Hello guys,

this is more a question directed to someone of the Bohemia Staff. Maybe there is someone, who is responsible for the steam workshop. I could have posted this to troubleshouting, but I thought it would be better to ask this as a question.

The last few months and years there are more and more communitys, wich decide to copy some mods toghether and publish them to the steam workshop, wich totally floods him. Basicly I have nothing against it... but here comes the but, it's annoying to search! for real new mods in the workshop.

I think there should be a new category:  Clan collections or a similar name.      And there should be a option to hide those "addons" forever from your steam client...

Maybe there are more peoples, more specifically other modders, who agree with me.

cheers IN005

you can't upload any content to STEAMWORKSHOP unless you own explicit IP/publishing rights to do ...

it's not some random mirror on internet and those terms must be respected

• Like 1

Agree. Though, hiding feature may be a thing to ask Steam staff. But "collection" category seems fine by me.

2 minutes ago, dwarden said:

you can't upload any content to STEAMWORKSHOP unless you own explicit IP/publishing rights to do ...

it's not some random mirror on internet and those terms must be respected

You can meet a lot of these mod collections on the workshop, basically people use these as life-server mods. 

and they being removed when found/reported but in limits of what's humanly possible (logistics)

• Like 2

Just now, dwarden said:

and they being removed when found/reported but in limits of what's humanly possible (logistics)

Thats why I asked for a new category, because not every modder wants to check thousends of thousends of life community addons, milsim addons etc....  for their content to report it.    So those kiddys would have a new option to click on and everyone who hides this category could only see real addons/mods... in theory.

I agree with you, in the sense that the Steam workshop's recently uploaded is flooded with repacks of other people's work. Besides the possible copyright and IP conflicts that may arise, it does clutter up the recently uploaded section making it more difficult to find those new addons. A new "section" though wouldn't help much, seeing as how 13/14/15 y/o just go down the line of tags, adding everything available to get the most clicks. What I really wish is for Valve to allow game companies to control their communities. I only see that as a benefit. Allow for the devs to assign a moderating team for their steam community, workshops, etc. Less work for valve's moderators, and less grief for game devs, creators, and users from being nearly helpless. As Dwarden has said, you aren't allowed to upload to the steam workshop without having the rights, however with the lack of moderation, people disrespect the rules and seem to believe adding a workshop mirror is "OK" under the claim that it's a "Workshop port". It seems to be a free for all of repacking and reuploading... And a shame at that. But hey, when has Valve ever listened to public opinion?

• Like 1

It's just not realistic to be able to take down all those mod-packs and stuff, it isn't going to happen and its not like Valve wants to bother with that anyway, and Bohemia doesn't have the resources.

Just make a modpack category, we all know people are going to upload things they don't own, but there are probably some legitimate mod-packs as well, or even authors wanting to make a modpack of their own mods or something like that. At least that way, we can just not have to see all of the modpacks.

The community being able to self police itself in that regard might take some stress off the BI logistics department in regard of deleting those addon packs that include other people´s work. Maybe a simple algorithm that "locks" an addon after a certain subscriber/report ratio. The uploader can then only "unlock" his addon after supplying an permission of the original uploader.

Even better would be a system that compares the files of already uploaded addons with adons that are on the workshop and if they are identical the upload is blocked. Although I imagine something like that would be hard to pull off and would require a large infrastructure just to go through all the files so it´s probably not possible.

Giving an extra "collection" category is not a viable solution imo for 3 reasons:

1. It gives validation to the IP breachers

2. Most IP breachers don´t use the tags properly anyway (as hnchmc already mentioned)

3. There already are "collections", it´s just that this functionality is kind of hidden. (It might convince some IP breachers to use this method if the already existing "collections" functionality would be more exposed)

• Like 2

Actually the solution does lie with Valve; but I suspect a combination of fecklessness and corporate greed means they will never implement it.... however:

1. Anyone uploading another's IP without permission gets a first warning as well as the deletion of  everything  they have uploaded to Steam workshop ['SW]''

'Everything' because that obviates the need for Valve or anyone else to have to evaluate other uploads by the offender, and deters them and others from similar acts.

2. On a second offense, as (1) but with additionally suspension of their entire Steam account for 3 months.

3. On a 3rd offense; suspension of their account for 180 days.

4. On a 4th occurence, suspension for 2 years (even the most determinedly stupid subscriber will decide this isn't worth it).

Of course thatt might initially lead to a small drop in Steam's sales revenue, but that would trivially not persist.

again it's not that simple because creating accounts is easy on STEAM

linking it with phone numbers doesn't solve it much as some countries have cheap/anonymous ones

linking it with games ownership neither because 'sales'

etc.

As far as groups go, I kind of wish more people would do something along the lines of making the mods/collection friends only, created by the group admin/leader.

That way when you add the group leader the mods become visible on workshop but it's not cluttering the place for others.