The Spirit of Morpheus

Do scripts work at all for the OFFICIAL campaign/missions ("The East Wind", Showcase missions) ???

Hello guys,

Since I mostly play and experiment singleplayer (both the official content from BI as well as user-made custom missions), I have to deal with AI very often - fighting enemy AI as well as getting friendly AI to carry out my orders and instructions in the way they are meant to be. On either side, the AI is often frustrating - but especially the enemy AI often f*** everything up, when they unexpectedly react to my actions (where I expected they would not) or for generally being ridiculously high skilled or accurate... you probably know, what I'm talking about. My intention is to play the game solo in a tactical manner - of course that won't be possible, if the AI is unpredictable as it usually is...

I've already installed some AI mods/addons and they quite do a decent job - however, that's not enough. Since Arma 3 has a AI Sub-skills feature, I want to take advantage of that and there are already a couple of mods/addons adressing this feature. But I want to apply this feature by script and I want to use self-made scripts for that. Besides, there might also be other elements than AI mechanics I want to script for in the future...

The Main Topic:

As far as I researched this matter, most scripts *don't seem to work at all* for the official SP content by BI ("The East Wind", Showcase missions) - all scripts are intended to be placed "inside the mission folder where the mission.sqm is located".

However, there *is* no "mission.sqm" for the official campaign available, nor for the showcase missions - I couldn't find it in the folders "Arma 3 - Other Profiles\[Profile Name]\Saved\A3\Missions_F_EPA\Campaign" and "Arma 3 - Other Profiles\[Profile Name]\Saved\A3\Missions_F_Bootcamp\Campaign". The only relevant file I've found in these folders is campaign.sqc ...

The question is simple: do user-made script files work at all for the official content by BI???

Thx,

T.S.O.M.

@The Spirit of Morpheus I am afraid you are quite mistaken.

If you go ahead and unpack the "missions_f_epa.pbo" file you will find your sqm, let me elaborate.

1. Go to "Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3/Addons"

2. Use a .pbo unpacker such as "PBO Manager" to unpack the "missions_f_epa.pbo" file.

3. Select the missions located in the Campaign folder and place them in the following directory:  "Drive:\Users\Name\Documents\Arma 3\missions"

4. If you take a look in any of the folders you just copied you shall see your SQM file, this is also where you can place your script that you tell us all so much about.

Of course, I assume you know where to go from there. If you need any further help please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy scripting!

*EDIT*: Here is a link to PBO manager: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369

*EDIT/2*: Keep in mind for future reference, official content relating to mission creation and initialization is made with the same tools you and I use to make our missions. In short, their missions are 100% something you could make if you had the time and money.

• Like 1

On 28.3.2017 at 1:56 PM, Robert_FMIS said:

@The Spirit of Morpheus I am afraid you are quite mistaken.

If you go ahead and unpack the "missions_f_epa.pbo" file you will find your sqm, let me elaborate.

1. Go to "Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3/Addons"

2. Use a .pbo unpacker such as "PBO Manager" to unpack the "missions_f_epa.pbo" file.

3. Select the missions located in the Campaign folder and place them in the following directory:  "Drive:\Users\Name\Documents\Arma 3\missions"

4. If you take a look in any of the folders you just copied you shall see your SQM file, this is also where you can place your script that you tell us all so much about.

Of course, I assume you know where to go from there. If you need any further help please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy scripting!

Hey Robert_FMIS,

Thank You for your reply - and sorry for the 2-month delay of my response.

I did exactly like You wrote above and tested it multiple times. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work - or if it did, then I didn't notice it. I added this script into the init.sqf file located in the folder of a certain mission (missions\[mission name]\init.sqf), like Gunter Severloh told me to:

[] spawn {
while {true} do {

{
_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 1.0];
_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 1.0];
_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 1.0];
_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 1.0];
_x setSkill ["spottime", 1.0];
_x setSkill ["commanding", 1.0];
_x setSkill ["general", 1.0];
_x setskill ["reloadSpeed", 1.0];
_x setskill ["endurance", 1.0];
_x setskill ["courage", 1.0];
} forEach allUnits;
sleep 30;
}
};

First, I tried "0.1" (all subskills set to "0.1" - the lowest value) in order to find out, whether the enemy AI becomes "dumber"/less skilled. Then I set all subskills to "1.0" (highest value) for the same mission (same init.sqf file) to detect any difference (if the enemy AI in deed becomes smarter/more skilled, then there is a difference - which then means, the script is working). Well, there was no difference in AI behavior/skill!

