On 5/25/2017 at 2:19 PM, Foxone said:

Oh but it is not, it is stated in the forum rules that asking for an update is against the rules, i suggest you give them another read.

(ot) So...you are against people taking an interest in the mod...on a mod subforum? No offense to whoever created that rule, but that rule makes no sense, asking for updates a million times should be definitely against the rules and I'm all for that, but once in a while should be ok, even encouraged, if nothing else, it tells the mod developer that there are people who are actually interested in his hard work and the future of the mod, that want to help and so on, instead of just downloading whenever it is released and forgetting about the author.

If I was a dev, I would be happier seeing people eager to play my mod, than of a lot of people thanking me after the mod has been released.

(end of ot)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakers12 said:

(ot) So...you are against people taking an interest in the mod...on a mod subforum? No offense to whoever created that rule, but that rule makes no sense, asking for updates a million times should be definitely against the rules and I'm all for that, but once in a while should be ok, even encouraged, if nothing else, it tells the mod developer that there are people who are actually interested in his hard work and the future of the mod, that want to help and so on, instead of just downloading whenever it is released and forgetting about the author.

If I was a dev, I would be happier seeing people eager to play my mod, than of a lot of people thanking me after the mod has been released.

(end of ot)

Reason is, modmakers do this in their free time, meaning they don't work on this every single day for 8+ hours, therefore coming back to the forums and seeying 3 people asking for updates can be very demotivating, because people don't have the patience to wait for something. That is why the rule is there.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Foxone said:

Reason is, modmakers do this in their free time, meaning they don't work on this every single day for 8+ hours, therefore coming back to the forums and seeying 3 people asking for updates can be very demotivating, because people don't have the patience to wait for something. That is why the rule is there.

Are you a forum moderator or something? And I didn't see Snake Man(developer for this mod)  complaining about people asking questions about his mod. Funny!

• Like 1

No, but as a member of the modding community he is more than entitled to remind you of the rules you are breaking. 

Its like your friend or your mum telling you not to drive a car without a license because its illegal, sure, they're not cops, they can't arrest you, but they are aware of the rules and can warn you if you are breaking them BEFORE you are punished by the police, or in this case, moderators.

• Like 6

It doesnt matter if you agree with the rule, or if you think asking for an update occasionally is okay or not. The rule exists, and must be followed. We dont exactly have a massive amount of rules here, and the few we do have ensure that this forum stays a useful, friendly place free of the trolling and hostility found on too many sites. 

I have seen several  very good mod makers give up modding entirely as they got sick of being asked for updates. That is a massive loss to the community, and all because someone could not show a little patience.

• Like 8

I Decided to build a city on the Rutba map. The city itself is not Ar-Rutbah, but a fictional city inspired by it I call Muaskar Al-Musafir, or "The Camp of the Traveler". A common pit stop along a major trade route, the city was officially founded under British rule in 1919. It has since grown tremendously over the years but has recently been taken over by ISIS.

Please forgive me for not knowing how to embed images, links will have to do for now. 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388059350/C3D77FCBFA9A5B8046D86226328F141762939DE1/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388059162/24F13C22A6EBB08F40C74EF980C025734CAADFEF/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388058806/D55E2FA1E7398C08631DDCB054E798FC7C354F76/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388058611/4231237F479AE480F12A7E45C328D4830A94EE87/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388058459/E46C8C68BF004A56A61FC1ABE6BFB0BB55067F31/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388057432/EDAC75E77D947809A0DCB4C2E9024424A98FC5BB/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388058279/6935F885A8E8A16868D57B458034ABE7D0E1BBF0/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388058098/CF545912D9FDAE42185B0D7AAB148D4FCF839A9C/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388057907/F2FAEC5447CBE40F746FAC04D1AE3464D5D44B5B/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/784036741388056707/2784CE51A0C7FE43BE69D97FF09FF3FA42E95273/

It is still early in development, but I have been working on it as I am able every day for a week or more now. It seems like the further along it gets the faster it goes, so I hope to soon have an alpha version available as a mission soon.

• Like 2

When Jets DLC was announced I was so thrilled, but at the same time worried because there are no "large" maps Like South Asia in TOH, also knowing that South Asia was not "properly" ported to A3.

I think PMC terrains saved the day.

Being able to have 40 000 view distance without frame rate drops, and still not being able to see the end of the map really makes it feel like a flight sim.

The terrain moves so slow below your aircraft even while flying mach1.

Online on vanilla, or any other terrains for that matter, while being forced to have low view distance to preserve FPS, it feels so claustrophobic not seeing your target until you are too close. Then, time to react is non existent.

44 minutes ago, Aradol said:

I Decided to build a city

Looking good.

What are you using for object placement?

8 hours ago, venthorror said:

Looking good.

What are you using for object placement?

Thanks.

I'm just using Eden. I don't yet know how to properly make my objects part of a terrain.

1 hour ago, Aradol said:

Thanks.

I'm just using Eden. I don't yet know how to properly make my objects part of a terrain.

