ADV - ACE CPR

Giving you a second chance if your everyday CPR doesn't do squat.

4A5A61146B2A6430AA0AFE19E171F6344E32CAC2

UPDATED INFO:

Dear community!

I spent a lot of time here on the board and writing mods for my own community and you to use. And it has always been fun for me. But I haven't played Arma in over a year now and modding without using the fruits of one owns labour would be equally selfless and tedious. So I quietly waited out the end-of-life timer of my mod, as it was only a question of time when ace³ would release their medical rewrite. As of 1. January 2020 this has now happened. I therefore decided to drop my work on ADV - ACE CPR completely. My mod still works with ace³ versions below 3.12.6, so there's still the option to keep using it (but I'd recommend dropping my mod to update ace³ to the newest version!). Additionally you may visit my github and download all my ADV-ACE CPR data and modify, rework or base your own work, and distribute the mod as you see fit. The licence has been updated to reflect this, as with version 1.5.7 only the ace³ provided GPL 2.0 licence applies. Please feel free to post links to your work in this thread, so I can include the successors of ADV - ACE CPR in this first post.

Sometimes I may even still come here and take a look at questions, but please don't expect too quick an answer.

I have to thank the whole community for their positivity, help and support not just for me, but for every mod creator out there. When I started I didn't think something so small and simple as a mod that simply modifies the way CPR works, would be used so widely and by so many people.  I'm thankful to have had this opportunity. You guys have been lovely to work with and I hope someone will pick up the lantern and provide you with the additional medical mods you need! Have fun!

Current versions that came to my attention:

On 1/11/2020 at 1:36 AM, pike713 said:

I have created an update that appears to be compatible with the medical rewrite. The mod can be found here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1957746437

/////////////////

OLD TEXT:

My community and I had a serious problem with the way ACE handles its CPR.

If you're playing with ace_medical_enableRevive=1 you might have found out that CPR practically does nothing as long as your patient has no pulse (i.e. is in the revive state). You would need to use a Personal Aid Kit to revive your patient, setting all his health variables back to their start values - practically doing a magical heal with the magical wand called PAK.

With adv_aceCPR you can finally use CPR to get someone out of the revive state without healing him completely, making gameplay much more interesting.

After successfully "stabilizing" the patient, he/she will have a basic pulse of at least 30bpm. ACE-doctors have a 40% success rate and ACE-medics have a 15% success rate. Regular riflemen can resuscitate a patient, but they will have a much lower success rate. They can still keep the patient from dying due to an expired revive timer though. The success rate is lowered if the patient looses blood and is raised if the patient received Epinephrine right before CPR. The minimum rate is always 2%, unless the player starts with a success probability of 0 (look at "For mission builders" for additonal info).

Depending on your settings (adv_aceCPR_maxTime, see below) you might be too late to resuscitate a player with CPR alone - in that case I have good news for you:
With version 1.4.0 a new item has been added to ADV - ACE CPR: A defibrillator.
The defibrillator works almost like the CPR action, but you have to have an AED in your inventory and it's much faster and the success rate is way higher.
Using the defibrillator will induce pain to all units who stand too close to a patient when the defibrillator is used (except for the operator).
You can only use the defibrillator if you're a medic (ace_medical_medicClass > 0).

With version 1.5.4 I have added the option to use stationary AEDs. You can set the stationary AED objects via CBA settings. Default is Land_Defibrillator_F.
You can place a stationary AED via editor or curator. Players can approach the item and use an ACE action to activate the stationary AED.
By activating it they have 12 seconds to use it on any unconscious patient in a radius of five meters. After 12 seconds the stationary AED will deactivate again.

I recommend using ADV - ACE Splint additionally to ADV - ACE CPR - not just because I'm the modest author, but because these two mods offer the things I felt missing in the current version of ACE³.

