Hi all i cant for the life of me fly helicopters with mouse/keyboard so I've been thinking about getting a joystick any recommendations????????? thanks

I use a HOTAS Warthog with extension, CH Pro Pedals, Track IR, and extra wide 34" monitor.

If you have money to spent then Warthog is the thing.. for now!

If you are not so keen with that fancy look and advanced features then you can go for this hotas:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t16000m-fcs-flight-pack

The joystick is contactless so that is the most precise in its class. You can also consider the pedals that you can find on the same site for even more immersion. 

A TrackIR will be very welcomed but you can also consider a cheaper open-source solution like facetrack/facenoair...

If DCS type of simulator is not on your radar then is more safe to stay with the cheaper version I have recommended to you.

+1 on what Abburo said. The T16km and the newer counterpart in the FCS pack is a very very _very_ good entry joystick/hotas. To be frank, it's internals are way better than many much more expensive hotas:es, like the x-55, x-56 etc.

If your going for realisim then im out of your scope. If you just want something that makes flying possible and actually fun, im currently using a ps3 controller with an emulator i simply put it down and go to keyboard for infantry, I can control all aircraft, and vehicles with ease. Just mapping it takes a while and i am constantly dealing with a bug where the controller remaps whatever it wants and is not visible getting more frustrating by the minute did not happen before the update.

Its was not a bug but my error I mapped a digital button as a digital and with a little ghost analog button in it causing my issue got it sorted out and yea a controller is still better than a keyboard and the "name brands" controllers for big box gaming do have reasonably great analog sensitivity.

Edited by mechanical
im an idiot

I see gamepads appropriate only for fight games like Mortal Combat , Tekken.. etc. Otherwise I found them extremely inaccurate especially for flight sims, even for arcade. But that's only me :).

I do play Arma3 with max level of simulation for helis. In this conditions a gamepad usage became a struggle more than an enjoyment. There are few reasons I am saying this:

- the joystick length/height is defining how precise your hand will be. Higher -> better precision

- gamepads usually have 8 bit controller which translates in only 256 steps in resolution. Only the latest ps controllers have 10 bits resolution = 1024 steps.

- T16000 have a 16 bit resolution controller (65536 positions) , with contactless sensors and normal height on joystick.

Now, anybody can do the math and choose whatever it suits for him/her.

for arma 3 a simple x-box controller does the job outstanding well !

if you don't intend to fly other serious flightsims like DCS then there is absolute no need to spend hundrets of dollars !

but if you really need a joystick buy a:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/tflight-hotas-x they are cheap and do work very good.

arma3 flight physics are a joke .... Thrustmaster Warthog for arma3, haha :face_palm: