kremator

Broken AI respawn in popular games since 1.68

Dear Devs,

Posting here to get some visibility - otherwise it will get lost.  Game modes (CTI and Warfare) that rely on AI respawning has been broken by 1.68.  So this is a major problem - with no words from DEVs.  Can we at least give the mission authors some chance at understand what has been borked in 1.68 please?

I'm sure a LOT of people will chime in here.  And please DON'T tell me to post it on the fecking tracker.

• Like 3

Can you pls provide more info? Broken in what sense?

• Like 1

Although I haven't checked on a dedi yet, I see you brought a patch to fix vehicle respawn.  Hopefully this will fix the issue.

EDIT:  Nope any mission I try with AI that respawn (BECTI, CRCTI etc) all broken as the AI cannot respawn.  Could we get some idea of what you have changed with AI respawns so that we can help mission makers?

On 31.3.2017 at 2:15 AM, oukej said:

Can you pls provide more info? Broken in what sense?

AI squads should respawn after death triggered on markers named Respawn_West/East. (Description.exe / respawn = 3;)

They don´t do it since 1.68 anymore. What they do is laying down till the server cleans them off. Then they are at pos x0-y0 of the map.

This happens if they are squadleader with no squad. If they do have squadmembers they respawn 95%, and in 5% of all cases they do respawn into one of their squadmembers.

Even human players respawn with vanilla weapons sometimes.

I guess it has something to do with checking death or with a change on the new respawn module of A3.

We had problems like this in ArmA1 and never since then anymore.

The whole cti community is waiting for information aiming to this bug.

Help is very welcome af right now...

ps.

another ticket about it https://feedback.bistudio.com/T124098

• Like 2

yep there is definitely something wrong with respawn since 1.68

users do report server crashes with error message "a3/fuctions/param_revive"

using admin command #missions with my cold war mission, which is too a CTI

this mission uses respawn parameters/settings following official wiki

I've tried a combination of 64bit dedi server/64 bit client, 32bit dedi server and 64 bit client ... NOTHING WORKS  - the AI is not respawning. 

BIS, your fix 'Fixed: The Vehicle Respawn Module would only respawn a vehicle once ' did not work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kremator said:

I've tried a combination of 64bit dedi server/64 bit client, 32bit dedi server and 64 bit client ... NOTHING WORKS  - the AI is not respawning. 

BIS, your fix 'Fixed: The Vehicle Respawn Module would only respawn a vehicle once ' did not work.

Hi there, could you specify why? It seems to work fine for me, can you please post a reliable repro?

Thanks!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, neokika said:

Hi there, could you specify why? It seems to work fine for me, can you please post a reliable repro?

Thanks!

Hi, if you need I can point you to some of the bits that have been tweaked in the vehicle respawn module, at least some of them.

My battleye detected some changes in the recent hotfix

"
_newVeh setVariable [_x, _veh getVariable _x];
}
forEach allVariables _veh;

_newVeh setvariable ["BIS_fnc_moduleRespawnVehicl"

I guess search for that stuff to find the changed bits

I dont use this respawn module though, so I don't know about the above issues.

@fn_Quiksilver just to be sure you do not have on server the 'workaround' pbo from my dropbox (for use via -servermod=) ?

3 minutes ago, dwarden said:

@fn_Quiksilver just to be sure you do not have on server the 'workaround' pbo from my dropbox (for use via -servermod=) ?

im on 1.68 stable server binary, no prof/perf/workaround for server atm,  to be clear i dont use the respawn module so nothing of mine is broken, just thought id post that there were some changes in the vehicle respawn module detected by our battleye filters

56 minutes ago, neokika said:

Thanks!

Hi neokika,

Vanilla arma3 (64 bit or 32 bit makes no difference) and play BECTI (where your AI leaders must respawn) - after they get killed (and would normally respawn back at base) they remain dead.

21 hours ago, Muecke said:

AI squads should respawn after death triggered on markers named Respawn_West/East. (Description.exe / respawn = 3;)

They don´t do it since 1.68 anymore. What they do is laying down till the server cleans them off. Then they are at pos x0-y0 of the map.

This happens if they are squadleader with no squad. If they do have squadmembers they respawn 95%, and in 5% of all cases they do respawn into one of their squadmembers.

