting to think that the memory issue may be related to the recent update we had, since it's within the same time frame for when it all started.

Correlation does mean causation. I think you would need some pretty compelling evidence that the update caused it instead of the ram simply failing at an inconvenient time.

I should say that the issue has been found out; it was the last update like I suspected and it has something to do with Ravage and CUP Maps not playing nicely with one another. Everything plays wonderfully before the update after I rolled back to the previous patch, and doesn't when I update. Check out the Ravage thread here if you want more information: https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/183264-ravage-mod/?page=203

Sorry to be a waste of everyone's time, and thanks @Grumpy Old Man for the help.

On 3/31/2017 at 3:12 PM, ContheJon said:

Edit: Tried memtest. It ran for over an hour and only found 1 error on pass 7 (I believe, I can't remember exactly but it was 1 error for sure) I wasn't able to get the report on it though for some reason. 

You should probably investigate that mem error.  (Especially since you only ran it for one hour and an error occurred).

Mem errors can lead to all sorts of weirdness with Windows/games.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, das attorney said:

You should probably investigate that mem error.  (Especially since you only ran it for one hour and an error occurred).

Mem errors can lead to all sorts of weirdness with Windows/games.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at it at some point.