flexgrip

How to get "required addons" to show up in launcher

Hello,

I'm sorry to post. I've read and tinkered with settings for days and there don't seem to be any clear docs on this.

The basic problem is: I'm trying to allow my group to join the server via the vanilla launcher. But when they go to join the server, I can't get any mods to show up in the "Required Addons" section. Here's what I've tried...

• Mods are launched via the -mod parameter (of course)
  • All mod's keys are in the keys folder
  • Mission.sqm's define mods in the addons[] and addonsAuto[] array
  • verifySignatured = 2
  • battleye enabled
  • My server is registered with out unit page

But no matter *what* I try, they don't show up in the required part. Here is what it looks like while trying to join...

launcher.png

I believe my server config is correct or close to it. So what does "Server can't transmit all data; list of required mods might be incomplete" mean? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you post the starting part of your server.rpt inside a spoiler, so we can see how the server starts?

Game and Steam Query Ports are open for the server?

Sure thing!

Edit: Apparently I don't know how to make a spoiler on this IPS forum. So let's try this: http://d.pr/n/mcVE

Edited by flexgrip
No idea how to make spoilers.

Also yes, I'm seeing all kinds of UDP ports around 2302 open and the server console doesn't have any of those "can't connect to steam query yada yada" lines in it. The firewall is disabled, but I can check the network settings to triple confirm. Is there a weird port that the server pings steam on?

It would be super helpful if the docs or someone who coded this gave us just a basic understanding of how this works... like... "The dedicated server looks at the mods.cpp inside of each mod, gets the steam file id and pushed that to steam query port over udp 1234". I can't find any mention of this stuff anywhere.

Good News: Solution incoming (95%)

Ok, the Modstring is wrong, what cause the problem for you.

The modstring don't contain the workshop IDs, it has to contain the folder names of the mods inside your arma 3 server root directory.

If you use for example CBA A3:

Download the mod on your server, put the mod inside your server root in a folder (name you can choose, but it's common to use @[Modname])

So put it in @CBA_A3 and also reference to that mod inside the modstring with -mod=@CBA_A3

Inside the @CBA_A3 folder should be directly the mod.cpp etc.

No, those numbers in the mod string are the folder names, not the workshop id. Well... actually they are the workshop id as well.

Basically, I'm using steamcmd to get the mods from the workshop onto the server. They are downloaded to the arma 3 server directory. So for instance, my @ace directory is named 463939057. So it's not that I was trying to load the mods via their workshop ID, it's that my mod folders are named 12345 instead of @mod. Get it?

The server loads fine and is running all of the mods. I can create a mission, put it on the server and then launch with the modpack and direct join. But the entire point of using the workshop is so that I can have my team join through the "Server" tab in the launcher and be told what mods they need to subscribe to.

Make sense?

Things would be so much easier if the workshop downloaded mods using file names instead of ID's :)

Ok, thought you maybe added the IDs because some games support this in company with the workshop.

But if they're your folder names and everything on the server works fine and the only issue is that the mods won't show up in the BI A3 Launcher... well then I personally don't have a quick solution for this, sorry.

It could have been too nice, if the problem had been solved that easy way.

Haha yep! Well, I appreciate your help. The TL:DR to the question is still, "What is it that makes a workshop mod shows up in the 'required' section of the vanilla launcher?"

Many people say that any mod listed in the -mod parameter will show up there. But it's just not working for me. And there aren't many docs about this :(

On our server I've experienced also, that any mod which is loaded via the modstring is shown as needed from the vanilla launcher. And only the ones for which only the key is in the servers key folder, are listed under recommended.

One thing you could try, because I remember something what caused some problems (but really don't know anymore if it was ArmA related)

Your modstring argument has a length of 489

Try to shorten it (just for a real quick example) by rename each folder only with a, b, c, etc. or keep the string shorter by delete some mods in the string for this test.

I'll just throw 256 as limit for the first test in.

You know what? Someone else mentioned that it might be too long too. I'm going to test that in the morning.

• Like 1

I would like to know if that worked for you, as I am having the same issue over here as well..

First of start from scratch ... Remove all mods and remove all forign keys from the servers KEYs folder... launch the server you should see your server, and that it allows or requires NO mods..