Even human players respawn with vanilla weapons sometimes.

I guess it has something to do with checking death or with a change on the new respawn module of A3.

We had problems like this in ArmA1 and never since then anymore.

The whole cti community is waiting for information aiming to this bug.

Help is very welcome af right now...

ps.

another ticket about it https://feedback.bistudio.com/T124098

The only thing that looks odd in the RPT is spamming of the following when a group leader AI dies.

16:38:19 Error compiling '' in 'HitPelvis'
16:38:19 Error compiling '' in 'HitAbdomen'
16:38:19 Error compiling '' in 'HitDiaphragm'
16:38:19 Error compiling '' in 'HitChest'
16:38:19 Error compiling '' in 'HitArms'
16:38:19 Error compiling '' in 'HitLegs'
16:38:28 Error compiling '' in 'HitPelvis'
16:38:28 Error compiling '' in 'HitAbdomen'
16:38:28 Error compiling '' in 'HitDiaphragm'
16:38:28 Error compiling '' in 'HitChest'
16:38:28 Error compiling '' in 'HitArms'
16:38:28 Error compiling '' in 'HitLegs'

All mission makers need to know is what changed regarding the respawn that is now stopping this function.

1.68 also broke the big VTOL Blackfish respawn in the King of the Hill servers.

When you buy one it appears okay at the respawn point but slowly slides backwards and forwards hitting things and squashing any poor slobs trying to board it, and the brakes have no effect.

Also when you land the thing and come to a stop, it begins sliding backwards and forwards again.

PS- 1.68 has also affected the Titan AA launcher, it now takes ages to get a solid lock on helos and planes by which time they've usually buggered off out of effective range or ducked behind a hill etc.

Thanks spike, but we want to keep focussed on the AI here please.

UPDATE:  More information .... The issue only seems to occur in a dedi server.  On a local host there is no issue, and the AI respawn as intended.

7 minutes ago, kremator said:

UPDATE:  More information .... The issue only seems to occur in a dedi server.  On a local host there is no issue, and the AI respawn as intended.

I can confirm this !

Also just to say if not sayed before: The slots are ai but playable. If humans play in those slots respawn works.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BIS_QUALITY_ASSURANCE said:

LOL I like your handle :)

Seems like it is a problem with the dedi server not liking AI respawn :(

Ok, i reworked the crCTI mission to make it playable vanilla with no mods.

So its possible for BI to check or reproduce.

https://www.file-upload.net/download-12419426/crCTI_BI_Reproduce.altis.pbo.html

Dedicated server is needed!

My Teamserver is free to use https://arma3-servers.net/server/12386/

MissionName = crCTI_BI_Reproduce.altis

• Like 2

Tested with original BECTI 0.97 as well as latest version available here: https://github.com/BennyBoy-/BECTI

Results:

- AI squad leader respawn fails when no units in group or spawn into group member is not permitted

- "reactivation" of the "dead" AI slot is possible with the same method as for crCTI: a human player must JIP the slot and leave, after that AI is properly reinitialised

Thanks for the extra information.  Seems like this only happens on dedi servers however.  On a local host there are no issues.  Hoping that Devs will be able to explore this (or tell mission makers what they need to change!)

To all server owners who suffer from this bug, would you do me a favour and test it on your server with difficulty regular ?

After 1.58 the difficulty settings for the servers are fixed. I tryed the latest hotfix to check maybe the CTI fans of BI have done some for us.

Accidently I tested the AI respawn on regular setting. It worked 99%.

On Veteran it does not work. There are some differences between them. First thought is the command mapContent = 1;

maybe respawn markers are not visible or trackable in higher difficulties ?

I added this command into my custom difficulty setting but it does not work that way.

But thats a lead maybe ?!

• Like 1

I just tried the new Hotfix and still doesn't work on dedi.  However I normally play on Regular anyway, so I wonder exactly what the problem is .... still no hints from BIS :(

I still cannot think of why it works perfectly on a local host but yet NOT on a dedi. 

try new profiling branch performance binary please

• Like 3

Working on my end with 168_141231_v12. I hope others can reproduce. Many thanks Dwarden!