torndeco

Chernarus Isles + Source Files

Chernarus Isles

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884988618

This is basically Chernarus and Utes maps from Arma2 combined together atm.

Other changes include
1) Duplicated map objects got removed
2) Some minor fixes to object positions on Chernarus
       Bench block barracks near top left airfield.
       Moved silo in chernarus so guard rails on top walkway are lined up correctly
       And some other minor changes

You should be able to use this in replace of Chernarus with existing positions i.e the mapsize is unchanged.
Also the SAT Image isn't perfectly blended in, but its good enough for now imo.

Download size is around 200-300MB

Requires CUPS Core & Maps

License APL-SA

Thanks to BIS for the licensed/sample data files and to CUPs Team for their work on Terrains.

Also to Pennysworth / Kju / Bushlurker and everyone else that i forget,
for helping with working out how to port A2 Content & recreating satellite mask image.

Note: Server Keys will be uploaded later this week, once its stable.
I still got some fixes i.e floating buildings to fix first.

------------------------------
Source files available at (under APL-SA License) https://gitlab.com/torndeco-aplsa/chernarus_isles

• Like 13

Good job man!....I remember Rocket talked about combining both islands for DayZ SA, it's great to see this in Arma 3.

Great work :) this will be very useful, espacially with a second reinforced airfield and all the military installations being available now.

The only issue I noticed is that the UUS Khe Sanh sits pretty low in the water (right in front of Cherno)

And a small road or bridge connecting Utes with the mainland would be useful (the land extension of Utes right next to Elektro could be used for that. But I can also see why people would not want the island connected with road infrastructure since it takes away from the "secluded island" feel.

I will look at connecting the islands, makes more sense but no promises.

My main issue is getting talented enough to alter the Satellite Image :)
Note: It is possible to drive over atm in a hatchback / hunter etc

I will take a look at the height of the UUS Khe Sanh, am pushing update later today sometime with some fixes.
Not 100% sure if i will leave it in or just remove it. That way people can add it via missions if needed etc

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, torndeco said:

Throw the heightmap in L3DT, let it calculate, it will generate a new satellite image, overlay that in PS with the existing and the land/sea will match 100% accurate, then use clone stamp to update the original sat image :thumbsup:

If you want some help then hit me up on Discord.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torndeco said:

I will look at connecting the islands, makes more sense but no promises.

Note: It is possible to drive over atm in a hatchback / hunter etc

I will take a look at the height of the UUS Khe Sanh, am pushing update later today sometime with some fixes.
Not 100% sure if i will leave it in or just remove it. That way people can add it via missions if needed etc

I think just removing it would be the best option. The placeable LHD made by the CUP Team is that much better than the standard arma 2 one and having 2 Khe Sanhs on the map would be kind of strange :f:

• Like 2

Just a minor update

Berezino: 2 Shipping Containers behind shop rotated, so open doors aren't glitching through a wall.
Fixed floating Land_A_Office01
Few other small fixes

Some ideas for improvements

-Utes is supposed to be further south east than that, Since altis is a bigger map than chernarus i dont find it impossible to expand the grid so Utes can be placed more properly

-Look through all the updated barracks buildings, as the CUP update that added JBAD made the closed ones have interiors, some of them however are underground (like the one on utes hill base)

• Like 1

Resizing the map envolves more work.
Basically it means checking the terrain cells don't go over 6 materials per cell.
And making adjustments to the satellite image / mask if it does
I want to avoid this, unless there is decent larger terrain to add.

Funny thing is the Utes object positions aren't altered all.
They are exported straight from Utes + imported to Chernarus.
It basically looks like someone at BIS was looking at putting Utes into that location at some point.

Thanks for info about the barracks will look at them tomorrow.

• Like 2

Oh for some lore help by the way, the chernarus we play on and know is only part of the actual country, the Region we know from ArmA 2 is South Zagoria. If you ever plan on expanding the map to make more to it custom, expand north and west. As those are areas not yet seen. With some reference maps i have seen of the ArmAverse world its likely chernarus starts getting more mountainous (in fact its likely the majority of the country is more mountainous due to the CDF using Mountain TTSKO over the woodland which works better in South Zagoria) and then slowly turns to desert until it reaches its border with takistan. Most references i have seen have also make it so its likely the continents in the Armaverse are not the same shape fully as they are in real life, likely something similar to icebreakr's "mass flood" that resulted in panthera. or just changed looks for creative purposes. 

ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg?version

• Like 3

It'll probably need to be indxed but i'm curious if this would work for ALiVE since non of the object locations for Utes have changed...

Object positions for terrain builder is different to object positions ingame  :(

21 hours ago, torndeco said:

Funny thing is the Utes object positions aren't altered all.
They are exported straight from Utes + imported to Chernarus.
It basically looks like someone at BIS was looking at putting Utes into that location at some point.

Yeah that is very interesting indeed!  Love the map!  :)

I always ASSUMED that that little island WAY off to the East was where Utes was supposed to be

From the looks of the map i posted (although i never got confirmation if canon, but its the only one i can find) Utes is 2-3 km south of where it currently is in this mod

I will be pushing update later today with server key and fixed single player games loading into chernarus instead of chernarus_isles.
I also removed the UUS Khe Sanh, allows people to spawn in there own etc
Note it is possible to drive over to Utes but it depends on the tide

After today will stop doing any major tweaks to the map.
I would like to keep the map stable so people can use it for servers / missions without worrying about drastic changes etc.

• Like 3

New Update on Steam

Some minor tweaks
Fixed issue with single player save/load game
ServerKey added 

The map should be stable now etc, i.e no major changes.
If in the future i do a major change will be packaged as a separate map

• Like 1

Really haven't had to work on this at all, been busy with RL & other Projects.
Source files are available at https://gitlab.com/torndeco-aplsa/chernarus_isles  if anyone is interested etc
Source directory isn't to clean with images for satmasks/sat images. But everything should be there & plus few extra backups/versions of images

Recommend if you new to editing to look at https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain 
I didn't look at that wiki when i did chernarus_isles, so there are prob some tips there that could be useful to setting up the project etc
GL

• Like 1