Once you do that and it works post up .... and after you post up that you have dont that and it worked... ADD your mods ONE by ONE starting with the Dependencies (IE. @CBA_A3). Start with that ...  add the mod , and the key to the server. launch the server, if you can see that you server requiers CBA. then your on the right track.. Add your next mod... relaunch ... and so on until you run into the problem. remove the last mod before you had the problem ... and you will find out whats causing the problem. maybe 

• Like 1

It ended up having nothing to do with an individual mod, it's that the UDP stream can only send so many bytes before it gets truncated. So you can't have more than, say, 15-20 mods before it fails.

• Sad 1

That sucks, I played with a group that had 55 mods. And I use 41. 

Well, What I have been doing is just making a preset in the launcher. Then I upload it to our teamspeak, then they can download the file and then import it into to Arma 3 Laucher and thats it. All the mods will start downloading for them, they just need to save the preset.

This does seem to be a classic bit of ArmA.

We were getting  a similar error to @flexgrip : Server can't transmit all data; some allowed mods might be missing or their signatures not recognized

We have tried a lot things to try an cure the problem but after reading the discussion with @wyqer we moved most of the mods from the -mod parameter to the -serverMod parameter.

That cleared the sever error but the -mod parameters are treated as Mods required by server. The rest being in the Suggested and additional mods.  That is not how I was lead to believe it worked but hey, it works.  S

17 hours ago, strider42 said:

This does seem to be a classic bit of ArmA.

We were getting  a similar error to @flexgrip : Server can't transmit all data; some allowed mods might be missing or their signatures not recognized

We have tried a lot things to try an cure the problem but after reading the discussion with @wyqer we moved most of the mods from the -mod parameter to the -serverMod parameter.

That cleared the sever error but the -mod parameters are treated as Mods required by server. The rest being in the Suggested and additional mods.  That is not how I was lead to believe it worked but hey, it works.  S

I will test it, but I haven't seen that behavior. -serverMods are the mods that are not published to the client. I think the reason you are seeing the mods under "Suggested and additional mods" is because you have the keys in the keys folder. But hell, if it still works by putting some mods in -mods and some mods in -serverMods, then I can stop packing a bunch of mods together just to make shit work. I'll test it some more!

hey folks!

@flexgrip @strider42 

We run into the same problem with our server, what ended up being your solution ? adding mods in the same folder? truncating names to a,b,c or what else?

I tried moving mods from -mod to -servermod but that didn't do the trick for us..

Any suggestions are welcome!

Start with the basics.  Put a vanilla mission on the server with no mods and prove that is OK.

Then start adding the mods.  If there are not too many, add them singly.  If you have a lot put half of them on and keep halving the number of mods until it works.

Good luck  S

Hi and thank you for answering!

Done that, when testing fewer mods, everything works, when I reach a certain point of too many mods it breaks. It's not that a specific mod makes this issue, everything I added lately (4 mods) individually work fine, when added together they break arma launcher :(

Folks can connect to the server normally via A3Launcher as well as by manually entering with all required mods loaded via steam launcher but the error will make anyone not familiar with the workaround unable to join.

my start-up command line is this:

It didn't work when I had all mods with simply -@modname instead of full path so added the full path in case it works..

start /wait /min /high "Arma3" arma3server_x64.exe -name=SC -profiles=SC -config=F:\Games\Arma\Server\@ExileServer\config.cfg -port=2302 -BEPath=F:\Games\Arma\Server\battleye -cfg=F:\Games\Arma\Server\@ExileServer\basic.cfg "-mod=F:\Games\arma\server\@cba;F:\Games\arma\server\@rhsu;F:\Games\arma\server\@rhsr;F:\Games\arma\server\@rhsg;F:\Games\arma\server\@fox;F:\Games\arma\server\@bafv;F:\Games\arma\server\@cupu;F:\Games\arma\server\@cupw;F:\Games\arma\server\@cupv;F:\Games\arma\server\@jfa;F:\Games\arma\server\@z;F:\Games\arma\server\@zi;F:\Games\arma\server\@hmcs;F:\Games\arma\server\@nmtz;F:\Games\arma\server\@at;F:\Games\arma\server\@asl;F:\Games\arma\server\@ar;F:\Games\arma\server\@aur;F:\Games\arma\server\@ats;F:\Games\arma\server\@em;F:\Games\arma\server\@Exile;F:\Games\arma\server\@ebm;" "-servermod=F:\Games\arma\server\curator;F:\Games\arma\server\kart;F:\Games\arma\server\heli;F:\Games\arma\server\mark;F:\Games\arma\server\jets;F:\Games\arma\server\expansion;F:\Games\arma\server\@ATKS;F:\Games\arma\server\@Enigma;F:\Games\arma\server\@SLZ;F:\Games\arma\server\@ExileServer;" -autoinit -filePatching -loadMissionToMemory -nosound -enableHT

Another workaround is to edit verifySignatures = 2; to 0, but that's not desired either.

