Sign in to follow this  
l4z0rr0b0tz

How can I make a face/texture two sided in O2?

Hello!

I am working on some foliage for an upcoming map.  I am using a simple method that involves a single plane of geometry and a transparent (fern leaf) texture.  It looks great, but I am having an issue where you can only see the leaf from one side (the other side is invisible).  I think I know how to solve this issue, but I am wondering what the most efficient way is.  Looking at the A2 sample models, there are a great many foliage models that simply have what appears to be two sided faces.  I can't make a two sided face in 3ds max, the closest I can do is a shell modifier > weld the verts, but I can't weld them all.

What is the most efficient way of making a simple, two sided plane for foliage?  Is there a way of making textures two sided or do I simply need to clone/invert the planes that I want to use?  How can I do this while keeping my vert count as low as possible?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893051242

A picture of my ferns

Thanks for any help

highlight the side in Addon Builder then copy and paste and hit W to reverse it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Auss said:

highlight the side in Addon Builder then copy and paste and hit W to reverse it

Thanks Auss, that worked well, I'm a big fan of your map by the way.

Do you happen to know how I can get wind effects on my custom trees etc?  Is there a place in the config or do I need to make animations?  I've been searching and yet to find the answer.  Maybe you might know.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ok I did a little research and figured out that in order to make bushes/trees sway you have to edit the named properties of the GeoLod, and that you can find examples of those properties in the sample models, which I had!

Except that didn't work, lol.  More testing, let me know if anyone knows the answer

dammage tent
map bush
class bushHard

Ok well I am thinking maybe I need to place my object in Terrain Builder before I will see wind effects.  I'm not sure

to make stuff sway u need to put class then bushsoft this will make it move in the breeze, it goes in the GEO lod OR the 0 res (if you dont have a geo lod)

• Like 1

Thanks Auss, fantastic, I also found a reference here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Oxygen_2_-_Manual#Geometry_LODs

Now, the "Tent" damage model is not working for my bush but I didn't put Armor=10 in there so I'm going to do that and give it a go!

And also, I was correct, plants must be placed in Visitor in order to have a wind effect, if you write a config and just place it in the editor (what I did first) you won't see any wind.  Maybe you could get around this by making some kind of animation.  Not sure!

Ok, I have got trees working, I'm still figuring out my shadow LODs.  They fall over when you hit them with a truck.  But they don't do any damage!  I tried putting Armor=10 but it didn't do the trick.  How can I get some damage from my trees?

Figured it out.  You have to add mass to your verts in the Mass dialog in 02.  So much to learn!  But I'm having fun

how O2 and 3ds max generate 2 sided polygons might be different. So what works in 3ds max might not register in O2 or arma. This is why you will have to make adjustments in O2.

But when modeling in 3ds max, yes you can make the model have 2 sided geometry. Assign a basic/standard material to the object. Under the material options click the "2-sided" box. The object will now appear 2-sided in the viewport and when you render images. But you might have to remove or change the material before exporting the model, not sure.

Also select the geometry or model, right click > Object Properties >

under General tab; make sure you turn off "backface Cull"

If "Backface Cull" is on, the back of geometry, such as inside a sphere or cube will be see through, even with 2-sided option on.

//-- This is for 3ds Max 2017, some of these options might have different names or be in different places for later versions

8 hours ago, BlueArrow said:

But when modeling in 3ds max, yes you can make the model have 2 sided geometry. Assign a basic/standard material to the object. Under the material options click the "2-sided" box. The object will now appear 2-sided in the viewport and when you render images. But you might have to remove or change the material before exporting the model, not sure.

false...

It does NOT have 2 sided geometry, it only displays it as having 2 faces, which is completely different

similar system to what oxygen uses works if you are using editable mesh (and edit mesh modifier) instead of edit poly, which allows you to flip the face normals and weld the vertices

if you have a real mesh as above, backface cull will show it as it should (btw, backface cull works based on face normals as intended)

I see. And don't have much experience with making custom foliage that's not renders. Have you tried duplicating the planes and flipping the normals like in O2? It seems to work very well for me and would be better then having to wait until your in O2 to do everything.