Download:

The most current version (1.5.7) can be downloaded here: https://github.com/Pergor/ADV_Medical/releases/download/1.5.7/@adv_aceCPR.zip

Or get it at armaholic (thanks to foxhound!):

news_download_a3_3.png
ADV - ACE CPR v1.5.5

For now I uploaded ADV-ACE CPR to Steam Workshop as well:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1104460924

required_addons.png
Advanced Combat Environment 3 (ACE 3)
Community Base addons A3

The Addon is signed and has a bikey. And of course ACE³ is needed - adv_aceCPR works with at least version 3.12.6

For mission builders:

You can set the probabilities for successful resuscitation individually depending on the value for ace_medical_medicClass a player's unit has, or the time to be added to the revive timer or the duration during which CPR can still be applied successfully.
The easiest way to do this is via CBA Settings ( https://github.com/CBATeam/CBA_A3/wiki/CBA-Settings-System ). Alternatively you can use the following variables in your mission:

adv_aceCPR_probabilities = [40,15,5,85];    //the first entry is for ace_medical_medicClass == 2, the second for == 1, the third for regular units with ace_medical_medicClass == 0 and the fourth one for the defibrillator.

So if you want to disable CPR for any player with less than ace_medical_medicClass below 2 just use something like this:

adv_aceCPR_probabilities = [40,0,0,85];

The time to be added to the revive timer (+/-3 seconds) can additionally be set with this variable (default is 30, maximum is 40, minimum is 15 - if set to anything below 18 there's a chance you spend more time on CPR than you gain):

adv_aceCPR_addTime = 30;

To set the duration during which CPR can still be applied successfully, you can set adv_aceCPR_maxTime.

(Eg. if your ace_medical_maxReviveTime is 600 seconds and you want players to only be able to resuscitate patients for 300 seconds, set it to 300. If the value is higher than ace_medical_maxReviveTime, it will revert to ace_medical_maxReviveTime). After this time you have to use AED or PAK to resuscitate a player (default is 1200). In other words: after adv_aceCPR_maxTime each CPR only adds time to the revive timer, it won't bring your buddies back:

adv_aceCPR_maxTime = 300;

The classname for the defribrillator item is

"adv_aceCPR_AED"

I highly recommend to adjust the values for adv_aceCPR_probabilities when handing out the AED.

Current issues:

- Unknown

Special thanks:

- LeWarz and the whole Spezialeinheit Luchs for playtesting

- Markus from Boom Tools Filmton for his support and the AED sound!

- T.Fork

- NorX Aengell

- DeliciousJaffa

- GodofMonkeys

- veteran29

- corp-0

Changelog:

1.5.7:

• Updated: licence

Spoiler

1.5.6:

• ADDED: spanish translation (Thanks to corp-0!)

1.5.5:

• FIXED: Duplication of aedstation-actions.
  • FIXED: RPT spam from checkPulse-action.
  • ADDED: Polish translation. (Thanks to veteran29!)

1.5.4:

• IMPROVED: compatibility to diwako_ragdoll.
  • IMPROVED: added new sound and reworked aed station sounds.
  • IMPROVED: added adv_aceCPR_aed to ace medical advanced crate.
  • IMPROVED: replaced ace_medical_fnc_actionCheckPulseLocal with slightly edited function.
  • IMPROVED: added chinese translation (thanks to GodofMonkeys!)
  • IMPROVED: added stationary AED.

1.5.3:

• IMPROVED: isResurrectable should always return true if only ace_medical_inCardiacArrest is true.
  • IMPROVED: removed superfluous check for ace_medical_enableRevive.
  • IMPROVED: variables will be set to nil instead of false. Might mitigate issues. Don't know...
  • IMPROVED: added check for inReviveState OR inCardiacArrest.

1.5.2:

• ADDED: setting to enable AED usage only in medical facilities/medical vehicles/both/all.

1.5.1:

• ADDED: Setting to enable/disable ADV - ACE CPR.

1.5.0:

• ADDED: added cba settings.
  • ADDED: setting for maximum duration for CPR to be still successful.
  • IMPROVED: time added to revive-timer upon CPR now depending on new variable adv_aceCPR_timeAdd.
  • REMOVED: deprecated variables adv_aceCPR_onlyDoctors and adv_aceCPR_quotient.

1.4.10:

• IMPROVED: added french translation to stringtable.xml - courtesy of NorX Aengell.

1.4.9:

• FIXED: removed superfluous animation start on CPR or AED action.