Then I tried the same procedure on a different mission (first lowest value, then highest value) and again, the enemy AI didn't become smarter - I cannot even tell, whether it became "dumber" than normal (for that I tried the lowest value first)!

So, I assume it did not work! And I have questions about, why:

1.) does this script work in combination with any active AI mod? I was running bCombat, Advanced AI Command and C2 - Command & Control enabled, while I was performing the above described procedure - maybe the AI mod overrides any Vanilla AI scripts or renders them otherwise useless?

2.) the missions I tested this script with, had their own init.sqf file - therefore I couldn't simply replace them with my own init.sqf file, since they are certainly necessary for the mission to run. Instead, I c&p'ed the above code below the existing lines of code, like this: (note the first two lines of code)

#include "initBriefing.hpp"
#include "initMission.hpp"

[] spawn {
while {true} do {

{
} forEach allUnits;
sleep 30;
}
};

So, maybe there is a syntax error? For example, maybe I have to place a semicolon in line 3 in order to separate the scripts/functions from each other? (sorry, I'm very inexperienced in scripting...)

3.) Does it matter in which user folder I place the extracted mission folders? I have 2 user folders: "Arma 3" and "Arma 3 - Other Profiles". My currently active profile uses the latter one - it's also this profile, with which I performed the tests...

Thx for further support:smile_o:

T.S.O.M.

You missed a semicolon behind the second last }

If u script Ur missions then u should check the latest .rpt file for errors.

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

If u script Ur missions then u should check the latest .rpt file for errors.

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Are You sure? Maybe You have overseen it: (I highlighted it with an arrow and a comment)

[] spawn {
while {true} do {

{
} forEach allUnits;
sleep 30; <- here is it already!
}
};

About the .rpt files: where do I find them? (in which directory are they located?)

Thx 4 support,

TSOM

24 minutes ago, The Spirit of Morpheus said:

Are You sure? Maybe You have overseen it: (I highlighted it with an arrow and a comment)

[] spawn {
while {true} do {

{
} forEach allUnits;
sleep 30; <- here is it already!
}
};

About the .rpt files: where do I find them? (in which directory are they located?)

Thx 4 support,

TSOM

Idk what arrow and which highlighting u mean but there is a missing semicolon as I told u...

Please try to use google sometimes:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Crash_Files

put this in ur file browsers adress line, hit enter and u r in the needed directory:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Arma 3

I found the arrow .... LOL

READ MY POST!

5 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

11 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

I found the arrow .... LOL

READ MY POST!

Ah...okay! A little misunderstanding how You meant "behind" :f:

Okay, I will try it out with that fix - a report will eventually come...

TSOM

Update:

Okay, it's been a while since my last report, so here is the situation:

1.) I modified the init.sqf file like sarogahtyp told me; it now looks like this:

#include "initBriefing.hpp";
#include "initMission.hpp";

[] spawn {
while {true} do {

{
} forEach allUnits;
sleep 30;
};
};

2.) I placed the modified init.sqf file in the same mission folder ("B_m02_2.Stratis") for both "Arma 3" and "Arma 3 - Other Profiles" (I extracted the "missions_f_epa.pbo" file for both profile folders to make sure it's active) and for both profile folders, the folder structure is the same:

[USER]\Documents\Arma 3\missions\B_m02_2.Stratis

[USER]\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\[PROFILE NAME]\missions\B_m02_2.Stratis

3.) I temporarily turned off bCombat AI mod just to make sure, no mod possibly interferes/overrides my AI script...

4.) I enabled the "show script errors" function in Arma 3 launcher

5.) I repeatedly played the "B_m02_2.Stratis" mission ("Attention Deficit") in order to test the script - first with all subskills set to "0.1" and then all subskills set to "1.0". And I double-checked that.

6.) I checked some of the .rpt files for any instance of "init.sqf" or "script" or just " .sqf " keywords. I've found nothing relevant so far...

The result:

It still doesn't seem to work! I checked everything multiple times just to be sure everything is correct - I still don't know what I did wrong or what went wrong...

Avaiting further advise...

Thx,

TSOM

On 6/15/2017 at 7:07 AM, sarogahtyp said:

It makes no difference. Please don't create confusion.