Kuzuri

Bone overlap gives weighting issues.

As  title suggests, bone overlap gives some serious weighting issues. Is there a shortcut in objecting builder to prevent bone overlap or does it HAVE to be done by hand? 

A bit more information would be good. What do you mean by "overlap"? Are you referring to blending between weights? Are you trying to weight parts of the mesh 100% to a given selection? :smile_o:

Alright, for example, theres a vest with 3 selection, spine1, spine2 and spine3. Each selection overlaps over a few vertices with selections above and/or below it, and no matter what I do with weights they are never exactly 100. The RPT log is littered with errors. So, the workaround is to get rid of the overlap, a tedious process, near impossible if the model is detailed. So, the question is, is there a way, a shortcut, in object builder where i can automatically get rid of overlapped vertices? If not, how do i fix the weight issue?

You might want to try weighting your model outside Object Builder. The weight tools in OB are not the most easiest to use.

Suggestions? Blender? Any quick tutorial on weighting in blender?

19 minutes ago, Kuzuri said:

Suggestions? Blender? Any quick tutorial on weighting in blender?

Just google "blender: painting weights", there's like a million videos

Just went through blender... it's as imprecise as Object builder, still getting weight issues on the infinitesimal parts where there's overlap. But thanks for your help.

I don't understand how you can make that observation. The approach in each application is very different. You can assign specific weight to individual vertices or groups of them. Not to mention preview weight assignment in real-time to see how the mesh deforms. Blender is far from perfect, but any issues I've had regarding weighting were due to my own lack of experience.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you don't have blends between different sections you'll get plenty of clipping issues. I can't think of any situation where you'd want "hard" defined areas for a character. Unless you're talking about some kind of rigid armour.