This surely is the next logical step for Eden *cough*BIS*cough* :D

• Like 1

Figured this would be a good question to ask. In my build I am using a variety of mods for objects. I am dreading trimming the fat so to speak but will if necessary. Currently the dependencies other than the obvious PMC mods are CUP terrains core, PLP containers, PLP Urban pack, xCam, and xCam Taunus (There are some objects added by Taunus that make life so much easier, and it's a nice map to boot.)

If I am going to cut this list I want to do it soon before the list gets too large. Any input would be appreciated.

Working on a CUP only version as suggested. It looks a little bare in some spots and some areas have to be replaced with something else. Will work on fixing holes. Since I am new here I need to ask, I am planing on moving this to its own thread but as I mentioned before, I currently only know how to save it as a mission but want find a better way to release it as part of a Terrain if original author approves. Which category should I make the new thread in?

Sorry guys for not updating this topic for a few weeks, its always good idea to check the official topic for info. I'll try to remember to post next weekly update here too.

I'm not asking for updates, just wonder if everything proceeds according to plan. So any news regarding the stage of development?

I have posted weekly updates in the official topic (check link from first post).

is there any chance to put there airport/airstrip textures?

Well phase 2 is about airbase and other elevations.

I Decided to build a city on the Rutba map.

Great, that is one of the ideas that these terrains are for people to place objects on. You know community effort.

The city itself is not Ar-Rutbah, but a fictional city

While its great that you're placing objects, I must say its really odd why are you creating an fictional city when there are dozens of terrains and probably hundreds of popoulated place locations to choose from. I mean there must be some real location which you like?

here are no "large" maps Like South Asia in TOH

TOH South Asia terrain is one of the motivations of me making these real world data terrains.

Currently the dependencies other than the obvious PMC mods are CUP terrains core, PLP containers, PLP Urban pack, xCam, and xCam Taunus

Here is the great and easy to remember addon list:

PMC Opteryx Objects - Middle Eastern Structures for Iraq, Syria and Libyan terrains and CUP objects (takistani) for afghanistan terrains.

If I am going to cut this list I want to do it soon before the list gets too large. Any input would be appreciated.

Cut that xcam taunus stuff right away.

I currently only know how to save it as a mission but want find a better way to release it as part of a Terrain if original author approves

It pains me to have to tell you this as I really love the object placement, but as these are real world data terrains, any fictional city created in location that has none is not going to be included in the official terrains.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I understood your fictional city.

Honestly, I know it's dumb, but the main reason for Rutba was that I couldn't get past having fake water on the map, and the reason for a fictional city was I couldn't find good enough references for the real Ar-Rutbah. I would love to make a real city but my stupid perfectionist OCD won't leave me alone. 

Based on the feedback, I am going to work on either a new map altogether, or a more accurate Rutba.

Just posted weekly update into PMC Tactical forums.

Not much to say really for this update, satellite textures are downloading and terrains compiling slowly but steadily.

Oh I've made couple of generic small missions for these terrains, I'm hoping a mission pack could be possible on the next release cycle. I want to have some sort of cutscene "showcase" mission which easily shows a lot of the terrain. Anyways we'll see what happens.

• Like 2

Hope you can get some new versions with Airfields down soon.  Been looking forward to using these for some long range combined arms operations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake Man said:

Just posted weekly update into PMC Tactical forums.

Not much to say really for this update, satellite textures are downloading and terrains compiling slowly but steadily.

Oh I've made couple of generic small missions for these terrains, I'm hoping a mission pack could be possible on the next release cycle. I want to have some sort of cutscene "showcase" mission which easily shows a lot of the terrain. Anyways we'll see what happens.

Yep, as soon as you have some Syrian or Afghan maps down with airfields, ill make some SF scenario's (including support assets like AC-130's)

• Like 2

best maps for air gameplay

Beriev A-50U AEW /Mosul 

8fc22aaa5773.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Snake!  Are you done completely populating all the towns yet?  LOL

Anyway I wanted to ping you because I keep forgetting - my underground missile silo/bunker "house".  This thing could do well on the terrain.  The "silo" area could of course be modified into just about anything you wanted to take the time to build.  It could be placed as a house on the map, or if you need I can give you the MLOD's so you can add it directly into the map w/ no further effort.

Either way the "roof" area just needs a bit of open scooped-out area to get to it.  Think "big swimming pool" dugout.

• Like 2

Do any of the terrains have flattened airports?  (No, I'm not asking for an update :smile_o:)

If it's possible to improve the map size to 1000km X 1000km?

Look at the viewdistance at 40KM, very beautiful !!!. Look a lot like the DCS Nevada.

D62312E151B9021ABFE42F474970933F9BEAA883

89C66A3155ECE8EBB04EEDCAE9D8833525ED1B64

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lao fei mao said:

If it's possible to improve the map size to 1000km X 1000km?

Such a map size does not really work in the arma  3 engine. From what I know the practical limitation of a map size is less than 200x200km, probably the sweet spot is at 120-150km.

• Like 1

Neeed more seeeeeds... getting 5 KB sec download :p

I'll give my thoughts after I finish downloading a map in like 2 days :p

All the terrain torrents have now Dscha seed and I'm seeding all day so should be good now.

Editing continues, yesterday spent all day working on the heightmaps for ocean depths, things are looking good.

• Like 3