CyclonicTuna

Were John Spartan and Saul employed by BI?

So I'm guessing that by now most people have seen the latest devblog by BI. I myself am actually quite excited for the new jets DLC, it looks great. One thing I noticed though when reading the latest blogpost was something written on the side of the new NATO jet, called the Black Wasp II.

Here's the image. Right underneath the wing, above the word NAVY, it says "USS Freedom".

Now anyone who likes flying aircraft in Arma like myself, probably knows of the the brilliant F/A-18X mod that was originally released by John Spartan and Saul here on the forums, and is now maintained by TeTeT if I'm not mistaken. However before they handed over that project they were talking about working on something "big", and they teased us with an image of a fictional next generation aircraft carrier which they called, you guessed it, the USS Freedom.

So I'm sort of putting this together:

1.  They stopped working on the F-18X mod which was called the "Black Wasp" and the new NATO jet by BI is called the "Black Wasp II". 

2.  Before they left they teased us by saying they were hard at work on something "kinda big". 

3.  Before that they showed interest in making an aircraft carrier for Arma 3 named the "USS Freedom" a name that has now resurfaced on the side of a new DLC jet. 

4.  In the new devblog video Jay Crowe stated that they have worked with third party developers from B01 studio's. Which suggests to me that Spartan and Saul now actually have their own production company (awesome :D)

5. In the same video you can clearly see there's motion capture work being done for flight deck crew.

Now ofcourse I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if you'd ask me John Spartan and Saul have started their own little game company, and were employed by BI to work on the Jets DLC. All if which fantastic, but I'd like to know if there's anyone here that can actually confirm/debunk this. 

• Like 1

Thread moved to the correct area of the forums, not sure why it was in the Addon Complete Section.

9 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Thread moved to the correct area of the forums, not sure why it was in the Addon Complete Section.

Posted it on the Addon section because I was referring to a popular mod, thought people might find it sooner that way. Thank you for moving. 

I think the circumstantial evidence is there for the addition of a carrier. The question is going to be if it's a DLC item or not. If not, how will the adverts be handled, and how oppressive will they be?

34 minutes ago, CyclonicTuna said:

Now ofcourse I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if you'd ask me John Spartan and Saul have started their own little game company, and were employed by BI to work on the Jets DLC. All if which fantastic, but I'd like to know if there's anyone here that can actually confirm/debunk this.

Yeah, pretty easy to confirm this. The DLC description says:

The Arma 3 Jets DLC is developed in partnership with third-party external development studio BRAVO ZERO ONE Studios, which is led by Make Arma Not War winner Joshua "Saul" Carpenter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadHabitz said:

I think the circumstantial evidence is there for the addition of a carrier. The question is going to be if it's a DLC item or not. If not, how will the adverts be handled, and how oppressive will they be?

Well in the video Jay Crowe mentioned "free bonus content" right when they played the clip of the guy motion capturing. So my best guess is that the carrier will be free DLC, perhaps something to go along with a new game mode? Although I do wonder how extensive this carrier will actually be given that its "free". Or perhaps its free in the same way that the Arma 2 PMC content was free but only paid if you wanted high quality models and textures.

Who knows, anyway I think its something to look forward to. 

Even if it is just a placeholder like the Khe Sahn, would be great indeed

1 minute ago, wiki said:

Even if it is just a placeholder like the Khe Sahn, would be great indeed

Maybe, but then again why would you do motion capture for flight deck crew if you aren't going to at least implement a feature for launching/landing aircraft?

Well, you could take off and land on the Khe Sahn.

Anyway, don't get ourselves too hyped, maybe it won't happen

2 minutes ago, wiki said:

Anyway, don't get ourselves too hyped, maybe it won't happen

Well even if it doesn't, I believe TeTeT is still working on the Nimtiz mod for Arma, which is coming along nicely. 

6 hours ago, BadHabitz said:

There won't be any advertising on bonus content.