1.4.8:

• FIXED: Compatibility to ACE 3.11.0

1.4.7:

• FIXED: removed time quotient again - seemed to cause issues.

1.4.6:

• IMPROVED: Added model for defibrillator.

1.4.5:

• FIXED: wrong query for revive enabled.
  • IMPROVED: pulse reducing medication will now lower the chance of success significantly.

1.4.4:

• IMPROVED: adv_aceCPR_quotient will revert to 1 for values below 1.
  • IMPROVED: changed nomenclature of functions.
  • IMPROVED: moved call for fn_addTime.
  • IMPROVED: readded time quotient.
  • IMPROVED: bloodvolume and pulse will only be reset if revive is enabled.
  • IMPROVED: morphine now lowers probability.

1.4.3:

• FIXED: CPR action wasn't available in some cases.

1.4.2:

• IMPROVED: Raised weight of AED item.
  • IMPROVED: AED will "show" heartrate of patient after use.
  • IMPROVED: Added pain for every use of AED.
  • IMPROVED: Added probability for AED to adv_aceCPR_probabilities.
  • MATCHED: licence

1.4.1:

• ADDED: sound for AED (great shoutout to Boom Tools Filmton!)
  • FIXED: Wrong function called on non-local AED usage.

1.4.0:

• ADDED: New defibrillator item.

1.3.4:

• FIXED: CPR hasn't been working properly since 1.3.3. Should be fixed now.

1.3.3:

• FIXED: CPR not possible in cardiac arrest (Thanks to T.Fork for pointing that out!)

1.3.2:

• Changed animation for CPR action.
  • Added prefix to pbo.

1.3:

• Added new variable adv_aceCPR_probabilities that contains an array of probabilities for [ace_medical_medicClass == 2, ace_medical_medicClass == 1, ace_medical_medicClass == 0 ]. Default values are: [40,15,5].
  • Added new debugging function to streamline the code.
  • Standard ACE-CPR is no longer executed additionally.
  • Revive timer will now gain a random value between 0 and 5 seconds additional to the 15 seconds the action takes to perform.

1.24:

• adv_aceCPR_onlyDoctors can now have a value of 0 (all can resuscitate), 1 (medics and doctors can resuscitate), 2 (only doctors can resuscitate). Compatibility with boolean-values is still provided (false for 0, true for 2).

1.22:

• reduced probability of successfull resuscitation for regular soldiers.

1.21:

• added variable adv_aceCPR_onlyDoctors (default: false) to allow successfull CPR only for medics with ace_medical_medicClass = 2.
  • updated ReadMe & license.

1.2:

• added a lot of debugging possibilities (set adv_aceCPR_diag = true).
  • added changing probability of success depending on medication and bloodloss.
  • fixed a minor locality issue.

1.1:

• Fixed locality issues.

1.0:

• First build

And of course, the licence:

This addon - as a whole - is allowed to be copied, distributed or modified as per the GPL-2.0 licence.

Additional terms apply for the usage of this addon:

You may not use this addon or parts or derivatives of it for any commercial purposes, including monetized game servers.

This addon or parts or derivatives of it may not be used in any derivative of Life gamemode.

Different licences may apply to parts of this addon if it's not copied or distributed as a whole.

• Like 10

Updated to version 1.1 - hopefully the locality issue has been solved by using cba-eventhandlers.

Updated to version 1.2 - changed first post, including licence.

Hey foxhound, thanks for your upload! But it seems the mod is not linked to my profile (username Belbo - and not belbo). Could you look into that please?

Sorry, forgot to change it (again?). I have updated the page and assigned it to your account.

Thank you very much! :)

Updated to version 1.22 - changed first post, including info for mission builders.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to have it so that medics and doctors can use CPR to resuscitate someone, while non-medical personnel can only extend the timer?

With

adv_aceCPR_onlyDoctors = true;

you can set it so only ace-doctors (with ace_medical_medicClass == 2) can resuscitate. I'm considering to change it so you can define from which ace_medical_medicClass value upward you can resuscitate.

#edit: I've updated it so you can set a numerical value for adv_aceCPR_onlyDoctors depending on which players you want to be able to resuscitate incapacitated players: 0 = all players; 1 = only players with ace_medical_medicClass >= 1; 2 = only players with ace_medical_medicClass == 2.