In above thread folks mentioned that maybe shortening the path by renaming mods or moving mods from -mod to -server mod methods worked for them, but have been unsuccesfull in my case, so wanted to hear back from someone who had a similar issue and managed to find a solution.

thank you.

qp

4 hours ago, bofhgr said:

Done that, when testing fewer mods, everything works, when I reach a certain point of too many mods it breaks. It's not that a specific mod makes this issue, everything I added lately (4 mods) individually work fine, when added together they break arma launcher :(

I like your approach, you can join the engineers any time.

4 hours ago, bofhgr said:

Folks can connect to the server normally via A3Launcher as well as by manually entering with all required mods loaded via steam launcher but the error will make anyone not familiar with the workaround unable to join.

If it is any consolation we still get a few people on our server even with the launcher errors.  I guess most know that the launcher is not that reliable.  We even tell them in the title that they need ACE and TFAR.  However is does mean that you look like a bunch of idiots who can't set a server up.

I use an identical setup to our problem game server on a locally hosted box and the is fine.

In above thread folks mentioned that maybe shortening the path by renaming mods or moving mods from -mod to -server mod methods worked for them, but have been unsuccesfull in my case, so wanted to hear back from someone who had a similar issue and managed to find a solution.

That was the same for me but thanks for the confirmation.

I do wonder if the issue is something to do with the performance setup (i.e. the basic.cfg file) or maybe a host issue.  Who are you using for your host.  I think we are on Gaming Deluxe.  S

2 hours ago, strider42 said:

I like your approach, you can join the engineers any time.

If it is any consolation we still get a few people on our server even with the launcher errors.  I guess most know that the launcher is not that reliable.  We even tell them in the title that they need ACE and TFAR.  However is does mean that you look like a bunch of idiots who can't set a server up.

I use an identical setup to our problem game server on a locally hosted box and the is fine.

That was the same for me but thanks for the confirmation.

I do wonder if the issue is something to do with the performance setup (i.e. the basic.cfg file) or maybe a host issue.  Who are you using for your host.  I think we are on Gaming Deluxe.  S

glad to know I am not the only one :)

we are running our server from a dedicated VM running on Microsoft Azure, so no issue there, all ports and everything is setup properly with a huge internet pipe.

interesting that you mention basic.cfg, below are my settings on this file, played with it a bit (see values in comments) but not sure how to optimize it.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Bandwidth Tuning 
//
// Be sure to adjust this to your server settings!
// This example is for 1GBit/s pipe
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// 100MB * 1024 * 1024 = 104857600
MinBandwidth = 107374182;
//was 107374182

// Do NOT set this too high or your Arma server will simulate ego-ddos
// 600MB * 1024 * 1024 = 629145600
MaxBandwidth = 1073741824;		

// Network Tuning 
// 
// Usually something we developers set. Only change these if you really know
// what you are doing. Do something wrong here and your sever will burn in hell 
// and cause massive desych.
MaxMsgSend = 512;
//was 2048, 128 default
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
// was 958 - 512 default
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 256;
//was 224 - def	256
MinErrorToSend = 0.002;
//was .002 def .001
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.02;
//was .002 def .001
MaxCustomFileSize = 0;			

just tried with the default values and didn't make a difference :(

OK. This is what we have on our public server:

language="English";
adapter=-1;
MinBandwidth=1000000;
MaxBandwidth=5000000;
MaxMsgSend=2048;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=768;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.10;
MinErrorToSend=0.003;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
serverLongitude=##; // hidden values to protect the guilty.
serverLatitude=##;
serverLongitudeAuto=##;
serverLatitudeAuto=##;

And this was my local server box

// Basic config file generated 05/09/2017 11:32 with TADST.

MaxMsgSend = 128;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 256;
MinBandwidth = 131072;
MaxBandwidth = 2097152000;
MinErrorToSend = 0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.01;
MaxCustomFileSize = 1310720;
class sockets{maxPacketSize = 1400;};
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
terrainGrid=25;
viewDistance=2000;
Windowed=0;

Sadly I'm not the admin for our server and I am about to take a leave of absence so I will be away from all my toys.

Having had a quick look at the values I'd like to play with the MaxCustomFileSize (Both the problem servers have it set to 0).  Sorry, away till the weekend.

Good luck  S   ; )