Updated to version 1.24 - changed first post, including info for mission builders.

Mind you, if ace_medical_increaseTrainingInLocations > 0 then regular players can still resuscitate, as long as they are in a medic location or vehicle.

Updated description, image and generally first post.

Thanks for the mod, it looks awesome.

I'd like to throw a few remarks in, though ...

On 27/03/2017 at 1:45 PM, belbo said:

If you're playing with ace_medical_enableRevive=1 you might have found out that CPR practically does nothing as long as your patient has no pulse (i.e. is in the revive state). You would need to use a Personal Aid Kit to revive your patient, setting all his health variables back to their start values - practically doing a magical heal with the magical wand called PAK.

Actually, there are two different states where the patient has no pulse :

The patient might be in cardiac arrest (because of extreme values of heart rate / blood pressure), and each CPR has a 40% chance of restoring heart rate.

The patient can be in revive mode (instead of dying), and CPR will extend the revive state duration (which is useless when that state duration is not finite).

Advanced medical simulation in ACE was initially developed without revive state, and players would just die when they took damage ; then they would either disconnect or respawn.

Revive was then added to allow raising dead players with a vanilla-like mechanism, and shorten the reinforcements time.

When it comes to your mod, I'm not very sure that I'll use it. On one hand, ACE does provide a revive-state / PAK-raise which will put the patient in a very healthy condition, which is not realistic. On the other hand, your mod does restore pulse with CPR only on a bleeding patient which is not realistic either ; CPR only restore pulse scarcely, mostly for ventilatory causes such as drowning or chocking which are not yet handled by ACE. I wish you could add a new PAK-like item (a defibrillator ?) which could only restore heart pulse, and not restore actual health. I would definitely use it then.

Regards

Yes, you're right there.

The problem with the cardiac arrest state in ace³ is that it almost never occurs - the only viable way to fall in cardiac arrest is by bloodloss or medication. The extension of revive time by CPR is almost neglegible, as it adds a random value of 0 to 20 seconds to the revive timer with a fixed cost of 15 seconds (well... practically it doesn't but that's another point). So the current implementation is either useless or cosmetic at best.

My mod's goal is not to deliver a realistic system for CPR (that will come with the ace_medical-overhaul we are all long awaiting) but rather a playable system that provides players with the option not to have their 'fallen' magically revived by a wand and especially remove the need to have special items or abilities to resuscitate an incapacitated player.

I thought about adding a defibrilator item to the game - but dismissed that idea, since it would basically do the same thing just in a less gamey costume (and be more of a hazzle ;)). That's why I went with the ace³-CPR action instead. Additionally, the way "health" is handled by ace is a bit curious as well. The values of heart rate, blood pressure and blood volume are in parts connected, so raising just one value will rub off on the others. If blood volume is too low your patient instantly reenters the revive state. That's why my CPR is only removing the revive state and raising the heart rate and blood volume to survivable values.

But thanks for your remarks!

I recommend making it possible to change the chance of restoring heart rate. Makes it a bit more user friendly, I know theres times in training where teaching medical that it's a lot easier if theres less room for failure, then later on they still know what to do, but theres a chance that they'll fail. 

None the less, it's a nice little addition, maybe head over to the github and push a commit, or suggest a push and see if the rest of the guys like your idea. ACE3 is always looking to expand and the guys over there are good blokes. 

I thought about that as well.

But in that case I'd recommend setting ace_medical_medicClass for the trainees to 2. That way, if you're giving the patient epinephrine before you use CPR on him, the chance to resuscitate him is at 50%.

I keep it in mind and will create an array in the next version with which you can define the probabilities for each ace_medical_medicClass instead of or additional to adv_aceCPR_onlyDoctors. Then you could set them like this: adv_aceCPR_probabilities = [40,15,5]; or [100,100,100]; or however you like.

Updated to version 1.3 - changed first post, including info for mission builders.

And a polite plea to foxhound: If you could update the thumbnail, Description and Usage at http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32574 that'd be really wonderful.

• Like 1

Will they publish this mod on Steam?